Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Personally I haven't run across anything that isn't available either new, the aftermarket, or readily available used. That's not to say it wont happen, just that it hasn't yet. Remember the US is no where near the main market for these vehicles, and they were sold for a longer period of time in several foreign markets. As things started to dry up at American Toyota, several folks started selling parts that were still readily available from South America and other markets.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I've always wanted an FJ80 again. My dad bought a new one in 1993, but after he died and the vehicle needed some expensive repairs, my mom decided she was never going to go off roading again. The Land Cruiser was traded for a more practical AWD wagon.

Since then she purchased a 4Runner, lifted it, and installed sliders. She's now going with me on some off road trails and enjoys driving it. In retrospect, it was a huge mistake to trade the FJ80 and I wish I could have it back today. They have just gotten so expensive that I doubt I will ever be able to own one. So many of the 80 series have been abused and broken before being dumped in the market.

Maybe some day I will find one that is in good condition, but I suspect that the value of the 80 series is only going to start climbing from here. I'm hoping that the US Military awards Toyota the contract for the 70-series military vehicle and that they start production here in the US. It would make sense for Toyota to maximize their profits by also selling a civilian version. At least then we would have a more affordable and basic Land Cruiser that could be purchased new.

BeyondthePines

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Saw a FZJ80 with TRD badging the other day... did Toyota produce them or did the owner just put them on themselves?

OverLandCruiser76

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Venezuela
Member #

I own and have owned several land cruisers, one of them is a 1983 Fj40, it is a 30 yrs old car, had to restore everything except the engine and drive train!!!!! Only God knows how many miles are on it, yet I checked the compression, and did not open the engine. While it is a low RPM and slow engine, it has amazing torque and can climb up almost any mountain or steep road. Definitely built for more than one lifetime.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

ravenplague

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Santa Cruz, CA
Member #

I own and have owned several land cruisers, one of them is a 1983 Fj40, it is a 30 yrs old car, had to restore everything except the engine and drive train!!!!! Only God knows how many miles are on it, yet I checked the compression, and did not open the engine. While it is a low RPM and slow engine, it has amazing torque and can climb up almost any mountain or steep road. Definitely built for more than one lifetime.
I have a 82 fj60 that i bought for 1200 bucks. It has rust but only had 150k miles which is nothing for these rigs. But like what overland cruiser said, its slow but dependable. I have been looking for awhile and roamed craigslists for months.. I found this while riding my bike to work . It looked like it had not been run for a while and left the guy a note. I had it towed home, but after a new battery, oil and gas change, it started right up. I rebuilt the hubs, new waterpump, fuel pump, belts, tune up etc et..but well worth it!IMG_20160620_094824.jpg

Chris Zawacki

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg, VA
Member #

I've always wanted an FJ80 again. My dad bought a new one in 1993, but after he died and the vehicle needed some expensive repairs, my mom decided she was never going to go off roading again. The Land Cruiser was traded for a more practical AWD wagon.

Since then she purchased a 4Runner, lifted it, and installed sliders. She's now going with me on some off road trails and enjoys driving it. In retrospect, it was a huge mistake to trade the FJ80 and I wish I could have it back today. They have just gotten so expensive that I doubt I will ever be able to own one. So many of the 80 series have been abused and broken before being dumped in the market.

Maybe some day I will find one that is in good condition, but I suspect that the value of the 80 series is only going to start climbing from here. I'm hoping that the US Military awards Toyota the contract for the 70-series military vehicle and that they start production here in the US. It would make sense for Toyota to maximize their profits by also selling a civilian version. At least then we would have a more affordable and basic Land Cruiser that could be purchased new.
Is this a possability or just wishful thinking?

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I know a company in Columbus, Ohio does the testing on the Hilux and Cruiser for armor. They are currently used for special forces so my guess is it's looking a bit up for us.