What qualifies as overlanding "vehicle"?

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

I know the popular definition of Overlanding as: vehicle based long distance travel with the journey is the goal not the destination. However how do we define a vehicle? I know there are some motorcycle overlanders on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
that's simple to answer:

if a material object is used to move people and their crap over land, then it is at that moment in time, an "overlanding vehicle".

its like asking to define "weapon". if a coffee pot is being used to decant coffee, it is a kitchen appliance. if someone picks up the coffee pot and cracks someone in the head with it, it is then a weapon. the object in question is not defined by its design so much as it is defined by how it is being used during the time it is being observed.

Last edited:
U

UgotWheelz

that's simple to answer:

if a material object is used to move people and their crap over land, then it is at the moment in time, an "overlanding vehicle".

its like asking to define "weapon". if a coffee pot is being used to decant coffee, it is a kitchen appliance. if someone picks up the coffee pot and cracks someone in the head with it, it is then a weapon. the object in question is not defined by its design so much as it is defined by how it is being used during the time it is being observed.
Agreed! But would it be supported by this community?? Examples are electrified or electric hybrid, traditional or alternate vehicles of all sizes and classes.

Reactions: Dirt Road Cowboy

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Agreed! But would it be supported by this community?? Examples are electrified or human/electric hybrid, traditional or alternate vehicles of all sizes and classes.
I don't think there is any kind of consensus about how to define "vehicle", and attempting to form one would probably go down the same road as trying to define "overland".

U

UgotWheelz

Noted there will be none of the above on my YouTube :). I do have about 200 hours of content of me driving down gravel and dirt roads slowly in my RS that I haven't edited or posted to my channel yet.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I see what you're asking but in going with the spirit of this community I don't think it matters. All that matters is that you are getting out there and exploring. The means of transport is fully secondary to the idea of using said vehicle to cover more ground in less time and in greater comfort.
I would broaden the definition of overlanding as using mechanical means for travel to experience something outside of your normal.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
What qualifies as overlanding "vehicle"?
Whatever you happen to be using to explore, cover ground and haul your stuff. I don't think it matters if you use your feet, on horseback, use a bicycle, a motorcycle, something Jeep size, a full size pickup, a motorhome or haul trailer large or small, as long as your outside and exploring it's good.

I started "overloading" on horseback or my bicycle as a kid, moved on to a 3/4 ton truck, many, many Jeeps, trucks with and without campers or trailers. Now I'm happy to have my Willys and a home built trailer.

Agreed! But would it be supported by this community?? Examples are electrified or human/electric hybrid, traditional or alternate vehicles of all sizes and classes.
I understand your question but not why you would or wouldn't care if the people here support you. It's your choice, your life and as long as you're happy it's good.

If you really care or need support lead from the front and start it yourself.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
There are a few forums run by what I call "purest" groups. If you don't have this exact vehicle type, equipment....all they do is flame you. Screw them. As it stands, there are only three forums I will post in. What I like about this one is, everyone is just happy to be part of something and no one cares what you drive or how you outfit it.
I truly believe, if you came up with something that didn't fit one of the "normal" categories, one would be created.

Thanks to @grubworm idea, I'm going to design an AWD, electric, overlanding coffee pot.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I think grubworm described it perfectly.
Just as addition, if you are going by bike it's usually called "bikepacking" but I think it's more a personal thing and the question of how important it is for you to belong to a specific group or a group of open minded people sharing the same idea of more or less independent travel without really taking care about the vehicle used for traveling.

U

UgotWheelz

I think grubworm described it perfectly.
Just as addition, if you are going by bike it's usually called "bikepacking" but I think it's more a personal thing and the question of how important it is for you to belong to a specific group or a group of open minded people sharing the same idea of more or less independent travel without really taking care about the vehicle used for traveling.
Bikepacking TDR rider here. Been exploring on bicycles since 1976 when my uncle drug me across the country on first TransAm.

Reactions: MazeVX and 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Love it!

I miss the Champ I had.

Reactions: Av8or

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Cant define "vehicle" by the type of fuel it uses, either. Otherwise we would be having existential debates between those whe drive gass and those who drive diesel - oh, wait a minute...

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
This is what I've used as my "over" lander for the past few years... just now getting into land-based overlanding with my Ranger.
View attachment 174948
That´s great! I like that idea of travelling. For some time now I've been watching YouTube videos on the subject ... maybe that would be something for me to try out .

@grubworm I think that's very well described!

Reactions: grubworm and Av8or