Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
I have an opportunity to buy a very well equipped, however needing some TLC and tidying, JKUR with a Hemi swap. I currently have a unique truck and I sorta like that aspect of it. But EVERYTHING I do has to be custom made or really well scrounged out...and that I am getting sick of.

Current truck is a 99 Dodge 2500, diesel with 6-speed manual, long-armed, coil overs, has utility bed on the back...that stuff is pretty dialed in. I still have to build bumpers, sliders, figure out my sleeping situation, wire up the house battery stuff, etc. It also has 250,000 miles.

The JKUR is an 09ish, with maybe 70,000 miles on the chassis and 40,000 on the hemi and auto swap. It has everything...wired in-house battery, fridge, partner stove, the suspension is done, a bunch of AT bits inside and out. Is on 37 bead locks (I'd likely ditch those though)...it looks like it needs some wiring clean up, a little rebuild on the Fox shocks and that is about it.

I am sure I can recoup about half the cost of the JKUR with the proceeds of selling my truck (they still bring a pretty penny). I have not owned a newer Jeep and always wanted one. I am sorta stoked that I can flip open any catalog and order parts for the JK.

I need some words of wisdom from the brain trust...any comments are GREATLY appreciated.

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

Will you need to upgrade the axles on the Jeep to handle the extra torque of the Hemi,or has it already been addressed?
Is the 2500 paid for and in decent condition?
At 250k miles.the engine still has a lot of life left in it.
You could install an RTT on the utility bed for sleeping.
If it's a standard cab truck,I'd consider the Jeep.
If it's a quad/crew/extended cab.I'd keep the truck
Please post a couple pictures of the truck

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
If you are "getting sick of" your current truck and the things you have to do to get it where you want then I guess you've already kind of made your decision?

I suppose if you are after something you can get parts for more easily and gets you what you want from a rig quicker, more reliably and with less outlay then there really is no question. Go for it.
But if you do like the unique aspect of what you have are you really going to be happy going for something a lot more commonplace and that you don't know?

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Dodge is paid for...in pretty good shape. Needs seats recovered, some wiring projects taken care of...but AC blows cold and cruise works. New radiator, starter, alternator, most of the suspension stuff is new due to the long arm kit, brakes are new, I am diligent about changing fluids. Has a Kenwood head unit but needs speakers and small sub and an amp. All in all it's in good shape. Needs ALL the trail stuff...bumpers, winch, sliders, skids, house battery setup, sleeping setup (been through the RTTs, ground tents, etc. Looking at an Alu-Cab or Baroud or even the AT Vehicle Tent-thingy).

The JKU has ALL the stuff...all of it...it's done, like I mentioned needs tidying up, but it is all there.

Dodge Pics

20170714_150350.jpg
Ignore the Flippac, it's gone. I built a custom aluminum rack, like a lumber rack, when I had the RTT on it. I would not oposed to running that again for the RTTs.

The Dodge is about the same footprint as a Tacoma, maybe 5 inches wider. Has better approach, departure and break-overs as a Tacoma. But obviously not near what the JKU has.

Reactions: Scarab

gtomike

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Milford,MA
Member #

That's a sweet looking truck right there.
Just a few more things to do to it to get it where it needs to be.
I get the appeal of the Jeep.it's set up the way you want already.
Will you be buying it outright,or,will you have payments?
See if you can test drive it for a few hours.Take it on the highway, drive it around town and some back roads to get a feel of the comfort and handling.
For me,personally,I find smaller vehicles to be confining and cramped after a few hours on the road and find it difficult to stay in a comfortable seating position.

Make the choice that works best for your needs in the long run

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

I'm not that deep into USA spec vehicles.. but a JKUR is smaller then a dodge 2500 right? So question is do you need the space? The JKUR also has extra seats?

I think I would go for the newer vehicle with everything done.. if money lets you that is. Having to build everthing for the 2500 is probably going to be pretty costly as well.

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
I bet the JKU has more "cab" space than the Dodge. It has a smaller footprint for sure too.

If I keep the Dodge I will paint the entire thing...i have some military paint in a dark earth color that'll be great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: gtomike

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

Comes down to time IMO. Do you have time to build the Dodge into the finish truck you want or do you just want to get out there now in a finished vehicle? The Jeep should wheel harder trails. But I don't know what your in to.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
Take all the stuff out of your utility bed boxes and figure out where it will go in the Jeep or if you can do without it. Really opposite platforms, the answer lies in YOUR need/want in a rig.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

WOW

We will be able to see you now!

Still working on the suspension issues for you, my contacts are busy with SEMA projects so I hope to hear back later this week.

Looking forward to seeing your new rig in person!

Reactions: CatButt

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Thx Daryl...for now I am gonna keep both...i want to see if I really love the Jeep...but I sorta think I will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Daryl 32

Davidt443

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hammond, LA
Member #

I'm jealous you have that truck... I want that truck... Keep the truck! I sold my 2wd F-150 for a 4x4 v8 Grand cherokee, don't get me wrong I love the jeep but miss the aspect of having a truck. Nice jeep! That RTT is awesome.

Reactions: CatButt

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I go along with everyone that says keep both! I have the same truck, 99' 2500 with the 5speed. As much as I love my other vehicles, if it came down to one, I would keep my truck! I can put my 8' foot camper in the bed of the truck, hook up the CJ7, ( sold it) and down the road I go. With all that, I was averaging 18 m.p.g. Try that with your Hemi? Benz.