Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Come on guys, there is no end to the mods you can do and add to your vehicle, but is it really necessary? How many people have you seen with rigs so modded they could drive the moon but rarely leave the block?

Reactions: Utahgrapher

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I had a friend in high school. He’d buy 3 old used non-functioning Honda trikes and tear them all down. A year later he’ll have scabbed the pieces together and have a functioning trike.

I watched him do it with snowmobiles, cars, tractors and anything else he could get his hands on.

Eventually I figured out that he liked the build. He loved the challenge and putting things together. I thought he was crazy at first, but who am I to judge where he finds his enjoyment.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
We had a meet and greet in the Chicagoland area a few months ago. 10 guys showed up with off road capable vehicles. Some of them were very very capable. However when we had our first trip only three showed up. Let's Outfit and Explore! Emphasis on Explore!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
If I see a real need for something on my rig, I'll research and think about it for a while. If it still seems to be needed and after I've budgeted for it, I'll then pull the trigger. No point in adding on all this stuff if it's not needed. My main priority with my rig is to keep it running as best as I can but also not dump a bunch of un-needed cash into it.

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
If I see a real need for something on my rig, I'll research and think about it for a while. If it still seems to be needed and after I've budgeted for it, I'll then pull the trigger. No point in adding on all this stuff if it's not needed. My main priority with my rig is to keep it running as best as I can but also not dump a bunch of un-needed cash into it.
I couldn't agree more. You're spot on.

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
Agree.. sometimes I feel like I am a professional researcher. I take my time and find just the right fit for what I need. My motivation is never "that would look cool" it's more about something providing a function. In a recent example, I was cleaning out the Jeep after a recent trip and decided I would go through and get rid of some stuff from my camping boxes that we didn't really use much to make some more space. In doing that, I decided to mount my air tank back on the roll bar and try to figure out what to do with my 5lb propane tank. In doing some poking around the internet, I stumbled across a mount that attaches to the hard top. Perfect for what i needed. At the same time, I was joking with my wife saying that if I mount this tank on the outside, we are gonna really look like overlanders! But at the end of the day, it wasn't about looks, or yet another thing to tack on to the rig.. it was about function. But therein lies the "problem" You can just keep finding things that continue to enhance your overlanding lifestyle. And if your like me, you can pretty much instantly tell someone that uses their rig or is striving for a look.. in other words.. all hat, no cattle.

Reactions: Chadlyb