Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I just watched this fellow from Japan(?) 's video. Amazed at what he carries. He seemed to have all the niceties, although compact. Bigger isn't always better. What the heck did he sleep with over his eyes? I kept waiting for him to pull out a sandwich bag for a toilet.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The freaking zippers would drive me crazy.
Mighty expensive way to eat.
Whats with alll the lights?

• Haha
Reactions: Shahn and TSO_NJ

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
LOL this is great!! Just goes to show we all have our own way. We are literally the opposite. I upgraded my suspension, welded braces on my frame and piled the kitchen sink into my rig. If I am not re-creating the experience of staying at a W hotel, while in the middle of no where, then I am failing. Continental Breakfast and mint on the pillow Baby! I still think I can fit a few more things on my rig before my tires explode :-)

(can you tell I have a wife that goes with me, LOL)

20210429_184030785_iOS (2).jpg

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

My setup is simple but seems to work... when I bring the family ( wife and kid) I drive my daily, road friendly vehicle which is a compass trailhawk. I have needed to add a trailer to this to haul everything my wife wants to pack.20210905_135330.jpg
However when I am flying solo I tend to pack a little lighter. I typically take the trail rig out to more remote spots. Less comfort, more capable offroad, trade off for hours on the road with a Jeep that's loud, hot, and windy for a camp that's got nobody for miles and unfished lakes.
20210828_094116.jpg
Two very different styles for different needs lol.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
My setup is simple but seems to work... when I bring the family ( wife and kid) I drive my daily, road friendly vehicle which is a compass trailhawk. I have needed to add a trailer to this to haul everything my wife wants to pack.View attachment 209472
However when I am flying solo I tend to pack a little lighter. I typically take the trail rig out to more remote spots. Less comfort, more capable offroad, trade off for hours on the road with a Jeep that's loud, hot, and windy for a camp that's got nobody for miles and unfished lakes.
View attachment 209473
Two very different styles for different needs lol.
I like the two rig idea!

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

GOXPLRE

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Carson
Member #

LOL this is great!! Just goes to show we all have our own way. We are literally the opposite. I upgraded my suspension, welded braces on my frame and piled the kitchen sink into my rig. If I am not re-creating the experience of staying at a W hotel, while in the middle of no where, then I am failing. Continental Breakfast and mint on the pillow Baby! I still think I can fit a few more things on my rig before my tires explode :-)

(can you tell I have a wife that goes with me, LOL)

View attachment 209352
Great minds think alike. Headed down the same path. Some may ask why I’m building my rig on an F350 platform. Simple. To haul all my gear!

Reactions: DWA and Kozysnack

static

Rank III

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
That video in the first post - it would drive me crazy to have such a setup. It takes hours to set up and tear down, then it takes a dozen USB outlets to charge all the lights, a bunch of gas canisters to keep cooking, etc.

Looks like a gear show. If I can’t have camp set up in 15 minutes and the stove out and cooking, it’s too long. And that includes tent and awning. All this little stuff in bags … no way that stays organized.

The other dead giveaway is that everything is brand spanking new and clean - if it had been used a few times, that would show.

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Service Branch
USAF BRAT
I just watched this fellow from Japan(?) 's video. Amazed at what he carries. He seemed to have all the niceties, although compact. Bigger isn't always better. What the heck did he sleep with over his eyes? I kept waiting for him to pull out a sandwich bag for a toilet.

I hit the Unwatch button hoping to get that 35 minutes of my life back (didn't work as I expected). But it is good to know that I'm not as over packed as I once thought.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Backpackers or bikers moving to vehicles tend to be like that guy. When you hump everything on your back or you are used with the limited space on bike you tend to pack small light things.. :)
I met a couple from Austria overlanding weeks in a row in a Citroen 2 Cv that was not even full. they actually still have room on the back seat, and they were sleeping in the car..
Nothing wrong with that. Remember.. you are in a holiday.. you have time...
Just because you have the space does mean you have to fill it to the brim.. lighter is better..

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549

That's awesome! I also can't get over the amount of lights! I love how everything has it's place though once unpacked!

Reactions: Kozysnack

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Just because you have the space does mean you have to fill it to the brim.. lighter is better..
Don't get me wrong, I'm looking at weight for everything I do or add. But I would NEVER EVER put four lights in a car when one or two would suffice. Then unpacking multiple fans, a USB power bank for mosquito repellant, more than a dozen items for cooking (What the heck do you need "tacticool" knives for?), just to cook some frigging Mountain House style food, you got to be kidding me!

I used to go backpacking and had a lot of small gear, but I've rarely seen so much cool looking useless stuff in one setup. Plus, again, all he's preparing there is pre-packed junk food.

Craigm

Rank V

Explorer I

Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Moss
Member #

When we camped in a ground tent it was minimal. Everything you needed and used and nothing else. Then moved to trailer and rtt and slide out kitchen. And evening got packed in., including the sink. We had to unpack everything after the first time out and start again. So much useless stuff found the bin and dual purpose items got first choice. Now it's light weight as you come to grips that trying to go through soft sand with weight does not work.

Reactions: Kozysnack

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking at weight for everything I do or add. But I would NEVER EVER put four lights in a car when one or two would suffice. Then unpacking multiple fans, a USB power bank for mosquito repellant, more than a dozen items for cooking (What the heck do you need "tacticool" knives for?), just to cook some frigging Mountain House style food, you got to be kidding me!

I used to go backpacking and had a lot of small gear, but I've rarely seen so much cool looking useless stuff in one setup. Plus, again, all he's preparing there is pre-packed junk food.
Actually that guy is a chef if I am not mistaken, and that prepacked things are made by him.
I watch the Grizzly & Bear youtube channel and during their travels trough South Korea they hooked up at some point on some kind Land rover meet up..
I might be wrong tough but it looked like it was him.