Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Like the title says, I’m curious what trip you’re planning. What area are you going to? Have you been there before? How far in advance are you planning your trip?

Astrotrek

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sabattus, ME, USA
First Name
Bethany
Last Name
Douglass
Member #

Planning a trek to Colorado and into Utah (Moab). First trip with the AstroVan, and realizing its been 10 years (whoa) since I have made my way out west (I am in Maine). Hoping to find trail advice here- especially since it will be December during covid & wildfires.

Goal is to go into Fort Collins area and into Idaho Springs. Evergreen is a stop too. Everything else is wide open to fill 14 days, before Christmas. Looking for scenic over technical. I would like to spend some time in Moab/Utah too. Wondering about conditions, will plan around that :) Thinking the weather and fires may push us into Utah.

I decided to do this 2 weeks ago. We are installing a propane water heater and upgrading lights/plugs/electric situation :)

Super excited to go back, and to have ability to go off road.

Last edited:

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

Planning a trek to Colorado and into Utah (Moab). First trip with the AstroVan, and realizing its been 10 years (whoa) since I have made my way out west (I am in Maine). Hoping to find trail advice here- especially since it will be December during covid & wildfires.

Goal is to go into Fort Collins area and into Idaho Springs. Evergreen is a stop too. Everything else is wide open to fill 14 days, before Christmas. Looking for scenic over technical. I would like to spend some time in Moab/Utah too. Wondering about conditions, will plan around that :) Thinking the weather and fires may push us into Utah.

I decided to do this 2 weeks ago. We are installing a propane water heater and upgrading lights/plugs/electric situation :)

That sounds like a great trip. Colorado and Utah are both amazing. That water heater will be real nice for a winter trip!

Reactions: Astrotrek

Astrotrek

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sabattus, ME, USA
First Name
Bethany
Last Name
Douglass
Member #

We are thinking so! Installed a little oil furnace, best move for cold nights! What area of the country do you usually explore?

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Planning PA > Glacier > Olympic> Moab > RMNP> PA for Summer 2021. I am in the very early stages. I scrapped our MT trip last summer so I am really hoping this one happens. Our end goal was doing ocean to ocean this summer, and I would really like to camp at Second Beach in Olympic. I am meeting friends in George WA, Moab and Denver for some trail time. Nothing is really concrete yet.

Reactions: Tango Tiger

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We're half way through planning South Asia, however the pandemic makes this a plan to put on the back burner, so - we're now planning on a "big trip" around Canada. If the quarantine requirements make it practical then we'd like to add in a month in Alaska as well.

We know parts of Southern BC, Southern Ontario, Southern Quebec, Eastern Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland. I know much of Alberta and NWT as well. Still lots to explore.

We usually start planning a "big trip" about 6 months ahead of departure.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

My @Texas.Alaska trip is completely planned. Routes, camping, ferry service, rig, air travel as my wife is meeting me in Anchorage on the way to Prudhoe Bay. So what to do now? Watching Expedition Overland South America. Patagonia is at the top of my bucket list. Ive been to Prudhoe Bay before, but not with my wife. Bolivia and Chile are right up my alley. I'll rewatch the series with my wife and see what she thinks.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

Currently trying to plan a 8 or 9 day trip in the end of November. Leaving from Denver and meeting up with a friend in Joshua Tree for a couple days. Still trying to figure out the in-between. Might do CO >NM>AZ>CA>NV>UT>CO. The other option would be to drop into Mexico and drive down to Puerto Penasco and come back up through Mexicali on the way to J Tree. I've been to all those states and Mexico already but not the specific areas we would go to.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

Hopefully the fires are out and they start reopening things by then. Currently National Forests on the Front Range and RMNP are closed due to fire hazards. December is a cold time in the mountains, especially at night. You may want to take a look at the western slope that time of year. It will still be cold but you may have a little better luck with the weather. Ouray and Telluride are worth checking out.

Reactions: Astrotrek

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

My @Texas.Alaska trip is completely planned. Routes, camping, ferry service, rig, air travel as my wife is meeting me in Anchorage on the way to Prudhoe Bay. So what to do now? Watching Expedition Overland South America. Patagonia is at the top of my bucket list. Ive been to Prudhoe Bay before, but not with my wife. Bolivia and Chile are right up my alley. I'll rewatch the series with my wife and see what she thinks.
If you don’t mind me asking, how much time do you have slotted for your TX>Anchorage>Prudhoe Bay trip?

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
For ideas have a look at Sur América contra el reloj (posts in both English and Spanish, alternating paragraphs) - 49,000 Km in 11 months.

1604086846316.png1604086846316.png

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

If you don’t mind me asking, how much time do you have slotted for your TX>Anchorage>Prudhoe Bay trip?
6-8 weeks. I work from home so as long as I have an internet connection once a week'ish I am good to go. My wife cant get that kind of time but she has never been to Alaska. It will be a mix of camping for several days with the odd campground or hotel to shower and eat a proper meal. Ferry will need to be flexible as their season changes every year. Worst case scenario I have to ferry from Seattle to Juneau but really want to see the rain forest in Ketchikan. I've been in two others - Olympic in WA and the Peten Region in Guatemala. So for me it will be:

Lubbock TX - Colorado Springs CO -
Colorado Springs CO - Sheridan WY -
Sheridan WY - Sweetgrass MT -
Sweetgrass MT - Calgary AB - 2 days
Calgary AB to Banff AB - 2 days
Banff AB - Prince George AK -
Prince George AK to Prince Rupert BC - Ferry -
Prince Rupert BC - Ketchikan AK - Ferry - Stay 3 days
Ketchikan AK to Whittier AK - Ferry
Whittier AK to Anchorage AK - 2 days. Oil change, water, external fuel, groceries and fully equip rig and us
Anchorage to Denali SP AK - 2 days
Denali SP AK to Fairbanks AK - Water, external fuel, groceries and fully equip rig and us
Fairbanks and push 3-4 days to Prudhoe Bay AK

This gives me 20-21 days one way with a buffer of 7 on each end of the trip.

Return will be back to Anchorage to drop wife and then I will take the ferry to Vancouver Island, BC to Seattle or I may ALCAN it to Seattle, to Eastern WA, down to Moab and home. Giving myself 3-4 weeks each way. If I am ahead of the game by the time I get back to Seattle, I will stay there for a few days to a week seeing my old home, brother and sister. I've seen Moab now, and based on my previous experience am in no hurry to visit again until they get the construction finished.

I've street mapped most of the highway travel and know roughly the areas I will boondock, campground and fill in the holes with roadside motels. Probably stay at a swanky hotel in Anchorage for a massage and cocktails. Places like Denali and Ketchikan I will sort out after I get there. Weather, fires, etc will dictate what is available to see and do.

Last edited:

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

6-8 weeks. I work from home so as long as I have an internet connection once a week'ish I am good to go. My wife cant get that kind of time but she has never been to Alaska. It will be a mix of camping for several days with the odd campground or hotel to shower and eat a proper meal. Ferry will need to be flexible as their season changes every year. Worst case scenario I have to ferry from Seattle to Juneau but really want to see the rain forest in Ketchikan. I've been in two others - Olympic in WA and the Peten Region in Guatemala. So for me it will be:

Lubbock TX - Colorado Springs CO -
Colorado Springs CO - Sheridan WY -
Sheridan WY - Sweetgrass MT -
Sweetgrass MT - Calgary AB - 2 days
Calgary AB to Banff AB - 2 days
Banff AB - Prince George AK -
Prince George AK to Prince Rupert BC - Ferry -
Prince Rupert BC - Ketchikan AK - Ferry - Stay 3 days
Ketchikan AK to Whittier AK - Ferry
Whittier AK to Anchorage AK - 2 days. Oil change, water, external fuel, groceries and fully equip rig and us
Anchorage to Denali SP AK - 2 days
Denali SP AK to Fairbanks AK - Water, external fuel, groceries and fully equip rig and us
Fairbanks and push 3-4 days to Prudhoe Bay AK

This gives me 20-21 days one way with a buffer of 7 on each end of the trip.

Return will be back to Anchorage to drop wife and then I will take the ferry to Vancouver Island, BC to Seattle or I may ALCAN it to Seattle, to Eastern WA, down to Moab and home. Giving myself 3-4 weeks each way. If I am ahead of the game by the time I get back to Seattle, I will stay there for a few days to a week seeing my old home, brother and sister. I've seen Moab now, and based on my previous experience am in no hurry to visit again until they get the construction finished.

I've street mapped most of the highway travel and know roughly the areas I will boondock, campground and fill in the holes with roadside motels. Probably stay at a swanky hotel in Anchorage for a massage and cocktails. Places like Denali and Ketchikan I will sort out after I get there. Weather, fires, etc will dictate what is available to see and do.
Nicely done. That looks like a hell of a trip and a lot of good planning.

jolyn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Chile
First Name
Jolyn
Last Name
Chua
We're in Chile now and I'm looking at South Africa for our next trip! Probably won't fuss as much for our next overland and only think about it 2-3 months in advance