Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

So I bought a new truck, I know, EXCTING!
It's a 2019 silverado trailboss, my plan is to put in a airlift airbags system because I have a slide in camper, but what else should I put in next? I was looking into a winch bumper, but I don't know.

Attachments

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'm with Zim 100%. I always tell people to just use their rig and as you find shortcomings fix them.
Quick note on the air bags, thats a good first mod. When I finally put air bags in my 93 Dodge I hated myself for not doing it sooner. It will make your pickup so much more stable with that camper. Just be aware that in off road situations it is possible to overload the air bags on the compression side and pull them apart on the extension side if you get way articulated. So make sure your bump stops are tall enough to give the bags a bit of breathing room on full compression and install some limiting straps so the air bags are never what dictates droop distance.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
On my 2021 Silverado with a 4-Wheel Camper on it I went and got the rear leaf springs reworked. They took out the overload spring and replaced it with 3 new leafs. I went from having to go real slow over bumps to being able to go faster over them without feeling like I bottom it out. And I don't want to be in the backcountry and blow an air bag with a mistake. I love the way it drives now, solid and planted. I also went with Bilstein 5100 shocks all around and the front shocks can be adjusted to level the front end. And my camper on level ground is perfectly level.

I agree with he others, I've off-roaded since the '70's, get out and drive it as you would and see what you are lacking and fix as you go. Carry recovery gear and tools. I've usually found under armor and better tires are the first on my list of to dos. My next items to add are lights, GMSR radio (I have 2 handhelds), shovel-axe bracket from Mule for the camper, Plate on camper for my Hi-Lift and Traction Boards and finally a larger gas tank to replace the stock fuel tank that adds another 19 gallons to it's range (I do have the 3.0 turbo diesel in mine so should have close to a 700-800 mile range).

This is scheduled to be driven on a 7,500 mile, 31 day trip to Alaska this July and August.

tIMG_3678.JPG

My last vehicle was a Subaru Outback I took to Inukik-Tuktoyuktuk and the Arctic Ocean in 2019 up the Dempster Highway.

IMG_1909.JPG
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_617.jpg

Last edited:

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
What do you plan to do with it?

If remote travel (a long way between refuel stops) then additional fuel capacity is useful. If you plan to be in hot climates (over 35 C most of the time) then an awning is useful. I could go on, however you need to figure out what you plan to do and what is essential to do it. As a starting point, as others note, just get out there!

Reactions: Mathes

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
If you drive on sand, sooner or later you are going to want a shovel, and traction boards or mats. Take your pick, any kind will do - even if you never use them yourself, you can be the guy who saves the day when some cute chick thinks her Jeep knows how to drive itself on sand.

You'll never be sorry you have them. Trust me.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I like those Trail Boss trucks. What any truck should be at minimum in my book. Nice choice! Have a lot of fun with it. Are you out on The Cape in that pic?

What's next? I am guessing a 2500 series Silverado. Those old hard sided slide in campers are heavy enough you are probably very close to gvw in a truck Add your gear and clothes and water, and you could be at or well beyond the weight limit. I'm not saying that as any sort of regulatory body or to be a wet blanket, but to point out it'll make the truck very heavy in the sand, sag in the rear, tougher to handle and wear out parts sooner. The 1500 will struggle with that load whereas the 2500 will haul that camper around all day, every day and ask "please, sir, may I have another?" And it would just about carry the weight of two of those

@Terry Pickens mentions reworked rear leafs. I'm thinking you might go that route with stronger springs and make your half-ton into a modern "heavy half" and you might be OK.

CAN you carry it though? Probably. Check your truck documentation and door stickers. Some of them specifically state not to be used with slide ins.

Best of luck. Maybe I'll bump into you down The Cape

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

If that's a picture on a beach at Cape Cod National Seashore, they do inspections before giving you a sticker that allows you to be out there. I dont see one on this truck but dont know if you've ever been out there in another vehicle, but they have a required equipment list that puts you well on your way, right down to a wood block base for your Jack.

So if you have that inspection and sticker, you are probably fairly well outfitted for what you seem to want to do

Reactions: Mathes

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I like those Trail Boss trucks. What any truck should be at minimum in my book. Nice choice! Have a lot of fun with it. Are you out on The Cape in that pic?

What's next? I am guessing a 2500 series Silverado. Those old hard sided slide in campers are heavy enough you are probably very close to gvw in a truck Add your gear and clothes and water, and you could be at or well beyond the weight limit. I'm not saying that as any sort of regulatory body or to be a wet blanket, but to point out it'll make the truck very heavy in the sand, sag in the rear, tougher to handle and wear out parts sooner. The 1500 will struggle with that load whereas the 2500 will haul that camper around all day, every day and ask "please, sir, may I have another?" And it would just about carry the weight of two of those

@Terry Pickens mentions reworked rear leafs. I'm thinking you might go that route with stronger springs and make your half-ton into a modern "heavy half" and you might be OK.

CAN you carry it though? Probably. Check your truck documentation and door stickers. Some of them specifically state not to be used with slide ins.

Best of luck. Maybe I'll bump into you down The Cape
It is a heavy girl, but she's a sunline so it's meant for a 1500. But I just got bags in so those will be installed soon.

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

If that's a picture on a beach at Cape Cod National Seashore, they do inspections before giving you a sticker that allows you to be out there. I dont see one on this truck but dont know if you've ever been out there in another vehicle, but they have a required equipment list that puts you well on your way, right down to a wood block base for your Jack.

So if you have that inspection and sticker, you are probably fairly well outfitted for what you seem to want to do
I'm out on sandy nexk Beach, so I've got all my stuff too board, jacks, shovel, measuring tape (they have some strange requirements on that list) but like I said, just got bags in, and an onboard compresser so that's my upcoming project. Also a auxbeam control panel for it all. So I've got my work cut out for me

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
So I bought a new truck, I know, EXCTING!
It's a 2019 silverado trailboss, my plan is to put in a airlift airbags system because I have a slide in camper, but what else should I put in next? I was looking into a winch bumper, but I don't know.
Go out in it and enjoy. If you come back after several trips away and think "I really need that" go out a few more times and if you still think the same put it on your list.