Rank IV

Advocate I

Fremont, CA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Yoshida
Member #

I drive a 2009 MDX and since I don’t have a winch I was thinking of getting a cable winch puller just in case I’m alone and get in a situation where I need to pull myself out of a jam. With that said do you think a cable winch pull (let’s say it’s rated 8,000 lb or higher).

I’m curious what’s your thought on this.

Thanks everyone in advance,
Bruce

Reactions: MMc

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have been reading your questions, have you been out much? It seams you are asking questions about concerns that you have yet to live through. Get a yard shovel, those t handle get old quick. A shovel will get you out of more situations than any track mat or a come-along. We have a adage “when you are stuck, you dig”. Learn to air down, in the west, you’ll be in ton of sand, mud, and rock roads, airing down will help you more than mats and jacks in most situations. When you need a jack, you’ll need a jack, I haven’t used mats in years. With a come-along learn to use a deadman, not the thing they sell, a spare tire or a thing buried in the sand to pull off of. Do you know where your shackle points are?
I would get out and figure out what works for you and where you go instead of building out you MDX with stuff that looks good but you don’t use. If I over stepped here I am sorry, overlanding is mostly trade offs.

I drive a 2009 MDX and since I don’t have a winch I was thinking of getting a cable winch puller just in case I’m alone and get in a situation where I need to pull myself out of a jam. With that said do you think a cable winch pull (let’s say it’s rated 8,000 lb or higher).

I’m curious what’s your thought on this.

Thanks everyone in advance,
Bruce

Reactions: Road

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

I broke a come-along up in Idaho once. I'll only use winches from here on out. If you plan on using a hand Winch, make sure to have one rated well higher than your rig weight + gear.

Reactions: YoshidaBK

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I've never found an affordable come along for vehicle recovery. But Tirfor Brand cable winch altho pricey is an excellent product.

Stole this pic but saw no copyright so...

Definitely use steel cable, anything less and the stretch will kill the effectiveness.

The obvious advantage over a permanent winch is using it on the back.
But the other huge advantage is the "winch" is at the anchor, rather than on the vehicle you want to move.

1612761306160.jpeg

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I broke a come-along up in Idaho once. I'll only use winches from here on out. If you plan on using a hand Winch, make sure to have one rated well higher than your rig weight + gear.
Been telling people for years, they just don't listen.
You can find at least 20 examples of this same question here.
Come alongs and hi lifts are NOT for vehicle recovery. They can be used in conjunction with an electric winch to say pull from the side to keep pressure on one side but full vehicle recovery your gambling with your ride and life.
But watch no one will listen.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Come alongs and hi lifts are NOT for vehicle recovery. They can be used in conjunction with an electric winch to say pull from the side to keep pressure on one side but full vehicle recovery your gambling with your ride and life.
I carry both and this is how I use them although the hilift can recover most rigs it's very labor intensive, more than my heart surgeon allows.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I carry both and this is how I use them although the hilift can recover most rigs it's very labor intensive, more than my heart surgeon allows.
Sure it can but so can a rope wrapped around a drive tire. That don't mean they are meant for it or you should, both the hi lift a and comealong are better suited to stretching Fence than pulling a vehicle.

If it is the only way you can get out and you have one with you by all means use it to recover yourself.
But if your going out to purposely use it when stuck, just do yourselves a favor and get the right equipment that is made specifically to do vehicle winching.

Hi lift wasn't invented to winch heavy loads they were made to lift small tractors to change the tire. They break and bend in half right around 9k I know because I've went through my share of hi lifts on the farm not using them as a winch just using as a jack.

I know I'll be told I'm wrong even though I have experience and I'm just wasting my breath but when someone hurts or kills themselves or others using something the wrong way Dont says someone didn't warn you.

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

For sure. It wasn't my come-along I broke, I got stuck beyond a closed usfs road that wasn't marked, and I happened into some ranchers who had one. We broke it, and they ended up giving me a pull with a strap on their 4x4. I know better.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I have had to use a HiLift Jack to recover a Jeep XJ, I can tell you it is possible, but I was younger and it was no fun then. It worked, but took a long time and I had to stop to rest several times. A lot of work. I still have the jack, but rarely use it.
I have a 13K electric winch now.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Went out once unplanned and underprepared, got stuck. It took a very long time with a lot of effort but eventually got out.
Couldn’t afford a winch (still can’t)
Got a hi lift and some straps, shovel, etc for under $200
Helped others get unstuck and got myself unstuck.
I don’t don’t try to get stuck, nor do I try to break my truck... I also don’t recommend getting your truck broken or stuck. But I suppose if it happens you’ll want something to get you out and if a winch isn’t a realistic option I would get the next best thing.
A come-along you can throw in a bin in the back of the MDX and hopefully you’ll never have to use it.
Whatever route you go, I would highly recommend testing it/practice with it before you have to use.
It would be a bad day to get stuck and then learn you have no way to attach your come along to your rig

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Every vehical comes with an axle jack. If you find yourself with a wheel stuck in a hole. You can jack it up and drive off the jack. Or fill the hole with rocks. Or slide a traction board under it. A comealong can be tedious if youre by yourself. You might end up running back and forth.

jschmidt

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've never found an affordable come along for vehicle recovery. But Tirfor Brand cable winch altho pricey is an excellent product.

Stole this pic but saw no copyright so...

Definitely use steel cable, anything less and the stretch will kill the effectiveness.

The obvious advantage over a permanent winch is using it on the back.
But the other huge advantage is the "winch" is at the anchor, rather than on the vehicle you want to move.

View attachment 191193
You may have old information. Winch rope is stronger than cable, doesn't stretch, and is safer.

Reactions: Apoclapedia

Apoclapedia

Rank IV

Advocate I

Moha, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@Billiebob i store my winch in my tool box and fabbed up receiver hitches and electrical quick connects. So i can pull off the front or back bumper with my 15k winch. Works great. I love having it on the back for uncharted water crossings. Great insurance.

solidus365

Rank 0

Contributor I

Athens, PA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Snow
I once got my jeep stuck in the middle of a powerline trail in a mud pit. Went to Harbor Freight and picked up an 8k lb come-along and two 65 foot lengths of 12k lb steel winch cable so I could reach the trees as an anchor. Then spent the next 5 hours in the pouring rain winching it out a couple feet at a time. It worked but I wouldn't recommend it unless it's literally the only option.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

theoriginalgiga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Chaney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6WFI
Like everyone else here, you don't want to use a come-along as they're far from ideal. That being said I used to carry a come along and after trying to drive in the mud with no tread and my buddy trying to pull me out but all he did was pull me deeper into the dropoff (yea we aren't that smart) we busted out the come along and the shovel. It took 3 hours of digging, pulling and ratcheting to finally get my truck out and I banished myself to the pavement until I got new tires. All I'll say is it may not be the best equipment to use but when you need it and don't have it you sing a whole different tune.

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

You may have old information. Winch rope is stronger than cable, doesn't stretch, and is safer.
Could be, but I don't think a Tirfor works with synthetic line. It needs steel line. Must be a reason eh

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Billiebob @jschmidt the Tifor needs steel cable, it is something about how it works. The power puller mentioned by @Shakes355 can be either so it is a good choice.

Any manual winch even a hi-lift can be used to get you unstuck, as long as you are not buried to the axles. As noted it is very hard slow work and not suitable in all cases. Really it depends on how you define vehicle recovery, and in some of those cases a winch will not help either.

Regardless of what you choose you need to have a way to anchor, in the costal regions of the PNW there is generally a good tree or stump, in other places you will need a ground anchor.