Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
We've all been there.. We got that one cool gadget or attempted the latest and greatest mod that just didn't meet our expectations or work out as we planned. Over the years I've been subject to a good bit of that, mostly tied to my youth (at least I'll pretend that was the reason :smile:).

I think my biggest misstep, at least with my Jeep, was removing and disposing of the AC unit. I will say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it was due to my youth and thinking, who needs AC when you can remove the top? I mean, the parasitic loss was killing me right? Um, no. Live and learn :smile:

I've also gone through crap lights just to have them, miscellaneous different electronics that weren't necessary or simply didn't do their job. Let's remove the backseat and eliminate all the storage space and install a pair of 15" subs in a sealed box. That'll make the rig more overland friendly, right?:smirk:

I will say, most of the tools I've bought over the years served a purpose, and I have very few regrets there. Probably the biggest misstep was buying a collapsible lug wrench. It didn't actually work with my tire/rim offset. To add insult to injury, the thing just wouldn't stay together when I tried to use it on my wife's car. I ended up giving it away to a guy who said he liked it. :laughing: In my opinion, they aren't a good tool to have.

So, what about you? Anything you wholeheartedly recommend against? This really is a selfish post as I'm going through the rebuild / re-outfit, and I'd like to be aware of the latest and greatest stuff to stay away from :tonguewink:

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

Roof racks. I have tried to cheap out twice with low price roof racks. The first rather self destructed, with the help of my girlfriend who doesn't understand clearance under tree limbs. The second is probably 5 inches narrower than the first, and won't hold much more than my spare. They always look good on Amazon, but in person, not so much.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
Trading a paid off jeep in as a down payment for a car I had to finance. I kick myself in the head over that one everyday
I'm totally with you on this one. I traded a paid off, and what I thought was awesome, suburban because I needed more luxury in my life. Yeah, right :smile:

Roof racks. I have tried to cheap out twice with low price roof racks. The first rather self destructed, with the help of my girlfriend who doesn't understand clearance under tree limbs. The second is probably 5 inches narrower than the first, and won't hold much more than my spare. They always look good on Amazon, but in person, not so much.
That's absolutely great advice, and I'd heard it before. As I understand it, it's a case of you get what you pay for. I've debated a few times whether or not to add one to my Jeep, but it's already top heavy so I'm not too keen on it. I guess it could be like tattoo's...good ones aren't cheap and cheap ones probably won't be good. :smile:

Reactions: robrtsmtn and brien