Poquoson, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Leahy
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Looking for some recommendations for a fridge. I have a 2016 4Runner and take 2-3 day long trips with my son (9), sometimes my daughter (5), and once my newborn is a little older I will be adding him and my wife.

I’d rather spend more once and I’m thinking about an ARB, Dometic, or DFG Off Road (no reviews anywhere) with the Bluetooth and getting a tilt slide, but I don’t know what size.

Originally I was thinking about a dual zone but I can’t conceptualize how much space I will lose for the ability to have space that I can‘t think what would go in the freezer side other than ice cream.

Thoughts?

jerdog53

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Mobile Alabama
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Moran
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0ZDX
So I have a 50qt Indel B that works well for my wife and I space wise for better part of a week. I think you will be waisting valuable space be getting one with duel zones. Although ice cream is nice but not necessary. I don"t refrigerate beverage cans until the day of use, stocking them in the morning.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a 56 qt dometic and it works well for just the wife and i and even handles things when my two boys tag along. the 50-60qt range seems to be the sweet spot for amount of storage and space it takes up. i like using it for meat, cheese, etc and i generally use a separate chest with ice for drinks. i like a separate chest for drinks because it gets a lot of opening and closing and i can always throw it in the back of the truck if we're out exploring and need drinks. i have the dual zone but just use it as fridge...but nice to have the option i guess

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I have a 52 qt ARB and it has been the ideal size for multi day trips. Pay attention how the fridge lid deploys. My one complaint about the ARB, lid always crashing on my head...wish it opened to the side.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Bryan0302

Rank III

Member I

Poquoson, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Leahy
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
So much great information, thank you all. I am definitely thinking that I will stick to a single zone for now and maybe a more inexpensive model like the Alpicool. If my family goes out more next year I can upgrade.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

I have a Dometic CFX 35 and do 2-4 day trips with my wife and kiddo without any problem. If I had 1-2 more kids with me I would consider moving up to something in the 40-50L range, but don’t think it would be absolutely necessary.

I have found that if you’re used to using a cooler that you can divide the cooler size by 2 and that should work for fridge size. For example if you use a 100 liter cooler for camping and thats as small as you can go then I would get a 40-50L fridge. Without ice taking up space and with how much better you can organize your fridge without ice constantly in your way you can get by with much smaller.

2BigTaco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Diamond Bar, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Tubig
Member #

This is great information. I'm also in the market for a fridge as I'm tired of ice and soggy food. Leaning toward the CFX 35 or new CFX3 40.

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

We are leaning towards one of the new models from National Luna, but will be seriously comparing it to the Snowmaster, ARB and Dometic lineups before pulling the trigger.

Bryan0302

Rank III

Member I

Poquoson, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Leahy
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Made a HUGE mistake and told the wife how they cost new, and never even brought up the cost of the slide. Oops

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Wow, I just looked at fridge prices and I don't understand what happened to the pricing on the ARB and Dometic fridges. I payed 549.99 for my CFX35 in 2017, which is basically Dometic's ARB equivalent. Now that one or the newer CFX3 version is listed at 900+ dollars. Holy cow.

Bryan0302

Rank III

Member I

Poquoson, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Leahy
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If I get the Dometic CFXs 45L, do I need to get a new battery or something to run it when the 4Runner is off? Here is a great article on it that looks like I need to but thought I would ask.

BKD Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palm Desert, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Border
Member #

When I was out purchasing a gun safe. The salesman gave me a wise piece of advice.

“Figure out what size you believe you’ll need and buy the next size up”

This advice has done me well in both cases.

Staticline40

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Tebo
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Retired
If I get the Dometic CFXs 45L, do I need to get a new battery or something to run it when the 4Runner is off? Here is a great article on it that looks like I need to but thought I would ask.
This is the beginning of the downward spiral (money wise :smirk: )...my buddy ran his in his JKU with the single battery for a while, he just set the fridge to shut off to protect the battery. The Dometic APP has this setting. Since then he has gone to a dual battery set-up. I use a Dometic PLB 40 mounted in the back to power the fridge and charge it when I drive the truck or with a panel.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

If you want to do the calculation, a 10lb bag of ice is about 13qt if my memory serves me and I've always gone with a 60/40 split of food to ice when going for longer trips. Normally that's 20-25lbs of ice (depends if I have frozen things like meat in there) with the other half bag going into my smaller cooler I keep in the cab for water and lunch.

However, if I were to do a fridge, I'd still go with around a 60qt because you can always fill in with ice packs and water bottles to add thermal mass. Better to have too much than too little.

Bryan0302

Rank III

Member I

Poquoson, VA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Leahy
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If you want to do the calculation, a 10lb bag of ice is about 13qt if my memory serves me and I've always gone with a 60/40 split of food to ice when going for longer trips. Normally that's 20-25lbs of ice (depends if I have frozen things like meat in there) with the other half bag going into my smaller cooler I keep in the cab for water and lunch.

However, if I were to do a fridge, I'd still go with around a 60qt because you can always fill in with ice packs and water bottles to add thermal mass. Better to have too much than too little.
This is the rabbit hole! I might as well go up to the dual zone 75 Dometic CFX3 75DZ Electric Powered Cooler: Never Use Ice Again

Rbuste

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Braunfels, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Bustamante
Member #

Wow, I just looked at fridge prices and I don't understand what happened to the pricing on the ARB and Dometic fridges. I payed 549.99 for my CFX35 in 2017, which is basically Dometic's ARB equivalent. Now that one or the newer CFX3 version is listed at 900+ dollars. Holy cow.
I just bought a CFX3-35 from REI for $720. If you are an REI member just catch 1 of the 20% of 1 item sales. It is working great but the cooling fan on the compressor squeaks a bit. I had heard they were super quiet.