What's your campfire in fire season or no campfire areas?

• HTML tutorial

Do you belive carrying a portable campfire in needed?

• Yes. Expectially in campfire restricted areas.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Nope. Just suck it up and put more clothing on.

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I searched the threads to see what folks used when campfires were not permitted. Couldn't find a thread. So as we come closer to spring and possible fire restrictions in the west. It would be interesting to see what OB'ers use on the trail.

After seeing a friends Unimog outfitted with a 20 foot attached hose from their propane source to a portable campfire, I knew I needed one but in a smaller version that would not take up much space in the 4Runner.

This is the unit I went with.....Camp fire.JPG
This unit with a half size propane cylinder worked like a champ. It packs up in its own pouch and takes up limited space.

Reactions: Ozzie H

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
We use an Outland Firebowl when wood fires are banned which happens more and more here in CA. A 5 lb propane tank will run on medium high for about 3.5 hrs. 41CE256A-1E06-47F2-8D4A-B6B0AC78826E.jpeg No wood fires in January haha. No problem.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
We use an Outland Firebowl when wood fires are banned which happens more and more here in CA. A 5 lb propane tank will run on medium high for about 3.5 hrs. View attachment 48910 No wood fires in January haha. No problem.
Very nice. I believe my firepit is a bit smaller than yours so it will be interesting to see how many nights I get out of the 11 lbs. tank when I go out in a couple weeks.

Waino

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle
Member #

+1 on the Outland Firebowl. We used it recently on our Mojave Road, Death Valley trip. Even though the group had a campfire, it was nice to have a quick heat source right next to our rig. A 5lb. tank lasted a couple of evenings.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
How much propane does it use in say an hour?
Sorry for the long delay on the fire pit test with the 11 lb tank. I wanted to make sure it was done in the camping settings for the test....then winter came....again. :tonguewink: Well I just got back from DV where we needed to use it so now the test is complete and the tank is empty.

The Tank holds about 2.5 gals of fuel and at medium setting I was able to get 3 nights out of it. This equates to a bit over 3 hours since we averaged sitting around the fire pit as the night chill sets in for about an hour-ish....then head to the RTT. :sunglasses:

This is what I expected and was quite pleased with the pit and tank for its compact size. Easy to transport and setup.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Sorry for the long delay on the fire pit test with the 11 lb tank. I wanted to make sure it was done in the camping settings for the test....then winter came....again. :tonguewink: Well I just got back from DV where we needed to use it so now the test is complete and the tank is empty.

The Tank holds about 2.5 gals of fuel and at medium setting I was able to get 3 nights out of it. This equates to a bit over 3 hours since we averaged sitting around the fire pit as the night chill sets in for about an hour-ish....then head to the RTT. :sunglasses:

This is what I expected and was quite pleased with the pit and tank for its compact size. Easy to transport and setup.
Thanks for the info. A little off topic, I saw a video of a guy that used an old steel rim as his fire pit. He would store it under his rig where the spare would go. His spare was now on a swing arm on the rear of his vehicle. I thought it was very ingenious.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Not to nit-pik, but wouldn't a propane fire be considered a campfire too? They too are capable of getting out of hand and starting a wildfire.

We simply put one of these on the ground in front of us and stare.
Luci Color - Multi-Color Inflatable Solar Light

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Thanks for the info. A little off topic, I saw a video of a guy that used an old steel rim as his fire pit. He would store it under his rig where the spare would go. His spare was now on a swing arm on the rear of his vehicle. I thought it was very ingenious.
That's a cool idea. I guess he could also add a tube set up to the ring and make it dual use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Not to nit-pik, but wouldn't a propane fire be considered a campfire too? They too are capable of getting out of hand and starting a wildfire.

We simply put one of these on the ground in front of us and stare.
Luci Color - Multi-Color Inflatable Solar Light

I believe the propane firepits are in the same category of propane camp stoves. Flames can be regulated, they're off the ground, and produce no sparks.

Last edited:

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I believe the propane firepits are in the same category of propane camp stoves. Flames can be regulated, there off the ground, and produce no sparks.

Correct, they are considered propane stoves.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding