What tents are you using?

• HTML tutorial

XkenhillX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitsap county, Washington
Member #

Due to my growing family I'm in the market for a new tent. I have two kids and pets that will be sleeping with us so a roof top tent is not an option. Hoping I could see your set up so I could figure out some options. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i use an msr elixer 4 for my wife and son. its probably a bit small for you, but the right idea. light and small packed up but a castle for us 3. get a good one, not a walmart one.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Prior to getting my RTT, I was using an REI Base Camp 6. Usually just my son and I, this 6 man tent gave us plenty room for two military style cots, all of our gear and space for another friend or two. It's also tall enough for me to stand up in being 6 foot tall. I am a huge fane of getting the biggest tent you can afford that you have space to transport.

IMG_0067.JPG

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Shiftpod2 for basecamping, Sierra Designs Tensigrity pro for backpacking, and a 4 person Sierra Designs for inbetween.
IMG_8972.JPG

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Camp with my wife and two kids fairly often. I've got a cheaper tent that works for us, but wouldn't be considered a top of the line tent. Regardless, if you haven't looked into cots for the tent you should. When we backpack we sleep in hammocks, but when we overland/car camp my wife and kids are HUGE fans of cots. Good luck.

XkenhillX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitsap county, Washington
Member #

Camp with my wife and two kids fairly often. I've got a cheaper tent that works for us, but wouldn't be considered a top of the line tent. Regardless, if you haven't looked into cots for the tent you should. When we backpack we sleep in hammocks, but when we overland/car camp my wife and kids are HUGE fans of cots. Good luck.
I don't mind sleeping on the ground. I have a REI dome 2 tent that I have used for years. First time I went camping with the family they couldn't believe I was expecting them to sleep on the ground. Definitely keep that in mind when I look at some tents.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

We just got this Field and Stream "4 person tent". I got it for a crazy good deal local to me (big box store) and couldn't pass it up. We haven't used it just yet, but I set it up at home and only took a few minutes. My wife, son, husky and I fit no problem. What I like about it too is that we can use it as a regular canopy. It didn't cost much more than a canopy by itself.

Let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/field-stream-4-person-canopy-tent-16fnsufscnpytntxxcat/16fnsufscnpytntxxcat

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
We use a few different Go-lite tents for our outings...the company has changed names to MyTrail over the years. They are teepee style tents that have weathered everything that Mother Nature has thrown at them. On the other hand though ...I have used all kinds of tents over a very long camping tenure and if money is an issue there is nothing wrong with a Wal-mart tent for the first few seasons...the point is getting the family out and exploring.