Morgan Hill, California, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Alarcon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GLP
I'm now running 255/75/17 BG KO2s C-Load rated tires on the Tacoma.
On the HWY I'm usually 36psi Front and 34psi Rear.
On fire roads, I typically drop down to 22~24psi. If it gets rougher or I need more traction due to loose gravel or sand, or if it's crawling over rocks, then I'm down to 20~22psi. I have gone down to 18psi but only if needed. I find going over mix terrains I'm good with 22~24psi.

At the sand dunes I dropped down to 16psi with no issues.

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Regarding the Wildpeaks, I'm starting to see a little chunking and lots of thin slices in the tread. I'm not sure how many miles I have on them but likely under 10k and they see a lot of trail abuse. These small slices will most likely lead to chunking. That makes me suspect I'll have to swap them out long before the tread wears down normally.

I wound up going with the P rated AT3W and like what I see so far. Can't wait till we get snow up in our local mountains, that's where tthese tires will really shine I think.

Reactions: JCWages

gothnate

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Franklin, NC, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Crawford
Member #

I have
LT285/70R17 - 121/118R E RWL BFG KO2s. The specs on my tires say 80 psi maximum for on road, what should I run aired down on a trail?

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro

36PSI on road, 18PSI off. Really stiff sidewall on these, though. Hardly any 'pooch' at all - haven't tempted fate by going any lower, but 18PSI seems OK so far.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I have
LT285/70R17 - 121/118R E RWL BFG KO2s. The specs on my tires say 80 psi maximum for on road, what should I run aired down on a trail?
On a T4R most people run 35 to 40spi on the street and 15 to 20psi offroad depending on conditions and the weight of their build. You do not want to run anywhere close to 80psi. Ever!

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I wound up going with the P rated AT3W and like what I see so far. Can't wait till we get snow up in our local mountains, that's where tthese tires will really shine I think.
I think you'll like them. Obviously there are some snow conditions where nothing short of a studded tire will provide traction but in most cases they work quite well. I still recommend running in 4wd when you can't see pavement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 702FJC

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

These are 10-ply tires, not the normal 6-ply.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 285/70R17
I know. :) I have friends who run them and I lurk the T4R and TacomaWorld forums. I also run 10ply tires in that size as well and my truck is probably heavier than your T4R. Anything above 40psi starts to ride rough and by 50psi it feels like the truck is falling apart.

If in doubt do the chalk test.

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
I run my 35's at 15-20 PSI on the trail. Usually 30-35 on road.

gothnate

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Franklin, NC, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Crawford
Member #

I know. :) I have friends who run them and I lurk the T4R and TacomaWorld forums. I also run 10ply tires in that size as well and my truck is probably heavier than your T4R. Anything above 40psi starts to ride rough and by 50psi it feels like the truck is falling apart.

If in doubt do the chalk test.
So, you're saying 40 psi on the trail is good for these?

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
35 psi in a P rated tire can handle more weight then 35 psi in a load E tire. So you have to put more air in the load e for the same load.

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Here in Australia the terrain differs from state to state, region to region etc so there is no one specific (or correct) tyre pressure to run - basically you need to determine that at the time and make the necessary adjustments.

I run Coopers ST Maxx 265/75 R16 ATs and my go to pressures to start with are:

1. Firm beach sand - 15 PSI;

2. Soft beach sand - 10 PSI;

3. Dry gravel / hard dirt road - 25 PSI

4. Wet gravel / dirt road - 20 PSI

5. Dry red dirt (outback country) - 25 PSI

6. Wet red dirt (outback country) - park and wait until its dry :grinning:; and

7. Mud - 18 PSI

But as I said, these are just a starting guide and I will adjust accordingly depending on my load or whether I am towing etc.

Karl

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Mind........blown!

For stock fj tire
32 psi. 2414 lbs

For LT tire
35 psi 1890 lb
50 psi 2470 lb
80 psi 3195 lb

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

For stock fj tire
32 psi. 2414 lbs

For LT tire
35 psi 1890 lb
50 psi 2470 lb
80 psi 3195 lb
Practically speaking most people that change to an LT tire also upsize so air volume increases and you are also no longer subject to the 10% reduction in load capacity as when using a P-metric (SL) tire on a light truck or SUV. So yes, SL tires require less pressure to carry a similar load than an equivilent tire in LT build but that doesn't automatically mean you have to run 80psi in your LT tire. When crunching the numbers I only need to run approx. 40psi in my LT285s to match my OEM tire load capacity. In practice the LT285 at 40psi feels WAY more stable with less sidewall flex than the OEM tire at 35psi with the same load. The chalk test will show that 40psi is a little overinflated for my truck, however.

Euro-metric and P-metric tire sizes were originally designed for cars and station wagons; however, they have also been used for light truck applications because most vans, pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs are used to carry passengers, not cargo. Additionally, most of the new light trucks being produced today are equipped with Euro- or P-metric sized tires because they offer lighter weight, lower rolling resistance and less aggressive tread designs (which makes them better riding, more fuel efficient and less noisy) than typical heavy-duty tires.

However, there is an idiosyncrasy governing the use of Euro-metric and P-metric sized tires on vans, pickup trucks, crossovers and SUVs because these vehicles have a higher center of gravity and greater probability of being overloaded than passenger cars. In order to accommodate this, vehicle engineers are required to specify Euro- or P-metric sized tires rated to carry 10% more weight than would be required if they were used on a passenger car. This is the equivalent of taking the tire's load capacity branded on its sidewall and dividing it by 1.1. For example, a Euro- or P-metric tire designated to carry 2,000 pounds on a car is restricted to carrying 1,818 pounds when used on a van, pickup truck, crossover and SUV. This size selection practice provides the vehicle manufacturer with the appropriate tire load capacity.

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Practically speaking most people that change to an LT tire also upsize so air volume increases and you are also no longer subject to the 10% reduction in load capacity as when using a P-metric (SL) tire on a light truck or SUV. So yes, SL tires require less pressure to carry a similar load than an equivilent tire in LT build but that doesn't automatically mean you have to run 80psi in your LT tire. When crunching the numbers I only need to run approx. 40psi in my LT285s to match my OEM tire load capacity. In practice the LT285 at 40psi feels WAY more stable with less sidewall flex than the OEM tire at 35psi with the same load. The chalk test will show that 40psi is a little overinflated for my truck, however.

I'd be afraid I'd bounce off the highway if I put 80 PSI