What springs to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

OK guys....I am looking at springs for my Jeep, I think I have decided to go with the OME springs. What's your opinions on them? I am also trying to decide if i should got HD or MD springs? From what i have read they only lift around 1.25-1.5inches over stock, that wont work for me since my tires are over sized so i'll probably pair them up with 1in spring spacers. Any other details or upgrades i should consider?

I will be running a steel front and rear bumper soon, with swing out tire carrier on back and winch on front.

HangryMachinist

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hollister
Member #

You may want to wait and see how much the bumper makes your front end sag. I just bought an 02 WJ and I am going threw the same questions. Im thinking of getting longer springs and not adding a spacer. Unless when I add a bumper it makes my frond end sag. At that point ill add a spacer to preload the springs.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Upon researching springs for my patriot the only legitimate company with solid reviews was King Spring. Here is their Catalog . I would scroll down till you get to your vehicle, go across to find what the coil spring code is and then google that code.

I found affordable ones for my pat on ebay...only thing is prices are listed in Australian Dollars. AU $355.00 for the springs +AU $176.00 Express International Flat Rate Postage. Total AU$531. Then used google to convert AU$531 to USD and the total, in American Dollars is $385.67......if the AUD continues to weaken, that will work out for me!

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

From the research iv'e done it seems a lot of these other brands have sagging issues as where the OME (ARB) springs do not.. Any thoughts?

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I think knowingly putting on spring that necessitate an additional spacer is not a good concept. I would think there are plenty of options to run a proper length spring for your desired lift height. It is a Jeep and anything under the sun has been done and is generally available.

I was going to go with the IRO on my ZJ but have decided to either sell it or toss a set of spring spacers sine I have shocks, tires, and wheels already. They had great reviews on their springs and if i do go to a 4 inch kit I would just buy their springs and do the F-R swap since it is a V8.

Seems with the reading I did on IRO that the WJ guys liked them as well and had good reviews.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I think knowingly putting on spring that necessitate an additional spacer is not a good concept. I would think there are plenty of options to run a proper length spring for your desired lift height. It is a Jeep and anything under the sun has been done and is generally available.

I was going to go with the IRO on my ZJ but have decided to either sell it or toss a set of spring spacers sine I have shocks, tires, and wheels already. They had great reviews on their springs and if i do go to a 4 inch kit I would just buy their springs and do the F-R swap since it is a V8.

Seems with the reading I did on IRO that the WJ guys liked them as well and had good reviews.
Yeah i know.. I am really hoping to get away from spacers, but after more research OME advertises areound 1.25 lift but most users are saying that got closer to 3in lift from their HD springs. I think based on my research I'll probably go with OME, since they are affiliated with ARB i know their customer service is excellent, i used their C.S. on a ARB compressor i used to have and they were great people to deal with.

hardtrailz

Rank V

Advocate II

Indiana
I have heard good things about OME. I am just not an ARB fan really. The CS on locker issues was less than good. It became a blame game.

Overland-Indiana

Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I have heard good things about OME. I am just not an ARB fan really. The CS on locker issues was less than good. It became a blame game.
I'm not opposed to other spring manufacturers, I have just always heard OME are top notch. I want something that rides great off and on road and will give me lift around 2.5in.

dagen

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oakland, CA
Member #

OK guys....I am looking at springs for my Jeep, I think I have decided to go with the OME springs. What's your opinions on them? I am also trying to decide if i should got HD or MD springs? From what i have read they only lift around 1.25-1.5inches over stock, that wont work for me since my tires are over sized so i'll probably pair them up with 1in spring spacers. Any other details or upgrades i should consider?

I will be running a steel front and rear bumper soon, with swing out tire carrier on back and winch on front.
Everything I have heard about OME is that they are amazing. I am going to run their setup for my 4Runner. And in all the research I have done it has always been recommended to run the HD springs when running steel bumpers/ winch/ etc. . to offset the droop from the extra weight.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I've got OME's and love them. 881's and 890's. You'll want heavier perhaps because of the bumpers you'll be adding? I got about 3" lift from each and after 3 months I haven't seen settling yet. I have a little rake, but when loaded it's level.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I run Toytec, Its a toy.....
I think if you research through the jeep forums they may have more insight. So many vehicles and so many manufactures it can be confusing...
Good luck!