Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Hi all,

Wanted to get an idea of what people carry in their Recovery Gear - permanently in the vehicle or change in / out as a specific trip requires?
A lot of us have the mounted Maxtrax or similar, then there's winch or no winch depending on personal preference or requirements but I'd like to hear what are the small or preferred tools and gadgets we keep as a "typical" setup. Do you keep them in a tool roll or box in the tub or even keep them roof mounted in a long flat storage box....
Looking forward to hearing about some of the combo's we take on the trails :smile:

Reactions: Steve_ohhhhh

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Built in (not really "recovery kit") - winch and recovery points.

The "kit" - Compressor (Primary - AC-PRO Air 150, Back-up AP Everyday C36A-54), tyre repair kit, two bottle jacks, ARB sand ladders, shackles, slings, 30m climbing rope and carabiners, machete, compass, bottle of wine, opener and glasses...

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
For years I needed two straps and carried a home made sand ladder. Now I added a winch, pully, a couple of D-rings and couple of traction boards. I have worn out several straps and almost never needed the winch. The traction boards only come out if im going to sand or during the rainy season. Most of my kit is build around the areas I go. As for usage, the winch has only been used on others where the strap wouldn't cut it. My recovery gear sees most of time used to clear debris.
If I go somewhere technical, its always with another vehicle. If im by myself its mostly dirt roads.

Reactions: OVRLNDCBR and Road

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Mine is basic, and it all fits in three tool bags stored under my rear seat. Kinetic rope 30', 20' tow strap rated at 20,000 lbs, 2 12k lb D rings, jumper cables, heavy duty gloves, basic tool set with sockets/ratchets, pliers, screwdrivers etc, compressor and a tire plugging kit, an ax and I keep the shovel either in the roof basket or the bed. If I'm going to be visiting an area that may be sandy or loose terrain, I bring 2 2x8 planks cut at 3 foot a piece in the bed of my truck. Been using these years before max trax ever was a thing and they work great and cost under 15 bucks. They can help you in a few other situations too. I used to carry a hilift jack, but I haven't needed it in 8 years. Now I just have a bottle jack and a few wood blocks.

Reactions: OVRLNDCBR