What items do you bring that make the camp/trip experience even better?

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Hello all,
Thought it would be interesting to make a thread on what others bring on their journey out or use at their camp site that make the outdoors experience a whole lot better, that someone may not normally bring. Would be interesting to learn someone else's camp "hacks".

To start this off.

1. Locking carabiner(s): You can hang stuff with it inside your car, you can make a make-shift clothes line, a whole lot of things that are useful for these!
2. Storm Proof matches: Even if you don't expect a storm or to be going in water, these are nice to have. You never know if your water bottle starts leaking inside your bag and gets your things wet... :weary:
3. Flash-light with magnet: Sure you can use a head lamp, but I personally don't like using them, unless I need to. So I have a flashlight that has a magnet which I can place on the car and do my things. It's extremely useful for working on the car at night (so you don't hit your head with the head lamp), and inside the car, you can read a book without a headlamp too.
4. Athlete's tape(the one you find at the drug store): It's cheap and has multiple uses(protect your hands/feet from blisters, first-aid, etc). Not to mention, they stick much better than a traditional band-aid even with sweat/water/use.

there's more, but lets see what you guys have!

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

That's all good stuff..

I like to bring toys for the kids: bikes, Frisbee, coloring books and even ipads in case it rains otherwise no electronics. We try to keep our kids off of tech as much as we can.

Reactions: Cavo

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@theoutbackdream

I agree with carabiners, I have a selection that I keep on my main pack. 1 locking one safe for climbing, a couple of smaller ones for attaching things or hanging them. Just picked up a fun little one called the Firebiner from kickstarter which adds a sparkwheel and a few other multi tool goodies.

My must haves:
1) Sunscreen! Don't be outside w/o it.
2) Strong Deet Bug repellent (and a way to hose it off)
3) Baby wipes, Great way to clean the trail grime and bug spray off
4) Teva type sandals, great to let the feet relax after a long day of being in the hiking boots. Or for scouting stream crossings.

Boort

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Extra rope to make a dog run for the dogs.
Fireball to stay "warm" while enjoying a campfire.
Beer to wash down dinner with.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Influencer II

@theoutbackdream

I agree with carabiners, I have a selection that I keep on my main pack. 1 locking one safe for climbing, a couple of smaller ones for attaching things or hanging them. Just picked up a fun little one called the Firebiner from kickstarter which adds a sparkwheel and a few other multi tool goodies.

My must haves:
1) Sunscreen! Don't be outside w/o it.
2) Strong Deet Bug repellent (and a way to hose it off)
3) Baby wipes, Great way to clean the trail grime and bug spray off
4) Teva type sandals, great to let the feet relax after a long day of being in the hiking boots. Or for scouting stream crossings.

Boort
Firebiner, i'll check that out! Thanks!

I agree with your list. But try to be careful with the bottled spray bug repellent! For some reason, it fell out of my bag and got squished and cracked under all the stuff in the trunk and moving around. It leaked all over. haha

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

My hammock, the right chair, a nip or two of your favorite drink, good coffee.

A couple of other things that we like:
- Solar Luci lights or Christmas lights (on low)
- some project for the kids to do (build a shelter, carve a spoon, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
A good book to read and things to fiddle with around camp. Some times I bring some of my bushcraft stuff to mess with or my HT Ham radio to talk around on the local repeaters. In the future there might be some SOTA activations as well. With kids, they all bring a toy of some sort and something like Uno and a deck of cards. Also dessert stuff like Smores or dirt cake keeps them occupied for a bit as well.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Good one! I don't have kids, so I wouldn't know. But I'll bring a deck of cards for my group of friends. haha
Just wait...you'll see and feel the experience of camping with kids. It can be good or it can be terrible, all in how you plan.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@theoutbackdream

Firebiner, i'll check that out! Thanks!
I agree with your list. But try to be careful with the bottled spray bug repellent! For some reason, it fell out of my bag and got squished and cracked under all the stuff in the trunk and moving around. It leaked all over. haha
That would smell awful! Had similar happen with a bottle of pickles once. Very glad it was the bed of the truck and not the cab. Smelled like vinegar for the whole summer.

Boort

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I wrap the flashlights with glow tape. Before we got solar in the cabin it was handy to see where a flashlight, etc. was in complete darkness and that carried over into backpacking/camping.