What should I do first?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Auburn
Hello Everybody,

I'm new to overlanding and I not sure what to do first. I just bought a 2015 Tacoma Trd Offroad last week and can't wait to get out in the mountains with it! It has a 3" revtek lift with 265/70R16 Hurcules Terra Trac tires. I've read some bad things about these tires, so I will change those out when they wear out a bit.

I'm on a tight budget, so I'm wondering way to do first. Should I get sliders, recovery gear like a shackle hitch with a strap, bumpers and a hi lift, compressor, etc. I already have a first aid kit, trauma kit and Delorme Inreach GPS. I plan on making a drawer system at some point in the next couple months for storage. I plan on using it as my hunting rig to get way back in the woods and also a family "overlanding" camping rig. What should do first?

Thanks,
Derek

Attachments

Reactions: HEYElliott

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

How many miles are on it?

Change the oil.
Change the air filter.
Consider changing the spark plugs (mileage dependant).

I personally would get a recovery strap (no need for a shackle hitch, waste of money. Just use the hitch pin, that’s what the shackle hitch will use to stay in place...), and an air compressor so you can air down and back up.

Those two aftermarket items should cost you about $100-$110 if you play your coupons right at 4wheelparts.

The third thing i would get is some mapping software on a large screen tablet/ipad.

James

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I just purchased my 2018 Tacoma and have done 3 trips so far, longest being 150 miles off road. I put Gaia on my iPad for nav, I went with a portable co2 tank to air up with, Toyo AT2 with E load (10 ply), and a roof top tent. I just went up to my local national forest and got highsided in snow and was so grateful I had a shovel with me. Easy recovery gear item, but after that I’m in the market for traction items like Treds and a winch. Southern Style Offroad makes some awesome ones for 2nd and 3rd gen Tacomas that blend more of a stock bumper look if that’s your thing. My order is going to be X-Bull treds, winch bumper, sliders, and in there somewhere making drawers

Story of my snow debacle—
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/stanislaus-national-forest-trip-to-cherry-lake-ca.14289/

Reactions: Norcalbowhunter

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Oh yah, forgot shovel. I bought a $10 mini shovel at my loca D&B farm store.

I would also recommend XBull traction mata on Amazon. $80/pair. Get two pair.

James

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Sliders and skid plates. If you come down on a rock and punch a hole in your radiator, oil pan or transmission pan you will be stuck. Sliders will save your rocker panels.

Reactions: GeoYota

Enthusiast I

Auburn
Hi James,

Its got 57k. I've got the carfax with all the services they've done. It looks like it's been take in care of, but I will definitely change the fluids and filter. Thanks for the tip about the hitch too! So when you hit the dirt roads do you generally air down for a better ride and then air up when you hit the pavement or do you generally air down only when you need extra traction?

Thanks,
Derek

How many miles are on it?

Change the oil.
Change the air filter.
Consider changing the spark plugs (mileage dependant).

I personally would get a recovery strap (no need for a shackle hitch, waste of money. Just use the hitch pin, that’s what the shackle hitch will use to stay in place...), and an air compressor so you can air down and back up.

Those two aftermarket items should cost you about $100-$110 if you play your coupons right at 4wheelparts.

The third thing i would get is some mapping software on a large screen tablet/ipad.

James

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I air down at the dirt trailhead, unless I have new people with me and the trails are light (sometimes airing down freaks out the new people... like you are about to get serious)...

The ride is WAY better, as is the traction.

I personally air down to 25psi, but I have a Ford Expedition (heavyweight). You should be able to get away with less.

James

Enthusiast I

Auburn
Cool adventure story! I used to camp and boat at Cherry Lake when I as a kid. Love that place! I'll check out the Gaia program. What rrt did you get? I've been looking into getting one ☺

I just purchased my 2018 Tacoma and have done 3 trips so far, longest being 150 miles off road. I put Gaia on my iPad for nav, I went with a portable co2 tank to air up with, Toyo AT2 with E load (10 ply), and a roof top tent. I just went up to my local national forest and got highsided in snow and was so grateful I had a shovel with me. Easy recovery gear item, but after that I’m in the market for traction items like Treds and a winch. Southern Style Offroad makes some awesome ones for 2nd and 3rd gen Tacomas that blend more of a stock bumper look if that’s your thing. My order is going to be X-Bull treds, winch bumper, sliders, and in there somewhere making drawers

Story of my snow debacle—
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/stanislaus-national-forest-trip-to-cherry-lake-ca.14289/

Enthusiast I

Auburn
What compressor are you using?

I air down at the dirt trailhead, unless I have new people with me and the trails are light (sometimes airing down freaks out the new people... like you are about to get serious)...

The ride is WAY better, as is the traction.

I personally air down to 25psi, but I have a Ford Expedition (heavyweight). You should be able to get away with less.

James

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I got a Yakima RTT from a REI garage sale for $300! I was planning on a different one but couldn’t pass up that deal! I have a diamondback cover and Voodoo racks make brackets that go around covers for RTT racks or bed rails. I love RTT’s as it’s made me like camping more. Cleaner up and out of the dirt and it feels safer from animals on the ground. I always felt a little vulnerable. Easy to camp anywhere, at Cherry Lake I used 2 rocks and leveled out.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I bought a Smittybilt compressor from 4wheelparts, on sale for $75 (new). It wasn't working properly when I first got it, so I took the hose assembly apart and found the hole covered with Teflon tape... After correcting that it works great. It takes my 295 series tires 1 minute 50 seconds each to go from 25psi back to 40psi.

Used roof top tents are the way to go. We have a CVT and a Tepui, totalling less than $800 for both of them, because we shopped around on Craigslist.

James

Chris Owens

Rank II

Advocate II

Vermont
Member #

I would start with recovery gear. If you don’t have a winch a hi lift jack and some straps will get you out. As mentioned above Amazon has inexpensive maxtrax knockoffs. A shovel is also cheap insurance.

All of the cool gear in the world won’t seem cool when it’s stuck on the trail.

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Sliders first, without question. Best insurance you can bolt/weld to your rig. Call Midwest Expedition Outfitters in Tulsa, OK. They build awesome sliders for your rig.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I’m personally not a big fan of the hi lift jack... read way to many horrow stories about them. I think i’d be down for a bottle jack and some wood blocks... that or a winch... that or just take along another vehicle for recovery :)

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
When you go for the compressor, I suggest getting one with a reservoir. Without, you can forget blowing dust out of air filters or out of the dash. I bought a portable ViaAir before I knew what I was doing. It’s great at pumping up tires. But that’s it. After a dusty day on the trail, before I snorkled my LC, I had to ask others to use their air to blow out the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I’m personally not a big fan of the hi lift jack... read way to many horrow stories about them. I think i’d be down for a bottle jack and some wood blocks... that or a winch... that or just take along another vehicle for recovery :)

High lift jack is cool as you can use it for a few things. A very slow winch if you have the right gear. And I've heard of the handle being used to sleeve a bent tie rod. I used to carry one in my Jeep and used the handle as a bigass breaker bar a few times, haha.

To use it as a jack though, you need either sliders or steel bumpers. I laugh when I see hi lifts mounted on vehicles with none of those things.

Mine fit under my rear seat of my Grand Cherokee, I didn't exterior mount it to look cool. Those things are hard enough to use w/out being all rusty.

Only time I actually used it was to free myself from some mud. I sunk it to the floorpan, and my Dad's Ram and my buddy's Taco couldn't budge me. We found some planks in the woods, and after digging a bit we were able to lift the Jeep one side at a time with the Hi-Lift sitting on a plank and lifting on the rock sliders. Once we got the tires up out of the mud, we jammed the planks under them. After doing both sides, I just drove the thing right out, leaving a perfect imprint of the undercarriage in the mud, haha.

Not going to lie though, it was scary to use. Between the Jeep teetering on it, and then releasing the handle to lower it, we all stood as far back as possible. Also, I opened the door where the hi lift was, as to avoid denting the door if it happened to pivot inward. I learned that tip on a local club's forum.

I don't plan on carrying one again unless I get a vehicle and install sliders. I remember awhile back ARB had a lift airbag, I'd look into that over a hi-lift.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Sliders first, without question. Best insurance you can bolt/weld to your rig. Call Midwest Expedition Outfitters in Tulsa, OK. They build awesome sliders for your rig.
Sliders are worth it for the peace of mind alone. I remember when I first put sliders on my old ZJ, I felt invincible in the rocks, haha. Pre-sliders I was always nervous as heck.

GeoYota

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Escondido, CA
Member #

Hello Everybody,

I'm new to overlanding and I not sure what to do first. I just bought a 2015 Tacoma Trd Offroad last week and can't wait to get out in the mountains with it! It has a 3" revtek lift with 265/70R16 Hurcules Terra Trac tires. I've read some bad things about these tires, so I will change those out when they wear out a bit.

I'm on a tight budget, so I'm wondering way to do first. Should I get sliders, recovery gear like a shackle hitch with a strap, bumpers and a hi lift, compressor, etc. I already have a first aid kit, trauma kit and Delorme Inreach GPS. I plan on making a drawer system at some point in the next couple months for storage. I plan on using it as my hunting rig to get way back in the woods and also a family "overlanding" camping rig. What should do first?

Thanks,
Derek
Congrats and welcome to the Tacoma family...great vehicle choice!

Lots of good info from other OB members here...a couple more ideas to consider:

-tire deflators. Stauns are bulletproof, and a real set and forget piece of hardware to add to your kit. There are others made by ARB, Smittybilt, etc., but IMHO, Stauns are the gold (or brass?) standard.

Staun Deflators

-as mentioned already, skids and sliders. But before that, replace the tires you want to use to carry you to those remote back spaces. Peace of mind when it comes to tires is that thing you don't think about until your changing a flat tire...in the rain. Note here...make sure to maintain your spare tire as well, and budget permitting, get a matching size to your regular run tire set. That way, everybody plays nicely when you have to rely on the spare to carry you out of Death Valley.

-consider an ARB tire repair kit...this can also save you some remote aggravation and saves the spare for a sidewall cut.

ARB Speedy Repair

-carry a "hands free" headlamp in your tool kit. This makes under hood/under carriage/late night anythings a more...illuminating experience. Pack an extra set of batteries as well, most headlamps take AAA's.

Black Diamond Headlamp

-discover which wrench sizes your Yota uses most (21mm, 19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm, 10mm), and set up your soft sided tool kit accordingly with some quality hand tools. If you have aftermarket wheels that require a special key...add an extra one of those to your mobile tool kit.

Good luck, you have a great head start with the OB community here. :sunglasses:

Enthusiast I

Auburn
Congrats and welcome to the Tacoma family...great vehicle choice!

Lots of good info from other OB members here...a couple more ideas to consider:

-tire deflators. Stauns are bulletproof, and a real set and forget piece of hardware to add to your kit. There are others made by ARB, Smittybilt, etc., but IMHO, Stauns are the gold (or brass?) standard.

Staun Deflators

-as mentioned already, skids and sliders. But before that, replace the tires you want to use to carry you to those remote back spaces. Peace of mind when it comes to tires is that thing you don't think about until your changing a flat tire...in the rain. Note here...make sure to maintain your spare tire as well, and budget permitting, get a matching size to your regular run tire set. That way, everybody plays nicely when you have to rely on the spare to carry you out of Death Valley.

-consider an ARB tire repair kit...this can also save you some remote aggravation and saves the spare for a sidewall cut.

ARB Speedy Repair

-carry a "hands free" headlamp in your tool kit. This makes under hood/under carriage/late night anythings a more...illuminating experience. Pack an extra set of batteries as well, most headlamps take AAA's.

Black Diamond Headlamp

-discover which wrench sizes your Yota uses most (21mm, 19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm, 10mm), and set up your soft sided tool kit accordingly with some quality hand tools. If you have aftermarket wheels that require a special key...add an extra one of those to your mobile tool kit.

Good luck, you have a great head start with the OB community here. :sunglasses:
Thanks for the great info Geoyota! I'm going to look into everything you mentioned. I think this is what I'm going to do in the next couple months - compressor, tire deflaters, recovery strap, shovel, and tool kit. I'm also going to made a drawer system for camping with a temporary tonneau cover for added security. I'll make the tonneau cover out of 5' x 5' Baltic Birch. I would also like to get a locking tailgate latch too. Next winter I'll make a custom camper out of aluminum that I can actually sleep in. I would also like to replace the tires, but my wife won't let me do that until the current ones we're down :( At some point I would also like to get sliders, bumpers and a high lift... but as I write this via text talk my wife is glaring at me from across the couch so it might be awhile

Is there any essential gear on missing?