What was your first vehicle you took exploring.

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

This is my 1977 chevy k10 it was my first 4wd truck and I spent many days as a teenager beating the crap out of it. It has been in my family since new and my grandpa left it to me when he passed away in 2003. I still have it, I don't drive it much but she still makes me smile when i do take her out.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Reactions: picklejuice

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

1987 Chevy S10 4x4. Bought it at 15 years old for $1300, rebuilt the 2.8 v6 in it and ran the piss out of it. Took it through the Hoosier National Forest every weekend for fishing and paintballing. Sadly, I don't have a pic of it, but it was my first vehicle. It was a complete POS, but a lot of good times were had in that truck. Many memories of electrical gremlins occurring.

Reactions: O.Dfj

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

After the FIAT, I bought a new 1975 VW Scirocco, which we used for many car camping trips, and pulling a sailboat to various lakes around Virginia and North Carolina. This took me backpacking around Colorado and New Mexico.

Then a short stint in a Dodge Colt hatchback before buying a new 1988 Ford Ranger. With a cap on it, it was our boat puller, camping gear hauler, and bed on many trips. This is what took me backpacking around Mt Rainier for my 40th birthday. I have the same haircut there as I do now! :)

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I had a 2007 Jeep Liberty that I was in the process of converting into a simple overland vehicle. I installed a 2.5" skyjacker lift with 31" Duratracs. Had full skids installed. Added the OEM light bar on top and was about to order the ARB bumper, winch and cargo basket when it turned into a submarine. image.jpeg
This was one of the last pictures I had of it, a couple days later it was flooded...

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
After the FIAT, I bought a new 1975 VW Scirocco, which we used for many car camping trips, and pulling a sailboat to various lakes around Virginia and North Carolina. This took me backpacking around Colorado and New Mexico.

I had a Volkswagen Dasher that I used to woo my wife with. You know what kind of woman she is now. It was Rust Orange with a white vinyl interior. Most importantly, i was young and poor, and couldnt afford to replace the starter, so i had to put it in neutral, engage the E brake, and arc across the solenoid with a screw driver to start it. The hatch latch didnt work, so every little bump made it bounce loudly. We DID however explore all over Texas in it before we left for North Carolina.

In NC, we drove her Acura Integra to places no small car had business being. EVERY SINGLE fire break on Fort Bragg saw that car doing its very best WRC impression. You can carry a lot of speed through sand in a front wheel drive car. :)

Reactions: Steve

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
1988 2 door S-10 Blazer with the 4.3 and a baby 2 inch lift and BFG MT. Still miss that truck. At 260K miles we sold it and I saw it around for another 5 years.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
it's an old photo, one of the only ones I have, but it is from 1977 somewhere in the Rocky Mountains . I loved that 40 and it took me all over southern California as well. I used to wheel up the Big Tujunga Canyon and camp... Then, my EX wife crashed it...... photo.jpg

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

couldnt afford to replace the starter, so i had to put it in neutral, engage the E brake, and arc across the solenoid with a screw driver to start it.
My first car was a 1929 Ford Model A, and it had a bad battery that only worked to start it when it was warm. I hated crank starting it, so as often as I could, I'd park in on a hill, so that I could coast down and bump start it. :)

Last edited:

Ryan_Blaire

Rank IV

Advocate II

My first truck.... 1969 F-100 2WD. I used to bash that thing down dirt roads until it hurt. Very similar to the picture but lightly more rusted/dented. Ahhh to be 16 again....images.jpg

Reactions: O.Dfj and Steve

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

2WD 91 Chevy Blazer, but if I'm honest, I've gone camping/exploring before that in a Plymouth minivan, and before that, a Plymouth K-car...[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

2WD 91 Chevy Blazer, but if I'm honest, I've gone camping/exploring before that in a Plymouth minivan, and before that, a Plymouth K-car...[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and @Steve win proof no matter what you drive an adventure awaits

Reactions: Steve

cougargnw

Rank III

Advocate I

Most of my exploring has been done with rentals as I travel a lot for work. I was very happily surprised at the capability of a Chevy traverse all wheel drive. While exploring the back roads around pahrump neveda I passes some jeep guys that said would look for me on buried to the axles. That thing drove through all the back trails and fire trails I could find

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

My first car was a 1929 Ford Model A, and it had a bad battery that only worked to start it when it was warm. I hated crank starting it, so as often as I could, I'd park in on a hill, so that I could coast down and bump start it. :)

Lol come on @Steve I knew you were old, but really?? :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: O.Dfj and Steve

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

uploadfromtaptalk1464838006431.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464838020861.jpg
This pic made the readers rides on rough country .com

uploadfromtaptalk1464838059877.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464838076662.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464838106537.jpg
A little work here... dana 60 solid axle swap, Atlas tcase, 14 bolt rear, custom made drive shafts by me using agricultural u joints, Yukon zip in rear, lock right up front, chrome moly short shaft in front end, warn hubs, 4.56 gears.... ya... it was a nasty piece of work. Had it 8 years.

Was named the T.E.R.D.

Terrain Eating Road Disaster

uploadfromtaptalk1464838340815.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464838350545.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1464838364511.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464838384569.jpguploadfromtaptalk1464838406877.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Sarsaparilla Brown '86 Ranger Extended Cab V6 4x4. 4" lift, trimmed fenders, geared, extra cooling and no sway bars. It did everything I asked it to.

Reactions: Rob GoVenture