Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Nice setup man! I’m headed back to the Smokies and Pisgah NC in the spring to chase some brownies. Cannot wait.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I am getting ready to tear the suspension out of mine and rebuild, and I need to patch a hole in my floor and start building a roof rack so that I can load the whole family in for trips and actually be able to use my back seat ( which has been pulled out for about 7 years). Winter I usually don't take my TJ out much and I rely entirely on my compass so I have time to tear it apart!

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Re spooling all my saltwater reels, re wired all of my electronics to a fuse block and breaker, sat in the garage and fluid filmed every inch of the bottom, and I'm basically losing my mind right now. The other night I sat in the garage staring at my truck for 15 mins because I couldn't think of anything else to do and the weather sucks.

Reactions: Big G

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
Here in Arizona we don't have an "off season" really, BUT I do not do any planned wrenching on the Jeep during the summer. 100-121 degrees from june to September...brutal. When it is hot here we do our Overlanding in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Cali and on up the west coast.

Reactions: Big G

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I don’t understand what this offseason thing is ? Every season adds something new to travel and exploring
Exactly. What I like is when it is "off season" for others. My wife and I just did a 10 day trip to north Georgia and camp grounds that are normally packed, only had 3-4 spots filled out of 60...no noise and no waiting to use the shower and PLENTY of hot water since we were the only ones using it. Most of the waterfall hikes we went on we pretty much had to ourselves and since it was in the 30s, no sweating, no bugs, and seeing waterfalls in the winter with icicles hanging off the rocks is pretty cool to see. Off season is prime season for us!

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Exactly. What I like is when it is "off season" for others. My wife and I just did a 10 day trip to north Georgia and camp grounds that are normally packed, only had 3-4 spots filled out of 60...no noise and no waiting to use the shower and PLENTY of hot water since we were the only ones using it. Most of the waterfall hikes we went on we pretty much had to ourselves and since it was in the 30s, no sweating, no bugs, and seeing waterfalls in the winter with icicles hanging off the rocks is pretty cool to see. Off season is prime season for us!
Around here most of the trails and even some roads that most people looking to get into the back country are closed to 4x4s and only allowed access by snowmobile. I still get out and do my winter camping in the snow and do some ice fishing with some friends but I take my smaller 4x4 ( my Dailey driver Compass Trailhawk). I tent to not go as far off the grid in winter as the consequences of failure would be sever and though I consider myself an avid outdoorsman and know a good deal about survival and winter camping with minimal gear, I don't want to test that if I don't need to lol.

Reactions: grubworm

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

We try to keep occupied in the winter months. Still manage to get some camping in, and combine it with snowshoeing or winter hiking. When in doubt we do still Netflix and hibernate at home.

Ashnola.jpg

Overland True North

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Girard, OH, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Cur
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1DON
We try to keep occupied in the winter months. Still manage to get some camping in, and combine it with snowshoeing or winter hiking. When in doubt we do still Netflix and hibernate at home.

View attachment 138603
"snowshoeing" or "winter hiking" Those are prohibited words in ARIZONA :)

Reactions: trikebubble

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Oct-March or thereabouts is my Glamis season. It's outdoors, and it's camping, but it's a very different thing vs. Overlanding. Perhaps part of the reason I'm so drawn to Overlanding is Glamis is MUCH more complicated and MUCH more of a production. I've gone through various toy haulers, RVs, stacker trailers etc. At any one time I've had as many as 2 big V8-powered sand rails and 1 RZR, or 1 V8 sand rail and 3 RZRs (yes, 3... I'm dumb). It all got to be too much and I really burned out on it about 3 seasons ago (after going through 3 motor rebuilds and 1 sequential transaxle rebuild in one season) and sold off a lot of the stuff. I tried to limp along another season or two still having 2 RZRs and trying to make big power with one (Z1-snowmobile motor swapped pushing 40psi of boost) then I tried going with a smaller, 4 cylinder (Supercharged Ecotec) rail. Even with those I just needed to scale back, so right now I just have a Toy Hauler and a single RZR. Stil, Glamis is a 12hr drive and I have to prep a truck, a trailer, and a toy to get out there.

Here's the current setup:
20190121_134404.jpg
20190121_135843.jpg

(apparently I never take pics when it's actually setup, just when I'm leaving :p )

This was my previous, and favorite setup:
Scales.jpeg
PotterStacker.jpg
weightslip.jpg
(awesome rig, but a lot of time and money tied up in it)

My last V8 rail, and probably my overall favorite (Potter productions PX2 2-seat rail, 589 Rear Wheel HP high compression, naturally aspirated, 440cui LS7):
Potter1.jpg
PotterBest.jpg
stuff.jpg
wheelies.jpg
potter.png
(last pic has the Potter with our previous 2016 XP Turbo RZR)

A few of the other rails:
DTD1.jpg
Extreme1.jpg
Extreme3.jpg
(Extreme Double Throw Down, twin turbo LS1)

SCU1.jpg
SCU2.jpg
(SCU Pro Bro, another high-compression LS7, this one was 427cui in this one)

Revo1.jpg

Revo2.jpg
(little red car was my BFD Revo with the supercharged Ecotech motor, the red RZR in the last pic is our current '18 XP Turbo - the only one of any of these we still have)

Z1_2.jpg
Z1_4.jpg
(Z1 motor-swapped RZR with an HCR long travel and ALL sorts of other stuff, 40psi of boost and ~300 Rear Wheel HP for the few seconds a belt would last)

TheCrew.jpg
A good pic from a group ride a few seasons back - my Potter, a SCU Little Bro with a 425 NA LS3, an Extreme Eco3 with a twin turbo 440cui LS7, Funco GTX with a 502cui LS7, 2 seat Tatum PreRunner with a 440cui LS7, Desert Rat with a NA 6.0 LQ4 junkyard motor, I think that was a Sandco with a big TT LS7, Carr One with 440cui TT LS7, Tatum PreRunner TT 440cui LS7, last car you barely see in this pic but is first in the next pic is a 2 seat AlumiCraft with a Supercharged 425cui LS3). Same group going the other way:
myclique2.jpg

Those pics were taken at Duner's Diner. It's an awesome place you can ride the dunes to and is basically right at the 8 highway, at the Mexico boarder:
diner.JPG

The red arrow is where we camp, the red circle is the Diner those last 2 pics were taken at... it's about a 20-mile dune run to get there, sometimes we take the looooong way back through the dunes back and sort of make a trip like this:
Ride.png
Obviously the actual routes we travel aren't nearly that straight. Heading down we can run relatively straight, but heading back up (the more Eastern of the two long north<->south runs) it's more out in the real dunes and is waaaaaaaaaaay more swoopy and way more miles).

-TJ

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
My answer to the What do you do in the off season is, live in a place where there isn't an off season:grinning: like Southern Oregon. If you don't want snow in the mountains to play in the lower levels still offer plenty of camping, or, one can always head to the coast. I like it!!

Reactions: grubworm