What's your general purpose cleaner you bring on trips?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Last trip I realized I need to bring a spray bottle of some general purpose cleaner on our camping trips. Not sure how we went for so long and not having something (other than campsuds for dishes), maybe last trip things just extra dirty. In a perfect world I hope to find something with both a little grease-cutting power as well as something like bleach to disenfect.

I use 50:50 simple green:water in my garage, think I can add a little clorox to it and get what I need?

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI
Definitely Dawn dish soap.
Some of our friends use that expensive stuff from REI or Great Outdoor that "saves the environment" to each his own. My wife put it best though "If they use this soap to clean off birds and other animals during oil spills in the ocean, it'll be perfectly safe to use while camping"

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
At home I cut the Dawn with about 90-95% water. Works good. I mean, you're just trying to make suds, right? Easier to use small doses since I generally just wash dishes as I use them.

Reactions: BigBlueOx_TRD

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
For dishes: paper plates/cups - light weight, no muss no fuss, burn in the campfire after using, less to carry back
For pots/pans: Campsuds
For cleaning: Clorox Disinfecting Wipes

Reactions: FishinCrzy

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
For hands and dishes we use Campsuds + universal solvent (water).

For wiping down food preparation surfaces I carry some disinfecting wipes.

For wiping grime off the kid's face and hands in the car I use a pack of wet wipes.

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

Simple dish soap goes a very long way. I usually just have dish soap, hand sanitizer and some disinfectant wipes for general purpose cleaning in my rig.

summervijx

Rank V

Advocate III

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Summerville
Member #

Last trip I realized I need to bring a spray bottle of some general purpose cleaner on our camping trips. Not sure how we went for so long and not having something (other than campsuds for dishes), maybe last trip things just extra dirty. In a perfect world I hope to find something with both a little grease-cutting power as well as something like bleach to disenfect.

I use 50:50 simple green:water in my garage, think I can add a little clorox to it and get what I need?
I think you would be fine with simple green by itself. They also make a "Crystal" version that is NSF rated and used in food processing centers.