Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
I run 37-40 day to day and down to 17 when hitting anything from rub-boards to 4x4 terrain. Also take the Tiger Moth down to 17. I use the Billet 4x4 Trailhead Deflators, set to 17 cold... which seems to put the tires somewhere around 17-20 hot. There are several formulas out there for tire size to air down pressure. When in the Arabian Gulf we would run our Patrols and Highlanders down to 8 in long stretches of sand and dunes. The locals would run down to 5 on cross-over tires, down to 2-3 on desert sand tires.

Jeep jeeep

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, Arizona, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
S
On my JKU with 35's non-beadlock wheels, 18psi when we hit the dirt with no problems makes for a more enjoyable ride. I also suggest that you footprint your tires for on highway pressure with a normal load for you. Find a area that straight and flat, air up to about 50 psi and and using sidewalk chalk make a strip across the tread that 3 or 4"'s wide then pull forward and back until the strip starts to wear in the center of the tread. drop a few pounds of air and repeat until the chalk is worn off edge to edge. That should be a good set point for daily driving giving you max contact with the road and even wear on your tires.

Reactions: grubworm

Lumbjack_MC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

Prineville, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Countryman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7FTC
I run 36psi on pavement and 20-25psi off road. usually 25psi because I'm lazy and don't want to air back up as far...

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I usually ran 12-15 psi when crawlin trails in my jeep w/o beadlocks. Havent been on anything that really required airing down just yet with my tacoma though

AL.WVSN

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Mofo
Member #

I always need to adjust all the time. I've been to plenty of beaches and sand. Usually run 20-15psi but last weekend, I made a turn to a beach which looks like no one has been on it and it was soft, I mean super soft. I actually got stuck for a bit, cleared the sand and drop my psi to 9 and was able to get it but it was a bit tough on the truck. On dirts, I run 20-25 all the time and so far, it's been good. This is on a KO2's with a bead lock rims.

andrewksu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dickson
Member #

Is there a reason you run so high? Same for @Dualsportrider Those high pressures will make the ride very rough and wear out the middle of the tire prematurely. Max pressure on tires is not the right metric, look on the sticker inside of the driver door jamb. Larger tires might even require lower pressure on street. Here's a good thread on the subject. How to calculate street pressure for larger tires.

It depends on what im driving on.
33" e rated to 80psi mud tires on 17"rims:
Highway driving/ normal 60 psi
NF roads between 60 and 55 psi
Mud between 60 and 45 psi
Rocks between 50 and 35psi
Sand 30 psi to as low as 20
Ive left them at 60 and have had problem on any of these terrains just a rougher ride.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Depends on the rig, and tire... the door jam in my Ram says 65 psI while the sticker in my bronco says 45 psi. Semi trucks run 120 psi on the steers and 100 on drivers
Is there a reason you run so high? Same for @Dualsportrider Those high pressures will make the ride very rough and wear out the middle of the tire prematurely. Max pressure on tires is not the right metric, look on the sticker inside of the driver door jamb. Larger tires might even require lower pressure on street. Here's a good thread on the subject. How to calculate street pressure for larger tires.

andrewksu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dickson
Member #

Yeah, but both FJ's and Canyon's (previous posters) are lightweight and probably require 30-35psi for road. I only mention because I have heard recommendations based on tire max psi specs and seen people running crazy high pressures because of that.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Your definition of high varies from rig to rig and tire to tire on the highway a higher pressure equates to better gas mileage due to reduced resistance or friction. Offroad its totally different, if i were to go by my door jamb sticker id be way off since im 2 tire sizes larger than stock and the tires are e rated all the way up to 80 psi max unlike p rated 45psi so in the grand scheme of things the pressures i listed that i run are rather low. Also i have mud tires so no real need to air down much unless i start to get stuck. 20psi for me is like 5 psi for you

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
On my XJ I'll air down to 20psi if I know I'm going to be offpavement for most of the day. Probably unhook the swaybar as well. Really helps smooth out the ride off pavement.

andrewksu

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Dickson
Member #

Cool, I was just wondering as that is much higher than I've ever run. I have 31x10.5 R 15 and run about 30 for road and 15 for slower speed offroad. Never lost a bead and it stays pretty grippy with that extra sidewall flex.

Your definition of high varies from rig to rig and tire to tire on the highway a higher pressure equates to better gas mileage due to reduced resistance or friction. Offroad its totally different, if i were to go by my door jamb sticker id be way off since im 2 tire sizes larger than stock and the tires are e rated all the way up to 80 psi max unlike p rated 45psi so in the grand scheme of things the pressures i listed that i run are rather low. Also i have mud tires so no real need to air down much unless i start to get stuck. 20psi for me is like 5 psi for you

Dualsportrider

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Rizzo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I have ten ply 80psi max tires. My Brother's tail team fj came with ten plies and the door sticker said 45psi. I get the best ride on the highway at 48psi and also good even tread wear. When I ran lower around 40 I was seeing wear on the outside of my tires. Same thing when I ran nitto ten ply. At 48 psi the tred wear was perfect. If I was going to be more then a day on nothing but dirt roads ldl air down. But the dirt roads here are not long and your constantly on pavement. Even up in the Ouachita and Ozarks. Where I often ride.

Also ten ply have stiff side walls and I heard running 35psi on highway can make them heat up. Not sure how true that is.

I'm using 275 70 17 bfg ko2. I like them but may go back to nitto again.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

LT285/70/17E on 5200lb-5600lb Canyon

33 to 38psi on street

12-17psi on the trail. 15psi is my go to pressure lately.

15psi with a nice footprint

15psi on an off camber rock. No bead issues

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
LT285/70/17E on 5200lb-5600lb Canyon

33 to 38psi on street

12-17psi on the trail. 15psi is my go to pressure lately.

15psi with a nice footprint

15psi on an off camber rock. No bead issues
Those wildpeaks are on my short list right now. What was your deciding factor for LT over the P versions of the AT3W? Did you find a noticeable drop in performance/MPG with the heavier rubber?

Thanks, nice rig!

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Those wildpeaks are on my short list right now. What was your deciding factor for LT over the P versions of the AT3W? Did you find a noticeable drop in performance/MPG with the heavier rubber?

Thanks, nice rig!
Thanks!

I had the P before swapping to the LT. The Ps had better wet traction but less offroad traction due to shallower tread. I wanted the LTs for the extra tread depth and tougher carcass. I still managed to puncture one through the sidewall with a stick.

I really like the tires but for my needs I won't purchase them again. I need something with a little more bite and a true 3ply sidewall so the Milestone Patagonia, Kenda Klever R/T and Geolandar MT G003 are on my short list. I also noticed a little tread chunking going on but to be fair I beat the hell out of these tires. LOL

Reactions: 702FJC

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Thanks!

I had the P before swapping to the LT. The Ps had better wet traction but less offroad traction due to shallower tread. I wanted the LTs for the extra tread depth and tougher carcass. I still managed to puncture one through the sidewall with a stick.

I really like the tires but for my needs I won't purchase them again. I need something with a little more bite and a true 3ply sidewall so the Milestone Patagonia, Kenda Klever R/T and Geolandar MT G003 are on my short list. I also noticed a little tread chunking going on but to be fair I beat the hell out of these tires. LOL

I actually have a set of Patagonias coming into my local discount to check out. Only reason I'm still thinking is at 60 pounds a tire that's a lot of rotational mass but hey, the durability and tread depth is hard to beat for the money.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I always run about 18-20 PSI, never had any issues with beads rolling. I don't think you typically have to worry until you get to the 10 and below range.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I actually have a set of Patagonias coming into my local discount to check out. Only reason I'm still thinking is at 60 pounds a tire that's a lot of rotational mass but hey, the durability and tread depth is hard to beat for the money.
Agreed! The 3ply sidewall is awesome. Have you seen how hard Lite Brite beats on those tires? My Wildpeaks are 59lbs so a couple extra pounds for durability isn't going to hurt much. :sunglasses:

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Agreed! The 3ply sidewall is awesome. Have you seen how hard Lite Brite beats on those tires? My Wildpeaks are 59lbs so a couple extra pounds for durability isn't going to hurt much. :sunglasses:
Yes those videos were actually a huge selling point for me to even consider a no-nane tire. Which I know their parent company Tireco has been around for a while but still......I've always been the type to only stick with mainstream tires in the past.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Yes those videos were actually a huge selling point for me to even consider a no-nane tire. Which I know their parent company Tireco has been around for a while but still......I've always been the type to only stick with mainstream tires in the past.
Regarding the Wildpeaks, I'm starting to see a little chunking and lots of thin slices in the tread. I'm not sure how many miles I have on them but likely under 10k and they see a lot of trail abuse. These small slices will most likely lead to chunking. That makes me suspect I'll have to swap them out long before the tread wears down normally.