RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Interested on everyone's thoughts. Steel or alloy wheels what's your choice and why?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

My preference is whatever is stock with two exceptions, if it came with some goofy looking aftermarket wheels I’d find some stock steel wheels if possible over stock aluminum for trail sledge hammer repairability but stock aluminum would be ok. If I was building something with the drivetrain to support huge tires I’d go with quality steelies for the same reason unless beadlocks were necessary for what I was doing. Other than that, with a stock drivetrain changing out my stock aluminum wheels for steel probably isn’t going to be the best way to spend my money. With the size tires that my stock drivetrain and a modest lift allows, I won’t be doing anything that I would be likely to be breaking aluminum wheels. It could happen and if it does I’d probably switch to Steels. Until then, the wheels that came with it fit right, look good and work fine. Depends on the rig, what you’re Doing and what kind of terrain you’re on. There’s another really long thread about this same subject, but that’s my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Rubicajon

DanR

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Silverdale, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Reed
Member #

Steel wheels are stronger and more durable than aluminum. I usually prefer the stock alloy wheels, as some aftermarket are not as strong enough for real off-road use; they are just for show.

Reactions: Rubicajon

Crazjtk

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ravenna, Michigan
Member #

I run steelies. Cheaper than alloy, not any heavier, if I smack one up, it bends rather than cracking, and, while not important on the trail, steel rims look much more "correct" on an older rig like mine.

Reactions: 000