What kinda material for campfire and stove?

• HTML tutorial

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

I do have a new 12" lodge cast iron skillet and old lodge dutch oven (from our Boy Scouting days). I also have a small cheap titanium nested set that works ok, but could be a bit bigger. It's more of a single person backpacking size set. I typically do a campfire at night and just cook on that, then just pull out the camp chef stove in the morning. I don't always feel like dragging the cast iron out either. So I'd like to find a different setup.

Beyond the cast iron, are we talking Stainless, Titanium, Ceramic, Aluminum............and still being able to use them on both a campfire and a stove.

I see the GSI Stainless Camper Set, which I think is nice because it's got the built in strainer tops. Fry pan is only 9" which for just me is probably fine. Maybe a little larger would be good.

Thinking pan for cooking eggs, bacon, etc, etc, etc. Pot or two to boil water in for pasta, dishes, coffee/cocoa water, etc, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks as always!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Sounds to me like you have perfect set. I only take a 12” cast iron skillet, but looking to add a Dutch oven to the mix - been watching a lot of campfire baking shows. Lol

Plus one of the best desserts I’ve ever had around a campfire, was a berry cobbler made in a Dutch oven using the fire for heat.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

Sounds to me like you have perfect set. I only take a 12” cast iron skillet, but looking to add a Dutch oven to the mix - been watching a lot of campfire baking shows. Lol

Plus one of the best desserts I’ve ever had around a campfire, was a berry cobbler made in a Dutch oven using the fire for heat.
Use to love the peach cobblers we made in the dutch ovens when we were in the Boy Scouts. The dutch over has been sitting in a box in the basement for a couple decades. Need to get it out. Don't know how much I'd use it if it's just me camping.

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

Cast iron for us too. We bring the bean pot to hang on the tri-pod over the fire. The 10" skillet for some great breakfasts. The Dutch oven I just added to the collection, looking forward to some camp pizza in that one. The oven lid also fits the skillet so that just adds another level of possibilities for us. We also have a little 5" skillet that's fun for appitizers, snacks, dips and queso.

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Member #

We do have a little 2qt. aluminum pot to heat up cleanup water, or cook some pasta in. Also have a 9 cup SS percolator for the morning joe.
I have a small one in that "backpacking" set that is titanium which works great for me. I do need something like a collapsible bucket for washing in. I'll just find a pot somewhere that is bigger for these trips that involve a few more people.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I like cast iron but dont always like the weight. I was at Home Goods and saw this pan. The brand is Brandani and its a thinner cast iron with a stainless handle. Works great and is a LOT lighter. I saw Amazon also carries that brand. Its also made in Italy and NOT China. I see Amazon is out of their mind with the price....I paid around $15 at Home Goods. Its thin and highly polished and seasons like regular ole cast iron...

IMG_3802.JPG

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use a Farberware fry pan and a stainless nesting set, perk coffee pot. I cook on a Partner stove or open fire, I prefer the control of a stove over fire while cooking most time. When I cook on a open fire it's mostly grilling. I use cast iron at home but camping it's easier with the nonstick.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

This is a little off topic, but if cooking over a camp fire, with any stainless or aluminum, take a bar of Ivory soap, and rub it all over the outside of your pans. Helps with the cleanup after the camping trip big time. Open fire, I am of the cast iron school also. Camp stove, then anything goes! Vance.

Reactions: grubworm

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I personally don't like cast iron because in my experience, they take a lot of heat (and thus, fuel) to get started and are crazy heavy. If I'm only really fire cooking then it's another story but I'm typically cooking on a stove.

I have a stainless Magma 7 pc set I picked up when Amazon put it on sale for about $110 earlier this year. No issues cooking over a fire when I need to and its heavy bottom makes it excellent over a stove. The removable handles are well designed and the whole kit (handles included) nests into the larger pot while all being lighter than a single 10" Lodge skillet. They also make a 10 piece if you think you might be cooking for larger groups.

Only downside to stainless is the sticking but that's nothing butter and flame control doesn't fix. I cook on stainless 90% of the time at home so it's nothing new to me.

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Cast iron for cooking. Enameled percolator for heating water. Largest pot used to cook for washing dishes.

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

I go Cast iron too. a 12" and a smaller one for eggs. There's nothing better than Iron.
To Grill over a fire I use my Cowboy Kabobs since they're easy and light and clean fast. I make these things as a side business for fun. basically a stainless 42" long big ass skewer and you skewer whatever you want to cook and set it across the fire. way easier than hauling a grill. check it if interested:

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Essential for dishes. Except for the cast iron. Fill the dirty pan with water and heat up to boiling. Cleans out super easy everytime. Even burnt cheese and eggs.

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
first choice is cast iron
secondly would be stainless steel if weight was a problem
NEVER would be aluminium, for some reason I can taste that in the food/drink.