What to prioritize when buying recovery gear.

• HTML tutorial

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I’m newer to overlanding and really want to be prepared for as much as I can. I currently have Max tracks and a bumper and winch on the way. What gear do I need from here? Obviously some shackles and other stuff after reading some write ups on winching and recovery.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Well first off, since winch is a last resort for self recovery... yes I have one, yes I have winched myself out exactly 1 time in the past 30 years... and yes I have gotten stuck a lot more than that...
The best recovery tool is knowledge gained from experience... how do you gain experience? Go get stuck then get unstuck... then repeat. Once you get this down and you realize that getting stuck sucks... (literally)... you will be less apt to go places that leave you stranded...
so I know that’s not the advise you wanted to hear..and you are looking to the physical tools...
You are located in Oregon... traveling Forest Service and BLM roads and trail systems require a load out for the majority of them. The basic list is small, but not having them could result in a fine at minimum...
NFS required Fire Safety Tools:
Axe
Shovel
1 gallon of water
5# Class AB Fire extinguisher.

I bring this up because all of these could be used in a self (or buddy) recovery operation.
Axe can be used to chop dead Wood to make a lever to lift, push, or slide the vhehicle. Can make blocks of wood to make a stair case to drive out of a hole, and so many other things.

Shovel can be used to dig out the frame and low hanging parts on the rig... it can be used as a traction aid, the shovel is my 90% go to tool.

Fire extinguisher puts out the fire you started by spinning your tires (just kidding... or am I watch cyoteworks on YouTube to see his nice Jeep burn to the ground)

Water- use it to rehydrate while working.

Ok the bare essentials are done and out of the way...

You need a “tree saver” don’t anchor to a tree without one... I recommend at least an 8’ one.

Kinetic recovery rope at 25’ long

And that is really all you need... your traction boards are nice, but I can only think of a couple of times where I was like “yea a board or something would really be great here”.... I fact I don’t own and don’t plan on ever owning traction boards... ok I lied... I want a set to help spread the load of my jack when I pop my tire off the head in the sand... or have to jack for what ever reason in the snow. But that’s it, not as an actual traction aid...

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I definitely appreciate the advice man. I do carry a axe and shovel but I never thought about the application of getting unstuck with a axe honestly. I do have a fire extinguisher but It’s kinda small so I would like to upgrade that as well. I’ve always needed recovery gear in the snow I’ve never needed it in any other time although last week on the dunes I was pretty sure I would but I didn’t and made it out fine.

Reactions: Dlnuckolls

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

It really depends on where youa re going and what time of year. Desert in the summer can see dry and dusty in the morning and flash floods and impassable mud in the afternoon. Mountains can see 70°F at noon, 45°F at sunset and 28°F by midnight and a foot of snow by morning. What I carry in the almost every trip that is more than 1 day long:

Winch, shackles, snatch strap, recovery strap
Shovel
Axe
Chainsaw (when we go to our cabin at 10,000' elevation)
Traction boards
Portable battery jumper (Jackery Power Bank)

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Well first off, since winch is a last resort for self recovery... yes I have one, yes I have winched myself out exactly 1 time in the past 30 years... and yes I have gotten stuck a lot more than that...
The best recovery tool is knowledge gained from experience... how do you gain experience? Go get stuck then get unstuck... then repeat. Once you get this down and you realize that getting stuck sucks... (literally)... you will be less apt to go places that leave you stranded...
so I know that’s not the advise you wanted to hear..and you are looking to the physical tools...
You are located in Oregon... traveling Forest Service and BLM roads and trail systems require a load out for the majority of them. The basic list is small, but not having them could result in a fine at minimum...
NFS required Fire Safety Tools:
Axe
Shovel
1 gallon of water
5# Class AB Fire extinguisher.

I bring this up because all of these could be used in a self (or buddy) recovery operation.
Axe can be used to chop dead Wood to make a lever to lift, push, or slide the vhehicle. Can make blocks of wood to make a stair case to drive out of a hole, and so many other things.

Shovel can be used to dig out the frame and low hanging parts on the rig... it can be used as a traction aid, the shovel is my 90% go to tool.

Fire extinguisher puts out the fire you started by spinning your tires (just kidding... or am I watch cyoteworks on YouTube to see his nice Jeep burn to the ground)

Water- use it to rehydrate while working.

Ok the bare essentials are done and out of the way...

You need a “tree saver” don’t anchor to a tree without one... I recommend at least an 8’ one.

Kinetic recovery rope at 25’ long

And that is really all you need... your traction boards are nice, but I can only think of a couple of times where I was like “yea a board or something would really be great here”.... I fact I don’t own and don’t plan on ever owning traction boards... ok I lied... I want a set to help spread the load of my jack when I pop my tire off the head in the sand... or have to jack for what ever reason in the snow. But that’s it, not as an actual traction aid...
boy that jeep went up in a hurry too.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Might I also suggest a snatch block and winch damper. Quadratec has a kit for $99 that has everything you need for winch recovery.

@M Rose I was unaware you could be fined on forest roads. I will have to look into that. Is there info on the NFS website?

@Boppa's Travels I saw that video. So sad he wasn't able to stop it, but at least he had the where with all to keep it from spreading.

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
True
Might I also suggest a snatch block and winch damper. Quadratec has a kit for $99 that has everything you need for winch recovery.

@M Rose I was unaware you could be fined on forest roads. I will have to look into that. Is there info on the NFS website?

@Boppa's Travels I saw that video. So sad he wasn't able to stop it, but at least he had the where with all to keep it from spreading.
True he was in an area that could've have gone up fast

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

I said here in Oregon because I can’t attest to the rest of the United States...I’ll look into where I found this information in the past.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
YouTube has tons of video to help you choose equipment and how to use it.

Winch, extra 80-100 ft winch rope, 2 soft and 2 hard shackles, Yankem rope, tree saver, snatch block or 2, gloves, shovel, axe. I also have a small chain saw, air compressor, tools and tire repair. Gear America has nice kits and good prices.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

More than a winch, a good tow or snatch strap.
A shovel is the multi purpose tool of overlanding.
But better yet, quit before you get stuck, there are always signs before the tire spins and digs a hole.
Sometimes a bit of momentum will help but that can be a real catch 22.
Often just sensing a loss of traction and grabbing reverse as or before the vehicle stops.

I've driven guys trucks out after they gave up. Not sure how you get that experience, maybe the right club or group of guys to wheel with. I got it from farm trucks, construction trucks, plow trucks and driving super bees for 10 years. The best method to get unstuck, is don't get stuck. It is only inevitable if you think it is inevitable.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOAK and MarcoM

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I’ll take a look at that man appreciate it! K I’ll look into all of that. I have a few of those things listed some didn’t really think of as recovery gear but It makes since.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I’m newer to overlanding and really want to be prepared for as much as I can. I currently have Max tracks and a bumper and winch on the way. What gear do I need from here? Obviously some shackles and other stuff after reading some write ups on winching and recovery.
Two quick questions that might help out:
1. Do you usually go offroading by yourself, or with at least one other rig?
- If you usually go with other rigs then a recovery strap is good to have, if you are by yourself it's not useful.
- If you usually go by yourself then focusing on self-recovery makes sense, and I'd recommend winch accessories like a tree strap, shackles, snatch block, extension line, etc.

2. Do you have suitable (rated) recovery points on the front and back of your truck? This should be the first goal.

Winches are great for self recovery, but keep in mind that they are mostly useful for pulling yourself forward, and quite often the best plan is to actually back off of the obstacle and not commit further.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

I do at this point almost always go by myself granted I don’t know on super technical stuff so that’s why so far I have focused on self recovery. You make a really good point about going backwards instead of commuting further. Obviously things like traction boards will work but until I get a winch I can mount in a receiver what else should I think I about?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I said here in Oregon because I can’t attest to the rest of the United States...I’ll look into where I found this information in the past.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not looked recently, but Nevada, in their hunting rules and regulation pamphlet, a person is required to have, 5 gallons? of water, a shovel, a axe, maybe a mattock (rake) like firemen use. It is possible a fire extinguisher is now also needed, due to the increased fire issues in the West.
I have a chemical one, but also acquired a old water type D?, that would work in your campsite/ fire pit area, if open fires are allowed. As it was already stated, to have and not need is so much better than need and not have. The coyote works video was down right scary. It was what motivated me to step up my game in this regard.

If your not running GAP insurance, or you have a paid off vehicle, can you afford to start over at 3/4 value, and still have to replace everything you had invested? Something to keep in mind,......for sure!
OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.png
It won't happen......until it does.

• Love
Reactions: M Rose

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

All the recovery gear is great but like every thing else some times you have to able to think out of the box ,bag ,area of knowledge you have, to make tools ,gear at hand work for your situation or needs at the time
But first and for most you have to be Safe that is what has to be number one concern when wheeln by your self yes some times place we go or places the vehicle wants to stop and enjoy more than we do may not be the safest in those times we can only do the best we can be prepared for maybe a day or two stuck water food shelter / blankets if cold and good first aid kit and knowledge to use it vehicles and equipment can be replaced But most importantly keep your cool and have a good time remember you want to go that way.........most of the time

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Fire Extinguisher - I prefer Halotron
Tree Saver
Snatch strap matched to your vehicle weight
3-4 shackles
Pulley Block
Shovel/Axe

After than you’ll figure out what else you need. A 2nd tree saver can be helpful, winch extension line. Deadman anchor. Come along or hand winch. All comes down to where you wheel.

Everyone has their preferred recovery methods. I use my winch more than anything. Simple, slow, easy to control recovery. Takes time to rig. Synthetic rope is a must IMHO. That really changed my attitude towards the winch. Safety yes but more so it made working with it easier and less labor-some.

I have Maxxtrax and hardly ever use them. Snow more than anything.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Fire Extinguisher - I prefer Halotron
Tree Saver
Snatch strap matched to your vehicle weight
3-4 shackles
Pulley Block
Shovel/Axe

After than you’ll figure out what else you need. A 2nd tree saver can be helpful, winch extension line. Deadman anchor. Come along or hand winch. All comes down to where you wheel.

Everyone has their preferred recovery methods. I use my winch more than anything. Simple, slow, easy to control recovery. Takes time to rig. Synthetic rope is a must IMHO. That really changed my attitude towards the winch. Safety yes but more so it made working with it easier and less labor-some.

I have Maxxtrax and hardly ever use them. Snow more than anything.
Yeah I don’t do any real wheeling just overland travel. And with that I’m usually by myself maybe with another vehicle so I opted for a winch maxtrax and I need a winch pulley I ended up getting a deadman because it doubles as a tree saver and I need a couple more shackles. Next I’ll get some recovery straps.

Reactions: Traxx

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah I don’t do any real wheeling just overland travel. And with that I’m usually by myself maybe with another vehicle so I opted for a winch maxtrax and I need a winch pulley I ended up getting a deadman because it doubles as a tree saver and I need a couple more shackles. Next I’ll get some recovery straps.
Don’t forget the Shovel and the fire extinguishers

Traxx

Rank 0

Contributor II

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grishom
For recovery from the rear or side or camp site pulling and a general damn handy thing to have. Been in use since the Stone Age. Slow, labor intensive and makes you think about your wheeling sins. The Come A Long. You can use the same accessories as the winch.