When is enough really enough?

• HTML tutorial

Should I keep spending money on my daily driver or should I scrap it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I guess I could reconsider, but I want to try something else for a couple years, I also need to find my 16" wheels (I forgot where I put them when I bought the 17's with allterrain tires).

Speaking of tires, why are the BFG KO2's so popular anyway?

@4wheelspulling if I go by that rule of thumb, that means I have to run 14" wheels on my car as 28" are the biggest that will fit without modifications, and there is no way 14" wheels will fit when my car came with 16" wheels from the factory, I drive a small crossover, not a huge lifted 4x4 ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wheelspulling

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I don't know guys, my car/crossover is really just a slightly taller hatchback, it's not like it's a hardcore offroader, it's just a compact 4wd crossover after all and the worst kind of roads I would take it down would be flat gravel roads regardless of tiresize, I will decide what to do when the time comes to buy new wheels (and I have to find my 16" wheels before buying new tires for them anyway).
How on earth do you misplace a set of wheels? :P

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
In large part because they work.

It probably doesn't hurt that they are available in a wide range of sizes (not the case for all tires)

It also probably doesn't hurt that BFG spends some serious money in support of offroad sports. I doubt there is any other tire manufacturer who puts so many resources into play for the Baja 1000. There is a lot of goodwill earned there I bet.

And it probably has something to do with the fact that for a number of years BFG All-Terrain and Mud-Terrains were pretty much the best tire for the buck.

I think today there are a number of good options. No one stands head and shoulders above right now, at least in my mind. But BFG earned their reputation, and for many folks there is no need to go hunting for a better tire. The BFGs do everything folks ask of them. Why go hunting another tire?

And I can understand not knowing where a set of wheels are. I have parts in storage 1,000 miles away. It gets challenging to keep track of where everything is.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I guess I could reconsider, but I want to try something else for a couple years, I also need to find my 16" wheels (I forgot where I put them when I bought the 17's with allterrain tires).

@4wheelspulling if I go by that rule of thumb, that means I have to run 14" wheels on my car as 28" are the biggest that will fit without modifications, and there is no way 14" wheels will fit when my car came with 16" wheels from the factory, I drive a small crossover, not a huge lifted 4x4 ;)
You'll have to research to find out what tire that fits on a 16" wheel and doesn't exceed 28" height. I could do it for you but you wouldn't learn anything if I did it for you. Go to the tire charts for your research. The BFG K02's have a reputation for excellence, they earned it through years of research and endurance testing and actual use. Top dogs can name it's price and they are worth it. That's not saying that there isn't another tire that might fit your needs at a lesser cost. I personally like Patagonia made by Milestar I think.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
215/65-16
215/70-16
225/60-16
235/60-16 are the sizes I can use, I would probably go fo ra 215/70-16 size and Toyo Open Country allterrains.
That's a pretty wide variety. Now it's just a matter of which tread you like for the surfaces you will drive on the most.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Joey83,
That is just a rul of thumb! The closest you can come to that from what you wrote before would be fine. 16” wheels and the largest size tire you want to run will be better than using 20” wheels and tires off-road. On Highway that is different but you would still have a more firm ride, with 20”. Most vehicles here nowadays have disk brakes on all 2 axles. For most they have no choice to run 16” or larger wheels to clear the brake calipers. And remember this is just my thoughts, from the many years of 4 wheeling. I will keep running my 15” wheels with my 31” tires as long as I can. As long as they keep making 15” tires! Vance.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I really do appreciate your thoughts, but I didn't say that I wanted 20" offroad tires ;)

20" street tires on the other hand..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I really do appreciate your thoughts, but I didn't say that I wanted 20" offroad tires ;)

20" street tires on the other hand..
This is what you said and since this is OB or off road forum we naturally think off road tires.

as I'm planning on getting a set of 245/40-20's (<- those are 2.63% bigger than the stock size) for my car, just to be different.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sounds like the job of being "your vehicle" has changed and the Tucson is no longer the right tool.
Whoever said the "Tucson" was the right tool ? Obviously there are many OB'ers who would disagree with that statement.
Please explain the "your vehicle" statement. I doubt anyone here knows just what you are referring too, it doesn't seem to
fit the conversation. Not being arguemenitive, Just need clarification of your comment. Thanks

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
In my experience with the amount I have invested in modifications that I would have to do all over again with a new rig it would be far cheaper to replace a motor \ trans or what ever else is next.

All the full size American and 1 Swedish vehicle I have owned went over 300 to 400 thousand miles they were still working when I sold them.

The math for me is
2011 Tahoe $25,000
Modifications $20,000

Total so far $45,000

Still should be good for another 250,000 miles and or 8 more years.
I could install a used motor and rebuild a transmission for under $ 6,000
But without a $980 a month car payment repairs are most likely to be much less.

A new rig.. 2019 Choose your poison $ 58,000 or more
Plus financing depending on credit $ 9,000
Additional modifications $ 18,000

Total starting cost $ 85,000

After a few years you will start having the same repair costs as the older one. Then he cycle can start over again.

I know my figures may not be perfect and I am not going to argue the point since it is just my opinion... But, for the most part they aren't that far off...

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Question 1: The Tucson meets all my current needs.

Question 2: I'm sure there are other comparable rigs out there that would meet or even exceed my needs for a daily driver/adventuremobile even in stock form.

Question 3: I can afford to fix what needs fixing, I guess I've just been an unlucky owner (I did buy it without any service history, but at a fair price at the time)
I had a friend who spent about $5 grand in repairs for a 4 year old car so she got rid of it because it was turning into a money pit... Four years later I ran into the new owner it had over 200,000 miles they said it was the best car ever gas, oil and tires was all they spent on it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
In my experience with the amount I have invested in modifications that I would have to do all over again with a new rig it would be far cheaper to replace a motor \ trans or what ever else is next.

All the full size American and 1 Swedish vehicle I have owned went over 300 to 400 thousand miles they were still working when I sold them.

The math for me is
2011 Tahoe $25,000
Modifications $20,000

Total so far $45,000

After a few years you will start having the same repair costs as the older one. Then he cycle can start over again.

I know my figures may not be perfect and I am not going to argue the point since it is just my opinion... But, for the most part they aren't that far off...
You do my kind of math. To me a rig is almost a life time investment, not something you do every four years !

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo

The math for me is
2011 Tahoe $25,000
Modifications $20,000

Total so far $45,000

I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't know where this idea came from that you should not repair a car if the cost of the repairs exceeds the value of the car. That is hardly the right comparison. The real issue is whether or not the cost of the repairs exceeds what it is going to cost you to replace the car.

I think people come up with nonsense just in an effort to justify their desire for something new and shiny.

If you want new and shiny, okay. Just be honest about what you are doing.

But unless you bought some sort of lemon, the repair route is almost always the less expensive option. Some cars are lemons by design: Yugos, K-cars, Cloud cars, probably just about anything Bob Lutz had a hand in... But if you took the time to ignore Consumer Reports and look into the reality of whether or not a vehicle is a solid platform and bought intelligently then you should be better off maintaining and repairing your rig.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't know where this idea came from that you should not repair a car if the cost of the repairs exceeds the value of the car. That is hardly the right comparison. The real issue is whether or not the cost of the repairs exceeds what it is going to cost you to replace the car.

I think people come up with nonsense just in an effort to justify their desire for something new and shiny.

If you want new and shiny, okay. Just be honest about what you are doing.

But unless you bought some sort of lemon, the repair route is almost always the less expensive option. Some cars are lemons by design: Yugos, K-cars, Cloud cars, probably just about anything Bob Lutz had a hand in... But if you took the time to ignore Consumer Reports and look into the reality of whether or not a vehicle is a solid platform and bought intelligently then you should be better off maintaining and repairing your rig.
DOUBLE DITTO's