Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Hello Arizona folks!

My wife, dog and I are considering a trip of some sorts from Northern Colorado to Arizona. We've never been to Arizona so let's go visit and explore! Things I've found that I think are a must do are Antelope Canyon and Grand Canyon. We're absolutely open to disbursed camping and hitting some must to trails. We have a 3" lifted Rubicon on 37s, so we're fairly capable. Can anyone offer some suggestions of a "if you visit Arizona only once, you must do ......"?

I appreciate all input!

Thank you

Mike

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
It has been a while (almost 20 years now) since I was in AZ and didnt do much camping. North Rim of the Grand Canyon for camping. Tombstone (yeah it is a tourist trap but kind of cool)

Venture4WD (youtube guy) has a couple of videos of places/trails he has been on in AZ

Reactions: wishihada4runner

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

There are three Jeep badge trails we’re going to hit between Phoenix and Flagstaff. One is Schnebly Hill in Sedona, so we’ll definitely be in that area. The other two are in Mountain Springs and New River. Right now I’m thinking three nights South of the Flagstaff area to hit those trails and do other exploring. Nothing set in stone yet though, in the planning phase now. Hence why I’m looking for the expert locals opinions. :smile:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Hi Mike,
Since you’re coming down from Colorado, maybe check out a bit of northwest New Mexico along the way? Camp for a night in Chaco Culture National Historical Park to watch the stars and tour some amazing Ancient Puebloan ruins; drive the rim of Canyon de Chelly; if you hike, visit the Bisti/De-Na-Zin Badlands and camp in the parking lot overnight (bring water!); continue south to Bandelier National Monument to see cliff dwellings - don’t miss the separate Tsankawi area, it’s very unique! The Valles Caldera area is scenic and if you ever watched Longmire, you’ll recognize his “home” in the valley. Nearby is Los Alamos which has the free Bradbury Science Museum (watch the short film) and old main gate to the restricted area. Another cool hike is the Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks (check for status, it’s been closed). Santa Fe has an interesting art scene, good food and there’s camping up in the beautiful Santa Fe National Forest. Aspens and altitude!
Track west into Arizona with a drive through the Petrified Forest National Park on your way to Flagstaff. Just north of town are the Wupatki ruins and Sunset Crater. Onward to the Grand Canyon…see the South Rim, but camp on the North Rim for a quieter experience. You may see bison. Again, if you like to hike, drive to Wire Pass Trailhead and hike into Buckskin Gulch. Note that you can bypass the “drop” in the first narrow area by simply hiking up to the right and around. Once in the canyon proper, turn right for the deep, narrow slot areas. Makes Antelope Canyon look like a cheap strip mall!
Southern Arizona has plenty of charm, too. South of Phoenix, you’ll pass thru the Sonoran Desert. In early spring, the poppy bloom is lovely. Tucson has the Hotel Congress where John Dillinger was apprehended in 1934. Outside of Tucson, drive up Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski resort in the U.S. Visit Saguaro National Park and watch a glorious sunset. Chiricahua and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monuments are pretty cool, too.
Okay, that should keep you busy for a while…have a great time!

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello Arizona folks!

My wife, dog and I are considering a trip of some sorts from Northern Colorado to Arizona. We've never been to Arizona so let's go visit and explore! Things I've found that I think are a must do are Antelope Canyon and Grand Canyon. We're absolutely open to disbursed camping and hitting some must to trails. We have a 3" lifted Rubicon on 37s, so we're fairly capable. Can anyone offer some suggestions of a "if you visit Arizona only once, you must do ......"?

I appreciate all input!

Thank you

Mike
Hello Mike
While a lot depends upon what time of the years you are coming I prefer the North rim of the Canyon, you will be close to the North rim while in the Page area. Be sure to visit the iconic overlook of Horseshoe Bend, it is in the Page area. As for Antelope Canyon there is a great option for a photographers tour. It is a lot less crowded. Both upper and lower canyons are worth a visit. If you only do one I suggest the lower. While in the Page area the Vermillion cliffs are beautiful and worth a side trip. If you are going far enough Sedona is absolutely a must see area, best during week days though, very busy on weekends. As you head south the town of Jerome is a fun side trip. It is a small old mining town built on the side of a mountain that is now a tourist town. If you go to Jerome be sure to head over Mingus Mt and visit Prescott. In the Phoenix area I would say the Superstition Mountains are worth a visit. There is a nice hike in the Lost Dutchman state park called Flat Iron. The Four Peaks area just north of the Supers is a beautiful camping area also. If you make it all the way to Tucson then Mt Lemon is the area to camp and while there be sure to visit the Saguaro National park. Here is a link for some hikes: Arizona State Parks & Trails If you are not going that far south a visit to the Mogallon Rim area above Payton is a great trip. Visit Woods Canyon lake, probably the prettiest lake in our state. If you need/want more suggestions please DM me and I’ll give you my cell so we can talk.
Rich

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Hi Mike,
Since you’re coming down from Colorado, maybe check out a bit of northwest New Mexico along the way? Camp for a night in Chaco Culture National Historical Park to watch the stars and tour some amazing Ancient Puebloan ruins; drive the rim of Canyon de Chelly; if you hike, visit the Bisti/De-Na-Zin Badlands and camp in the parking lot overnight (bring water!); continue south to Bandelier National Monument to see cliff dwellings - don’t miss the separate Tsankawi area, it’s very unique! The Valles Caldera area is scenic and if you ever watched Longmire, you’ll recognize his “home” in the valley. Nearby is Los Alamos which has the free Bradbury Science Museum (watch the short film) and old main gate to the restricted area. Another cool hike is the Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks (check for status, it’s been closed). Santa Fe has an interesting art scene, good food and there’s camping up in the beautiful Santa Fe National Forest. Aspens and altitude!
Track west into Arizona with a drive through the Petrified Forest National Park on your way to Flagstaff. Just north of town are the Wupatki ruins and Sunset Crater. Onward to the Grand Canyon…see the South Rim, but camp on the North Rim for a quieter experience. You may see bison. Again, if you like to hike, drive to Wire Pass Trailhead and hike into Buckskin Gulch. Note that you can bypass the “drop” in the first narrow area by simply hiking up to the right and around. Once in the canyon proper, turn right for the deep, narrow slot areas. Makes Antelope Canyon look like a cheap strip mall!
Southern Arizona has plenty of charm, too. South of Phoenix, you’ll pass thru the Sonoran Desert. In early spring, the poppy bloom is lovely. Tucson has the Hotel Congress where John Dillinger was apprehended in 1934. Outside of Tucson, drive up Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski resort in the U.S. Visit Saguaro National Park and watch a glorious sunset. Chiricahua and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monuments are pretty cool, too.
Okay, that should keep you busy for a while…have a great time!
Awesome thank you!! This will help build the itinerary. Was planning on going through Moab then down into AZ then East to NM so this could very well work out to see some of these great places and I appreciate the hiking recommendations!!

Reactions: ZombieCat

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Hello Mike
While a lot depends upon what time of the years you are coming I prefer the North rim of the Canyon, you will be close to the North rim while in the Page area. Be sure to visit the iconic overlook of Horseshoe Bend, it is in the Page area. As for Antelope Canyon there is a great option for a photographers tour. It is a lot less crowded. Both upper and lower canyons are worth a visit. If you only do one I suggest the lower. While in the Page area the Vermillion cliffs are beautiful and worth a side trip. If you are going far enough Sedona is absolutely a must see area, best during week days though, very busy on weekends. As you head south the town of Jerome is a fun side trip. It is a small old mining town built on the side of a mountain that is now a tourist town. If you go to Jerome be sure to head over Mingus Mt and visit Prescott. In the Phoenix area I would say the Superstition Mountains are worth a visit. There is a nice hike in the Lost Dutchman state park called Flat Iron. The Four Peaks area just north of the Supers is a beautiful camping area also. If you make it all the way to Tucson then Mt Lemon is the area to camp and while there be sure to visit the Saguaro National park. Here is a link for some hikes: Arizona State Parks & Trails If you are not going that far south a visit to the Mogallon Rim area above Payton is a great trip. Visit Woods Canyon lake, probably the prettiest lake in our state. If you need/want more suggestions please DM me and I’ll give you my cell so we can talk.
Rich
Awesome thank you! A lot of good info from you guys. It’s like a puzzle now, I just need to put the pieces together to complete our full picture. I just may reach out further, thank you for the offer!

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

I cowboyed Sedona by horseback gathering mavericks for eight dollars a head as a young teenager. . . That area is truly magnificent but, I wouldn't go back there now with all the jeep tours and side-by-sides. . . I like more secluded explorations so for me ,. . . "if you visit Arizona only once, you must do" . . . the Grand Canyon

3840262f-dc79-4d55-9779-a64ebdaa1dbb_92142580437244.jpg
Resized_20210404_193216 (002).jpeg

Reactions: jeepers29

wishihada4runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

I cowboyed Sedona by horseback gathering mavericks for eight dollars a head as a young teenager. . . That area is truly magnificent but, I wouldn't go back there now with all the jeep tours and side-by-sides. . . I like more secluded explorations so for me ,. . . "if you visit Arizona only once, you must do" . . . the Grand Canyon

View attachment 250391
View attachment 250393
Yeah, I think Grand Canyon is on the list for sure. That's so well known though, I like the little hidden gems which I'd otherwise miss.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Reactions: Akicita

BB2594

Rank V

Member II

Tempe, Arizona, United States
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

A good spot to camp if you’re wanting to be closer to Flagstaff is the Mogollan Rim. Plenty of fire roads are still open and the majority of them have turn offs to park and camp.

Reactions: orange01z28