What vehicle is a good starter

• HTML tutorial

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
I want to get into overlanding, but don't know what would be a good starter vehicle. Preferably something relatively cheap. I don't want to spend 50k plus if I'm just starting out. What would be something decent to start out with? A truck? SUV? Van?

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

What ever vehicle you have right now is the best vehicle. That's not poking fun at you, that is one of the best questions you can ask when just starting out. The reason the one you have is the best is because its the cheapest. There are tons of ways to Overland. Some travel the globe on extended expeditions and require storage for food, water, and gear. Some want to get to the most remote places or travel some historic trail and require a high center of gravity 4x4 with tons of gear, food, water, fuel, etc. Needless to say, the best way to start out is to find out what you like, don't like, and what the wife is willing to put up with. Nothing in the Overland rule book says you have to travel only on dirt or gravel. If your wife isn't up for crapping in the woods, no one is going to burn you at the stake for getting a hotel room. Do some traveling, explore some, experience is the only way to find your direction. After a few trips you will get a good idea what will fit you best.

Disclamer: Overlanding can be as inexpensive as you want but if you aim to impress others, it will get expensive very quickly (i.e. 50k plus).

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
Luckily, I'm not married lol. But I would prefer staying off the hard road. I'll be moving to Alaska or Colorado if all goes my way. So I'll want to go more remote. I only need it for at most 2 weeks at a time.

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
I'm not 100% sure on where I'm planing on where I'm taking it yet. Probably anywhere I can take it. My budget is around 10k, with some room to move.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

What is your current vehicle? As much as I love my Land Rover, very rarely do I suggest someone buy one that's out of factory warranty. If you're just starting out, you may want to try and find a vehicle with some light mods (lift, tires, maybe bumpers or armor). That can be a mixed bag because you don't have the choice in the manufacturer of those parts. Buying new offroad parts is many times more expensive than when they're already installed on a vehicle.

If you want to build up your rig you'll have to account for the cost of those parts, and the install if you're not able to do it yourself. The labor charges can equal the cost of the parts sometimes. If you're moving to AK or CO and buy a used off road vehicle, really take the time to inspect it. In places like that, the locals can wheel their trucks pretty hard. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but don't be afraid to crawl on the ground to look at the under carriage, and poke around the engine bay.

Start simple, find friends to hit the trails with and learn what's important to you. Come here with questions. We're always happy to spend someone else's money:)

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Luckily, I'm not married lol. But I would prefer staying off the hard road. I'll be moving to Alaska or Colorado if all goes my way. So I'll want to go more remote. I only need it for at most 2 weeks at a time.
I am right there with you - moving to Colorado soon and I can't wait to enjoy camping on the weekends. Inexpensive but reliable is the way to go, especially for a beginner.

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
Out of curiosity, why not a Land Rover? I had a defender as my first car, absolutely loved it. I regret selling it. I'm probably going to buy on in Arizona, I can find rigs pretty cheap here. I'll be doing my own mods as well.

Reactions: Zargon

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
I am right there with you - moving to Colorado soon and I can't wait to enjoy camping on the weekends. Inexpensive but reliable is the way to go, especially for a beginner.
I was thinking either a defender (if I can find one), or a Tacoma.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Out of curiosity, why not a Land Rover? I had a defender as my first car, absolutely loved it. I regret selling it. I'm probably going to buy on in Arizona, I can find rigs pretty cheap here. I'll be doing my own mods as well.
Well if you've owned a Defender before then pay no attention to that statement. A lot of people aren't ready for, or neglect the maintenance of their Rovers. Then they break and the repair bill is crazy so they sell it. The new buyer then inherits all the BS from the previous owner and the "Rover's are crap" cycle starts again. I think with a Land Rover, at least anything before the LR3 (leafers or coilers) you need to be prepared to get your hands dirty, or have the pocket book to take care of it. If you just want to drive a truck and replace the oil every 3k, buy a Toyota!

I drive a 2001 Discovery 2. If it's not leaking, it must be empty!

As Jeremy Clarkson once said. "The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world!"

Wooks

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Member #

One comment that may (or may not) be helpful. I've found that 1996-2003 vehicles (give or take a few years depending on the make) are a bit of a sweet spot for overland builds.

Vehicles made before that range usually are very capable but do not feature many of the comforts that are appreciated during extended travel.

Vehicles made after that range have many comforts but often sacrifice off-road capability.

Of course modifications can make just about anything great but then you're into more $$$.

If you want to take a multi-week trip then probably one of your biggest considerations will be space. How much stuff do you want to take? This will be different for every person and there is no one correct answer. Some fish, some bike, some want lots of meat and beer and some want to "live off the land" with one pair of jeans and an .308 Winchester.

Put everything you'd want to take together (in your car or in the middle of the living room) and get an idea for how much space it really takes. Take some weekend and week long trips and find out what you use everyday and what you never touch, and then find a vehicle that can fit what will make you want to take a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
Well if you've owned a Defender before then pay no attention to that statement. A lot of people aren't ready for, or neglect the maintenance of their Rovers. Then they break and the repair bill is crazy so they sell it. The new buyer then inherits all the BS from the previous owner and the "Rover's are crap" cycle starts again. I think with a Land Rover, at least anything before the LR3 (leafers or coilers) you need to be prepared to get your hands dirty, or have the pocket book to take care of it. If you just want to drive a truck and replace the oil every 3k, buy a Toyota!

I drive a 2001 Discovery 2. If it's not leaking, it must be empty!

As Jeremy Clarkson once said. "The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world!"
Land Rovers are too expensive to fix for most people, because they're not willing to repair it themselves. They also don't keep up general maintenance. It's hard to find the model I want though lol.

Trout

Rank 0

Traveler I

Arizona
I only want to take what I need. I want something I can put a bed in, or mount a camper in the bed. That might make it too too heavy though.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Trout, Have you chosen your vehicle yet? Arizona is a great place to look for vehicles with the only problem being the burnt clear coat and paint. I found some real nice Jeeps and Toyotas when I was looking back in Feb. I was able to pick up a 4Runner for $4k. I had my heart set on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I could not find what I was looking for in my price range so the 4Runner won out.
You said that you are looking into moving to CO or AK - were those government jobs? Looks like I am going to be accepted for the CO position myself. I got a couple more job offers in OK and MS this week, but it looks like I will most likely take the 1st one to actually hire me. Which right now for me is Denver, Colorado.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

A rental - Best starter vehicle hands down. Get the insurance beat it up, give it back!
I built a fold-out sleeping platform for my 3rd gen 4runner. Folded out, I get a hair over 6 feet between the back of the front seats and the inside of the hatch. I built it so I didnt have to remove the seats.

Attachments

dshirt

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston, TX
Member #

1st gen Tundra is what I looking at now. Smaller than 2nd gen Tundra, V8, bigger than Tacoma, bigger payload so you could handle light pop up camper or camper shell. Should be able to find something under 150K miles for $11K to 14K