What justifies the expense for a rooftop tent?

• HTML tutorial

K6ORJ

Rank V

Enthusiast II

Sanger, CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Carpenter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6ORJ
What ever you decide to do getting out of a nylon tent into a canvas tent is life changing. At night you exhale a lot of water vapor and that becomes trapped inside of a nylon tent, but not with a canvas tent because they breathe. Seeping in the low 20's I have awoken with ice crystals all over the walls of the canvas RTT and still felt dry, I couldn't believe it at first. Then when the sun comes out and starts to warm things up it just evaporates, and you never really notice it at all. It's always a chore to get the moisture out of the inside of a nylon tent when you're on the go, canvas just evaporates. The interesting thing is the that underside of the nylon 'rain fly' is wet while the canvas is dry almost every morning, and it's on the outside of the tent.

TRUST ME WHEN I SAY RAIN IS WORSE THAN SNOW! Snow is cold, but you can keep things dry in the snow, rain water always comes up through the bottom of the tent! We would always cancel our plans if it looked like rain, now that is just part of being in the outdoors. I can remember one trip with the ground tent where we planned to camp between storms, rushing as the rain began to fall getting our bedding wet in the process while getting it back in the roof bag!

We do a lot of camping in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts, where you put large rocks on the tent stakes and inside of your tent so the wind doesn't blow it away. With a ground tent I got tired of waking up covered in sand, it's in everything including your mouth, nose and eye's, the eyes are definitely the worst. You have to put anything that you don't want to have sand inside in your sleeping bag or in another bag inside of the tent.

I searched around before buying my RTT and found Gordigear. The Gordigear RTT is only $1150.00 + Shipping in the US. They have been making them for more than 20 years and have been used in expeditions throughout Australia and Africa, so there not one of these Johnny come lately companies. They really only have one size 56"x94" which is nearly the dimensions of a Queen sized mattress 60"x80". If you can get your dog up the ladder it will fit inside of the tent with you. They make two models with or without the cover over the ladder, I opted for the one without, but internal dimensions are the same regardless. I probably would go with the cover over the ladder because if you get the annex it has a much larger footprint. Also if your in inclement weather where you can get to the potty without getting wet.

If in the wind You must face the ladder down wind. I tie the overhang or ladder side back to my rock sliders so it is easy to to move in case of the wind change that you know is coming after a storm passes in the desert. With all of these type of tents it is important to tie the over hang side to strengthen the hinge down preferably back to the vehicle to the vehicle. I tie the overhang or ladder side back to my rock sliders with a ratchet strap so it is easy to to move in case of the wind change that is coming after the storm passes.

Last edited:

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
For me it's all about comfort and access. I can camp over my vehicle wherever I am, which is efficient. And then there is comfort, I sleep like a baby, whilst when I'm ground camping I don't. I do lot's of hiking trips, that means camping in the middle for a mountain, it's beautiful but I sleep very badly. In my RTT I sleep like a rock. And finally, my girl. She would NEVER come camping when it was a regular camping/hiking trip. But with my car and my RTT, she not only agrees to come, she actually likes it. Now I get to go camping with her and a larger group of friends. We do these trips 2-3 times a year, and for me that's worth it. The quality time with her and friends.

archer75

Rank I

Contributor III

Oregon, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Thomas
Pros and cons to both. And in time I may own both just for more options. My plan is to get a shiftpod for a ground tent as they're really nice and quick and easy setup. I do have more traditional coleman tents. And a travel trailer. We do all sorts of camping.

sasquatchoverlanding

Local Expert, Indiana USA

Expedition Master III

Whiteland, IN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRMM229
Service Branch
US Army
I shopped around and was able to get a deal. At the same time I have back issues and a ground tent was becoming harder on my back even with easy set-up. I'm really just avoiding buying any kind of camper and staying more roughing it. Plus for me to have a sleep system anywhere I go has it's perks. And to be able to toss my bag in the rig and take off someplace face is a pro. Like it has been said then it comes down to your wants and really what makes you happy. My tent makes me happy and is easy for me to use. Life's to short to worry about what others think about RTTs.

frosty_t4r

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Cogburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS -- WROT556
I think that long-term living and comfortability on the road are big factors when it comes to how much you want to spend on a tent. Considerations are also warranties backed by the company, durability, and customer service care and support. I do hope prices drop at some point though because I agree with @Outdoordog that it is definitely a trend with a lot of city people and one-time campers.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
After using one for a year, I love mine. To me, the expense is a combination of comfort, and keeping the wife happy, so that she wants to go on trips with me.

When I was planning on building a trailer, I showed her that I could build either a squaredrop style that we sleep inside, or an expedition gear hauler style, with the roof top tent. She's a fan on tent camping, so that's what she wanted. She loves sleeping in our tent, and I suspect she'll love it even more after she tries out the new 4 inch self inflating mattress I put in there.

My daughter loves it as well, and thinks of it like a mobile tree house. I love it because I don't need to deal with setting up the mattress, or hauling gear into the tent. We unfold it, and our stuff is in there. Takes a total of a couple of minutes, and we're ready for bed.

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

This is not meant to throw any shade at rooftop tent owners so please don't take it that way but here is why I will not get a rooftop tent:
  • It would cost me $3,000 - $6,000. I already own an ultralight backpacking tent that weighs barely anything and takes up very little room.
    • That means an extra few grand for other mods.
  • I would not want to drive around town with a rooftop tent on, so this means I'd have to deal with taking it on and off my roof which is annoying and often times takes two people.
  • I would not be able to park in my garage with it on my roof.
  • It eats up part of my payload and also adds a bunch of extra weight to the top of my vehicle, making me more top heavy and increasing the chance of me rolling down a cliff on a shelf road while off-camber.
  • It decreases gas mileage.
  • My vehicle would not be as nimble and agile while making turns at high speeds. (yea yea, I know overlanding is not about speed)

Contributor III

New York, New York County, New York, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cheng
This is not meant to throw any shade at rooftop tent owners so please don't take it that way but here is why I will not get a rooftop tent:
  • It would cost me $3,000 - $6,000. I already own an ultralight backpacking tent that weighs barely anything and takes up very little room.
  • I would not want to drive around town with a rooftop tent on, so this means I'd have to deal with taking it on and off my roof which is annoying and often times takes two people.
  • It eats up part of my payload and also adds a bunch of extra weight to the top of my vehicle, making me more top heavy and increasing the chance of me rolling down a cliff on a shelf road while off-camber.
  • My vehicle would not be as nimble and agile while making turns at high speeds. (yea yea, I know overlanding is not about speed)
I am new to overlanding and been researching into this topic. I echo your points. The main benefit that would move me to investing in one is quick set and tear down. I camp a lot and it takes a bit of time to properly tear down your tents and equipment; even the backpacking light weight ones. It’s easy, but you end up spending time packing sleeping bags and cleaning the tent before packing it all up. I imagine with the roof top, I can leave my stuff, like sleeping bags and limited clothing inside and just pack and then Even a setup quick at the next spot.

And it looks damn sick and cool!! And the vista from top…. Cheery on top. What’s else / reason you need!!!

Again, new to this sport and I might be just blowing smoke from my rear end!

Reactions: Call_me_Tom

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
We all have our reason for having an RTT or not. 10-35 years ago, I would agree with you, but today I don’t.
My RTT cost my about $2000 with an annex, it sits on top of my trailer that is made just for camping, so all of your points don’t apply to me.
I believe I stated above that I like my RTT because at 65 years old, I find it much easier to climb up a ladder than crawl in and out of a ground tent and the mattress feels great to sleep on. Maybe in the future I will go to a annex that can be enclosed and go back to cots, which are not bad to sleep on.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I've been running one on my Tacoma DC for about five years now and don't feel I have lost much in nimbleness or performance. I did add some rear air bags/cushions that greatly reduced some roll in some situations. Tacomas never were great on gas mileage but I don't much care since it will go anywhere I want. I have been some places I didn't really need to be and got through just fine (Scofield Pass, Co.) there were issues but the RTT was not an issue. The comfort more than makes up for the effort and is easier than dealing with a ground tent. I really like being elevated. I can see that they are not for everybody. Climbing a ladder could be an issue for some. I carry an all-weather hammock and a backpack tent for backup also. As far as driving around town with a RTT? Pfffttt!

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
If justification is needed, the tent is not needed.

Few people regret buying them. This is largely because they buy them as a matter of necessity in their own minds and applications, either of convenience or of comfort.

In my case, neither ground tent nor RTT makes sense. I sleep in the back of my tow rig, and scout around in the toy. This is not convenient for full-timers or the career minded, but I built my tow rig for less than half the price of a RTT.

Reactions: Dusther210 and MMc

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I bought mine "gently" used for a little more than I paid for the tires on my trailer so cost wasn't an issue. To be honest I didn't really want one but it is serving my needs nicely while I'm building tear drop trailer. This trailer will be sold with the RTT on it which I think will make it a bit more attractive to some one.

At 70, this will be my second season with it and I've been happily surprised. Mounting it at half height works well for me. I've had no issues with it and have found it to be very comfortable. I have another tear drop trailer so this one isn't used for all of my trips. My wife doesn't like the RTT which is another plus. This one is for solo trips only. I've had it in heavy wind and rain conditions and it's held up great. I probably wouldn't like it in snow but that's only because of having to deal with boots and heavier clothing. I have tent and tow vehicle sleeping options as well. This is just another way for me to camp.

22-10-01 20.JPG22-10-01 19.JPG

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I bought mine "gently" used for a little more than I paid for the tires on my trailer so cost wasn't an issue. To be honest I didn't really want one but it is serving my needs nicely while I'm building tear drop trailer. This trailer will be sold with the RTT on it which I think will make it a bit more attractive to some one.

At 70, this will be my second season with it and I've been happily surprised. Mounting it at half height works well for me. I've had no issues with it and have found it to be very comfortable. I have another tear drop trailer so this one isn't used for all of my trips. My wife doesn't like the RTT which is another plus. This one is for solo trips only. I've had it in heavy wind and rain conditions and it's held up great. I probably wouldn't like it in snow but that's only because of having to deal with boots and heavier clothing. I have tent and tow vehicle sleeping options as well. This is just another way for me to camp.

View attachment 254800View attachment 254801
Now that is a setup! Half-height looks like the most practical if not ever running an annex underneath.

Reactions: Dusther210 and PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Now that is a setup! Half-height looks like the most practical if not ever running an annex underneath.
Thanks. It's a lot shorter fall in the middle of the night! No need for an annex as I have an awning with an annex room for the Jeep. I also have a 4 side Gazelle screen tent so I'm "covered". :smile:

JackAttack

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ripley QLD, Australia
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Fredericks
Member #

It's simple for me really.

• about a minute to setup / pack away (means I'm not bothered by having to pack up to go somewhere)
  • Very comfortable
  • Bedding can stay inside my model (Home Page - Adventure Kings)
  • I always have somewhere safe and comfortable to sleep no matter where I am. Even if I'm just on a long drive and need to rest from fatigue
  • I don't take mine on or off - its 24/7 on the car. It barely affects performance or fuel since I have the right vehicle for the job in this instance.
All in all I see value in having one and having one has empowered me to go adventuring far more than I would ever had with a normal tent.

IMG_2068.jpg

Cheers,

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@JackAttack Well, that basically ends the discussion - I've spent more than a fair share of nights in vehicles, and it's not usually fun, and not always convenient. It doesn't come up often enough to necessitate accommodation, but I briefly entertained the thought of getting a motor home or conversion van. Ultimately didn't, because of said tow rig being able to serve all needed functions.

The RTT provides the distinct and unique advantage of dedicated, non-invasive sleeping quarters on a base vehicle of your choice, outfitted for your needs. This is the only reason for a RTT. As @JackAttack said, it's very simple.

Either you will use it, or you won't!

lennyg3

Rank I

Contributor III

Northeast Pennsylvania
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Sklaney
At the risk of interjecting myself too far into a conversation as the new guy, I feel like most people look at a RTT the wrong way because of the naming, when in reality, it is more akin to a budget version of a softsided pop-up camper.... My wife and i considered a slide in camper so we could still haul the boat/SxS/quads, but storage and taking the unit in and out were just not realistic on a routine basis. However keeping the hardshell RTT on the cap of the truck created little inconvenience other than a decrease in mileage, and is set up and ready to go should we decide to get away for the weekend. It also does not make the truck nearly as top heavy as a slide in would an allows us much more off-road capabilities. My situation may not be an answer to your question, but it was the compromise that made the most sense for my family, and i think that is most important; understand the pros and cons vs the other options and choose what works best for you.

Ground Tent
RTT
Slide in Camper
Bumper Tow
5th wheel
Motor Home
Vacation Home

Last edited:
Reactions: DintDobbs

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
I believe this is where I differ from this groups main goal, Overlanding. I must say I hate RTTs... Only because I can't find one that check boxes I want and I really wish there was one.

Few things that prevent RRTs in my instance.
- Full family. I have yet to find a RTT that will sleep 2 adult and 2 kids comfortably. I also hate the false advertising. When a company says it can sleep 4-5 but takes credit for the Annex as sleeping quarters. Just for reference, we use an 8 person, two room ground tent. Weighs 23lbs and gets down to the size of a backpack.
- Most instance when camping we tend to stay in a location for several days. I understand RTTs can be deployed and stored in minutes. Still an annoyance.
- I don't have spare HP :smirk: Lets face it, with an extra 250lb tent and horrible aerodynamics, my top speed would be 60mph.
- I like going topless... You heard me. It's strange to me seeing someone plop money down on a jeep only to kill one of its biggest selling points, no top/doors. But to each there own.
- My terrain. I off-road, not some much overland. That extra weight and large box strapped to my roof would hinder my decisions some what.

I know some would say a trailer is the answer. It only took one trip with a trailer to realize it wasn't for us. We didn't use it to its potential and could not justify the cost. If we want sinks, lights, shower, two beds, kitchen, we would likely just get a little KOA cabin. On trips when its just me, I sleep in the jeep.

Again, RTT would be nice but just doesn't fit my version of outdoor exploration at the moment. PS: I'm scared of heights.

Reactions: DintDobbs