What's in your driveway and what is your overlanding vehicle strategy?

• HTML tutorial

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I don't think I have ever had a vehicle that has crossed the 20mpg barrier except for the Harley, but even that is at the bottom end of the motorcycle range lol. Ram is around 17/18 highway, both jeeps lucky to get 16, and the motorhome 7 if I keep it under 65. I have found that the older I get the more the fuel stops and bathroom breaks line up though.

Overlanding Lawyer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Fayetteville, GA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Kirkbride
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1EOD
Service Branch
Army
My daily driver is a Tundra, I love the truck! I bought the Gladiator as my weekend ride and designated "overloading" rig. I'm not a roof-top tent guy, so my next purchase will be a trailer, either a Mission Overland or an Off-Grid Trailer. Both have plus and minus, but for me mostly solo adventuring, its where I want to go with this. I have camped all my life, done the AT before it was cool, lots of backpacking, but I love the vehicle based platform now at my age. With supply chain problems, next week she will get new bumpers, winch, lighting, complete my ham and GRMS radio install, on-board air, and a switch-pro. I think the key to all of this is just get out there. Take trips that are less technical, do your homework, trial and error, ask for advice, and DO NOT just throw money at an issue or problem. We should all be supportive and free with our advice and never criticize. This is the best part of OverlandBound, helpful friendly folks with zero to 50-years of experience. Enjoy the ride, take lots of pictures, and share your success and your failures!

Attachments

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
We have a Sportsmobile Sprinter 4wd and a Chevy Colorado ZR2. And my wife's Outback.

The Sprinter has Vancompass suspension, lift, skidplates, and rocker guards. We also have a 12k Warn winch on a Roambuilt bumper. It is more capable than I thought it would be, and has done the AZ BDR, NM BDR, CO BDR and the Continental Divide route with no problem. It just feels really big on some of the trails, and definitely has it's share of pinstripes. But it's a good combination of comfort and capability.

IMG_0444.JPGIMG_0442.JPG

The ZR2 is more of a day trip vehicle, or used when hunting or fishing but staying in town at a motel. It has AEV skidplates, a CBI winch bumper and 12k winch, and a Relentless Fab rear bumper with swingarm. It is not set up for camping at the moment.

zr2 20210505 (2).jpg20210601_200434383_iOS_LI.jpg

Attachments

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

My daily driver is a Tundra, I love the truck! I bought the Gladiator as my weekend ride and designated "overloading" rig. I'm not a roof-top tent guy, so my next purchase will be a trailer, either a Mission Overland or an Off-Grid Trailer. Both have plus and minus, but for me mostly solo adventuring, its where I want to go with this. I have camped all my life, done the AT before it was cool, lots of backpacking, but I love the vehicle based platform now at my age. With supply chain problems, next week she will get new bumpers, winch, lighting, complete my ham and GRMS radio install, on-board air, and a switch-pro. I think the key to all of this is just get out there. Take trips that are less technical, do your homework, trial and error, ask for advice, and DO NOT just throw money at an issue or problem. We should all be supportive and free with our advice and never criticize. This is the best part of OverlandBound, helpful friendly folks with zero to 50-years of experience. Enjoy the ride, take lots of pictures, and share your success and your failures!
Love your rig, those wheels look great on it! Very nice. Can’t wait to see it with the trailer!
Happy trails!

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I have 4 Jeeps (MJ, XJ, TJ & LJ) and nothing else. I use the XJ & LJ for camping, towing my 2 trailers (and 3rd one under construction), carrying bikes, etc. The 2 Jeeps are built in generally the same way and with the same features. Having the 2 allows me to have one on the road while I'm maintaining, repairing, building, etc. the other one. It's not very often that I feel rushed to get something done for a trip. One benefit of the XJ is that I can sleep in it. One feature of the LJ that I like is traveling with the half doors.

20-10-19 4.JPGDSC_0196.JPG

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
One vehicle - Jeep JK 2dr soft top. We are able to pack a week trip for the two of us inside and get away. Which leads to strategy - getting away from the concrete/blacktop jungle and all its craziness. While I recognize the limitations of my vehicle choice, it is my balance of daily driver, fun driver, and overlander. Building it is based on realistic usage, improving on functionality and usefulness as I go.

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Its an addiction. I have a Samurai on Toyota axles with a 6” lift running 35s. With a rebuilt engine and new clutch. I have a Jeep cherokee with a 4” lift. On 28” rubber. Its my daily driver. Then i have a 1992 Ford Ranger. 4” lift with a 3” body lift. With a 4L swap and a locked front with posi rear. On 33” BFG KM3s. And i have a OBS F350 running a Ford Clevor build, two stage clutch, 4” lift on 35” Nitto trail grapplers M/Ts. And out the back in tue bone yard i have a bunch of parts trucks.

Attachments

speedkills

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Auburn, California, United States
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Delmore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YND
I like to have one daily driver and one backup rig. My current setup is a 2011 G-Wagen that I use for everything from grocery store runs, to hard core wheeling, to cross country trips. My backup in case my G-Wagen is down for any reason is a 2006 Range Rover with 240k miles on it. I drive it maybe once a month to make sure it runs and keep the battery charged.

I like SUVs big enough to sleep in (my last travel rig was a Land Rover LR4) that are capable of carrying and worst case towing everything I want with me. I also like to buy them used, but stock, even though that is a more expensive route than buying them already modded but that is because I really enjoy the build process and like to know about every modification to my vehicle and make sure I am comfortable dealing with it if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere.

For my latest rig, and hopefully my last as this finally feels like one I would keep for life if nothing tragic like an accident happens to it, I bought it bone stock looking like this

and after spending the past 9 months building it it's just about ready for camping season. The only major thing left I want to do to it is cut the roof off and put a pop-top tent in.

Reactions: tjZ06 and KAIONE

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I like to have one daily driver and one backup rig. My current setup is a 2011 G-Wagen that I use for everything from grocery store runs, to hard core wheeling, to cross country trips. My backup in case my G-Wagen is down for any reason is a 2006 Range Rover with 240k miles on it. I drive it maybe once a month to make sure it runs and keep the battery charged.

I like SUVs big enough to sleep in (my last travel rig was a Land Rover LR4) that are capable of carrying and worst case towing everything I want with me. I also like to buy them used, but stock, even though that is a more expensive route than buying them already modded but that is because I really enjoy the build process and like to know about every modification to my vehicle and make sure I am comfortable dealing with it if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere.

For my latest rig, and hopefully my last as this finally feels like one I would keep for life if nothing tragic like an accident happens to it, I bought it bone stock looking like this

and after spending the past 9 months building it it's just about ready for camping season. The only major thing left I want to do to it is cut the roof off and put a pop-top tent in.

Super cool! Would like to see more pics/details.

-TJ