What's on your roof?

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Nope, havent been off road yet tho. It survived 70mph on the highway. I think it will be good, its very sturdy and me and my fiance dont weigh much, and our dogs are small.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Right now? Dirt and pollen from the pine tree.
A few weeks from now - 1) uhf 420 MHz antenna, 1) 2 Meter 5/8 wave antenna 146 MHz (unless I find a dual band I like. I'd prefer to just have one. NMO mount, then I can swap antennas around depending on what I want to do.

I'm a long way off from building up the truck bed. Still have to find a rail-rack I like, decide if I want permanent drawers (truckvault or decked) a tool box - Billy Box. Or some combination. Or maybe a Four Wheel popup Camper. I'm torn on the RTT. I've got a Autohome Airtop - really nice - about 125lbs. But once you put those things up there, you just never get around to taking them down. If I put one on the RAM it'll be below the cab roof line I think. The current plan is to sell the Airtop - it's not going to work the way I want on the truck.

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

I used to running 3 large Plano totes with all my camping gear. The case have always just contained sleep gear and other light weight items. I also throw my rv5 tagalong tent up there.

IMG_0582.PNG

Since I've added my solar panel I can only fit 2 cases with my cot and chair between the cases and the solar panel.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

I keep everything on my roof rack unfortunately. I plan to move most things down to the rear bumper after it if fabricated as I agree having a high CG is bad.

Currently Yakima basket, Highlift jack, Shovel, Treads X4, Spare tire, Axe, Bike trays X2,

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

I currently have a whole lot of nothing up on my wilderness rack but I'm looking to mount a fuel can, water, and a shovel. Does anyone have any suggestions for mounting solutions? I've looked around a bit on Amazon and was just surprised at the cost of a shovel mount...

Reactions: dziner

nelsoncycles

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Columbus, OH
Member #

I made a pretty simple mount for shovels and ax with these as the base and some simple clamps from a hardware store. I still use those giant think bread tie like wire wraps as a backup redundancy. I've kept the shovel and ax up there for two years with no trouble.

Smitty built makes a jerry can mount that can be modified for bolt on use with a rack by drilling holes through the bottom of the mount and running bolts into some flat stock. The mount will sit on top of the rack and the flat stock will go under, bolts with sandwich the rack between the flat stock material and the holder keeping it in place. The simple solution is a ratchet strap through the jerry can handle.

If you have any interest in building the shovel/ax mount I can do a better write up with a couple photos. I am avoiding doing any jerry cans on the roof since I want all that weight on the new rear bumper to lower CG.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

did you need to reinforce the truck canopy for the rtt ontop? i want to do the same but i am told its to much weight
Update, taken it on some rough trails and the canopy is fine, everything secure. But the cover for the a rtt broke a seem on a corner, soooo gorilla glue or contact tuff stuff bout a replacement....