What is YOUR ultimate overland setup, and why?

• HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
@tjZ06 Had this idea in another thread, and I thought that it might be a really good discussion. Hopefully, but having this conversation, new members and old members can have the opportunity to think about mods they've done, mods they plan to do, and what would they change with their current build and why. The goal here is the sharing of information for the betterment of the community.

I'd like to start with a couple of rules:

1. No attacking members thoughts or mods - Remember the goal is the sharing of information. Just because something is the best for YOU, doesn't mean it fits everybody elses needs.

2. Please explain the reasoning behind every mod that you post. People can't learn if we don't share our reasons why, even if it's "because that's what I was told to do".

My ideal overland setup would be as follows:

2012+ Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
Titan Swapped Front Suspension
Narrowed Titan Rear Axle
Regeared to....??
Long Range Fuel Tank
Wedge Style RTT
35" AT Tires
Rear Tire Carrier
Various interior mods, such as drawer system,

An Offroad Squaredrop Style Trailer

Personally, I'm a big fan of modular setups.

I also LOVE the Nissan D40/N50 platforms (as well as the D22, but they're getting pretty old at this point), hence my ultimate setup would be a late model 2nd Gen.

I like the idea of the titan swap for multiple reasons. Strength and durability being the primary reason, with travel being a secondary reason. I understand that many people will only use vehicles with solid front axles, but that's just not something I'm worried about.

Narrowed Titan Rear axle for the strength and durability.

I'd love a long range fuel tank, since these things don't get the best mileage in the first place. Start bolting on heavy mods and 35in tires, and it goes downhill REALLY fast.

Wedge style Rooftop tent for the speed at which it sets up. the tent on top would usually be used for myself, or my daughter when she gets a little older, and the wife and I will sleep in the trailer.

35" Tires because they'll clear with the titan swap, and because why not? Honestly, I'd probably do 33's just because they're cheaper.

Rear tire carrier to make room for the long range tank underneath, and if I blow a tire in the mud, I don't want to have to crawl underneath any more than necessary.

Drawer system, because it makes organization SO MUCH EASIER.

The trailer is a double edged sword. I'd love to be able to do very long term trips. Fitting everything we'd need just within the X would be damn near impossible. With my kid getting a little older now, it's not going to be long before she won't fit in the current RTT with the wife and I. Trailer's are great because you can roll up to where you want to camp, and be ready for bed in about 5 minutes (with the sleep-in style trailers). I LOVE our current trailer, but being able to just part, and open the door is very enticing. Having a full kitchen, water, built in heater, and everything there, ready to use is very nice (we have most of this with our current setup).

Now, that's my current rendition of the ultimate rig? Who's next?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

@tjZ06 Had this idea in another thread, and I thought that it might be a really good discussion. Hopefully, but having this conversation, new members and old members can have the opportunity to think about mods they've done, mods they plan to do, and what would they change with their current build and why. The goal here is the sharing of information for the betterment of the community.

I'd like to start with a couple of rules:

1. No attacking members thoughts or mods - Remember the goal is the sharing of information. Just because something is the best for YOU, doesn't mean it fits everybody elses needs.

2. Please explain the reasoning behind every mod that you post. People can't learn if we don't share our reasons why, even if it's "because that's what I was told to do".

My ideal overland setup would be as follows:

2012+ Nissan Xterra Pro-4x
Titan Swapped Front Suspension
Narrowed Titan Rear Axle
Regeared to....??
Long Range Fuel Tank
Wedge Style RTT
35" AT Tires
Rear Tire Carrier
Various interior mods, such as drawer system,

An Offroad Squaredrop Style Trailer

Personally, I'm a big fan of modular setups.

I also LOVE the Nissan D40/N50 platforms (as well as the D22, but they're getting pretty old at this point), hence my ultimate setup would be a late model 2nd Gen.

I like the idea of the titan swap for multiple reasons. Strength and durability being the primary reason, with travel being a secondary reason. I understand that many people will only use vehicles with solid front axles, but that's just not something I'm worried about.

Narrowed Titan Rear axle for the strength and durability.

I'd love a long range fuel tank, since these things don't get the best mileage in the first place. Start bolting on heavy mods and 35in tires, and it goes downhill REALLY fast.

Wedge style Rooftop tent for the speed at which it sets up. the tent on top would usually be used for myself, or my daughter when she gets a little older, and the wife and I will sleep in the trailer.

35" Tires because they'll clear with the titan swap, and because why not? Honestly, I'd probably do 33's just because they're cheaper.

Rear tire carrier to make room for the long range tank underneath, and if I blow a tire in the mud, I don't want to have to crawl underneath any more than necessary.

Drawer system, because it makes organization SO MUCH EASIER.

The trailer is a double edged sword. I'd love to be able to do very long term trips. Fitting everything we'd need just within the X would be damn near impossible. With my kid getting a little older now, it's not going to be long before she won't fit in the current RTT with the wife and I. Trailer's are great because you can roll up to where you want to camp, and be ready for bed in about 5 minutes (with the sleep-in style trailers). I LOVE our current trailer, but being able to just part, and open the door is very enticing. Having a full kitchen, water, built in heater, and everything there, ready to use is very nice (we have most of this with our current setup).

Now, that's my current rendition of the ultimate rig? Who's next?
Good idea on spinning-up a new thread. I joke around with buddies like @orange01z28 that I might like the builds and dreaming up the "ultimate" setups neaaaarly as much as the actual camping. Obviously that's not actually true, but kicking around cool ideas for "ultimate" rigs gets me through the work day a lot of days, lol.

Anyway, I definitely dig your "ultimate" setup. I have a '12 Xterra Pro-4X, so perhaps I'm biased but I agree it's a great platform. Right now it serves as my daily and only sort of "reasonable" vehicle so it's stock, but a Titan swap and all the other mods you listed are a "dream" for it. I also agree about the trailer for long trips, especially with a growing family. As you said it's a double-edge sword, but for your use case I think the advantages outweigh the drawbacks. If you go trailer I 1000% agree with something that you basically just park and you're g2g. IMHO if the trailer involves deploying a ton of extra stuff, staking out "rooms" and all sorts of BS, and the kitchen isn't basically always ready to use with just lifting a hatch then really it's not providing much advantage over a good ole ground tent and camp stove. ;)

As for me, I'll just copy/paste what I put in the other thread, but perhaps expand a little:

For me, my "Ultimate" Overland rig is my 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD (Crew Cab, 4x4, Duramax Diesel/Allison Trans) which has been Solid Axle Swapped (SAS) and has a 2020 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (side-dinette) pop-up camper in it. Reasons I think it is the Ultimate Overland Vehicle:
  • Capability - with the solid axle swap (radius arms and coil overs with a SD60), 4.56s/ARB lockers front and rear, 37x13.5-17 MTs, ample ground clearance and armor it is capable of a lot, perhaps more than anyone would consider "Overlanding"
  • Range - with a 60 gallon fuel tank and reasonable MPG (~15 MPG at 70-75 MPH freeway, 10-12 MPG aired down off road) the range is pretty exceptional
  • Reliability - even at nearly 150k miles the rig has proven exceptionally reliable, and I over-maintain it in an effort to maintain that reliability indefinitely
  • Comfort - overall it's very comfortable to drive on, and off road. But even more it's a very comfortable to camp in with the FWC
  • Capacity - a full size truck and camper allows me to bring everything *and* the kitchen sink
  • Speed of Setup/Breakdown - depending on just how elaborate I make camp, I can go from parked to fully setup in well under a minute. If I put out my table, chairs, skottle, etc. it adds a few minutes, but from parked to "sleep ready" can be as little as 30 seconds (and vice versa in the AM)
Reasons I think my rig isn't the Ultimate Overland Vehicle:
  • Weight - the rig weighs 10,300lbs loaded out for a trip (that's all gear, tools, food, water, etc. for an extended trip). While weight has some advantages, it does mean if I get stuck or break recovery is far more difficult
  • Size - it's not a small rig, so there are some trails I simply can't utilize
  • Comfort - there are certain, very specific situations where it's not comfortable (basically "chatter bumps" or staggered bumps generally created by side-by-sides in softer, silty conditions which toss the rig left-right-left-right as opposed to traditional washboard that is even across the trail)
  • Complexity of Setup/Breakdown - because I have the space I tend to bring way too much stuff, and setup an overly elaborate camp. Obviously this is easily solvable, and even with all my gadgets setup/breakdown is only a ~10min deal, but I would list it as a drawback
What I am, or would change next:
  • Aftermarket front bumper with winch and lights - mostly just needed a way to get a winch on the thing (I'm always the heaviest in the group, so I need to be able to self-recover), but the additional light will be welcome and some additional protection

If I was going to do something completely different, not based on one of my current vehicles, I think I'd do a 2-door JL Rubicon with the 2.0T and a tear/squaredrop like @reaver described. Something like a 3.5" lift and 37-38"s, appropriate gearing, and a little armor would make for an incredibly capable vehicle with the little 2-door, and the trailer would make up for the lack of space (plus give the advantage of a base camp).

-TJ

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
now THIS is a good idea, @reaver...
posting what we have and explaining why is very helpful for those who sincerely want to get ideas and maybe improve what they already have.

View attachment 250228View attachment 250229

i down sized from a super duty f-350 to the tundra a month before i met my wife, so once we started dating and getting into traveling and camping, i went with the tundra because i already had it. the tundra is a good reliable platform, so it actually works great for the way we do things. its stock, but i did go with a level kit and upsized tires to 285s for a hair more clearance. i added the bull bar for front end protection, if nothing more than just being able to push grocery carts out of the way at walmart...

after a few trips, i added the camper shell and mounted the cargo basket on top for extra storage and mainly for my 11# propane tank, since i dont want it inside the shell. i built a drawer system in the back and since it is the 6.5' bed, i can stretch out in the back just fine. we added a memory foam mattress and i also went with a 50w solar panel on top and a 35ah gel battery in the shell for lights, water pump, phone charging at night, etc.

we did a trip out at black gap with some OB members and i realized i would need extra fuel, so i went with a swing-a-way hitch carrier and put my ice chest and fuel cans on it. i can swing the carrier out and away so i can lower the tailgate without having to unload and remove the carrier. it also works great having the ice chest right there when cooking on the tailgate.

we'll take the truck for desert camping and trips where we are going fast and hard and can pull over anywhere and sleep. we have a square drop we take that carries our kayak and i also built out a cargo trailer that we take when we are going to stay in one spot for a while and use it as a basecamp.

i wont use the "u" word because people will lose their minds over it, but i should be safe saying that this has been a very adequate rig for helping us do what we like doing.:grinning:
I wasn't even talking about what we have. I meant if you could build ANYTHING, what would it be, and why? If that is your current rig, great!

I already like that this is just going to be an open thread on reasons behind the build, with detailed explanations as to how you came to that decision.

Reactions: RaD Overlanding

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@reaver A good question; largely a subjective discussion, since each individual has different usage habits!

I'd start with a 2nd-gen Ford Explorer 4x4 for cheap reliability and sturdiness. I have 2 of them already and love 'em both! Huge windows make them perfect for sightseeing.

Gotta have the 4.0 SOHC and 4.10's, lots of torque and reasonable fuel economy.

I think I'd lift 2", space it 1.5" on all four and go A/T's, 31x10.50 or as close as I can get. More ground clearance is always good, and the extra width makes a big difference with the narrow tracks these have from the factory.

Matching spare wheel and tire. Not optional. When you need it, you need it.

Jerry can or two, strapped to roof - it will be fine. If it won't be fine, a cable lock will make sure it will be fine. Extra range is always a nice luxury.

Auxiliary lighting, probably on third (added) roof bar, since these don't offer much side view at night.

Trailer hitch receiver, front and rear would be nice, but front is ultimately optional. A D-ring shackle on a hitch receiver makes a handy recovery point.

Hi-Lift or equivalent jack. There is no better way to get a truck off the ground quickly. Also doubles as a winch, when used with recovery strap.

Shovel, carried inside or strapped to roof. Simple tool set, including sockets, adjustable wrench, breaker bar, big hammer, and pry bar. Ratchet straps. Hunting knife. Jumper cables, fire extinguisher, and first-aid kit. Again, not optional - when you need them, you need them!

The interior, I'd keep as simple as possible to accommodate passengers in all seats. Ratchet strap loose items to cargo floor. 2 can sleep in the back; if more than 2 come along for the ride, bring a ground tent.

I travel lightly and avoid camping as much as possible. If necessary, however, this arrangement should be able to accommodate 4. Bring two 24-packs of bottled water and a few boxes of granola bars and sandwich crackers, and you're good for up to 3 days.

And if you wonder where to store all that junk when two are sleeping in the back... that's what the passenger seat and footwell is for!

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I have been off-road and over landing for a long time. I have learned that simple is better. And for once, I am happy with my setup I have. My set up is reliable, dependable, capable and comfortable. That does not mean I wont to make incremental improvements. But I am content.

• Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    • 3 inch lift
    • 35 inch tires
    • Locking deck lid
    • Side Bed Racks (so my junk is not out there)
    • ARB compressor in the bed
    • All other goodies, like gas cans and such
  • Mission Overland Summit
    • dual lithium batteries
    • Solar
    • other than that, it is pretty stock

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
If I could build any vehicle for overland travel, it would be one I don't have access too. Reliable, simple, effective with enough room for the family.

79 Series Land Cruiser Double Cab
Turbo Diesel​
Manual Transmission​
Locked solid axles​
Small lift to fit 33's​
Bullbar for animal strike protection and winch mount​
Simple tray and enclosure with sleep access on top​
Basic supplemental electric system to support camp needs and ham radio​

I'd be happy as can be in this set up and would be able to go anywhere. Something similar to this:

1676663899901.png

Last edited:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If I could build any vehicle for overland travel, it would be one I don't have access too. Reliable, simple, effective with enough room for the family.

79 Series Land Cruiser Double Cab
Turbo Diesel​
Manual Transmission​
Locked solid axles​
Small lift to fit 33's​
Bullbar for animal strike protection and winch mount​
Simple tray and enclosure with sleep access on top​
Basic supplemental electric system to support camp needs and ham radio​

I'd be happy as can be in this set up and would be able to go anywhere.
I would definitely consider something like a Troopy, similar to the way ASPW set up his. I'd definitely do a roof conversion, if that's available as on option.

Reactions: KonzaLander

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
If I was 10 years younger and an extra 50,000.

Import a TD5 04 Discovery II our of Spain - Left hand drive.
2 inch OEM lift
Steel Bumper Front and rear
Turn the rear into a camper.
Add a popup roof

discocamper.jpg

But the reality is I am pretty happy with my current D2, replacing the V8 with a diesel would be nice but is cost prohibitive as is an LS swap.

The only thing left is to create better organization in the back - a platform I can sleep on if the weather is really bad (high winds heavy rain) and still have my gear loaded to no higher than the bottom edge of the back windows.

I have gear and the truck is reliable and works well.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So my dream Overland build would be a smaller sized van, like a VW vanagon (T3) or UAZ Buchanka for size comparison.
Construction wise it's the Buchanka, solid axle front mid engine body on frame.

Starting from top to bottom, it would be equipped with a partial roof rack and a pop top sleeper.
Scheelmann seats in the front for comfort, the rear would have a minimalistic setup with robust surfaces and a robust floor, obviously insulated, water tanks and battery bank oriented to front center. Drawers in the back with primary kitchen out of the back, secondary cooking options in the van for really bad or cold weather.
One gullwing window in the rear for water access /shower option.
Emergency sleeping option inside but primary sleeping in the poptop.
Technically it would be equipped with solar and Lithium battery, swapped to a 3L isuzu turbodiesel with automatic transmission. Diesel engine heater and diesel air heater for the interior.
Parabolic leafsprings front and back with some better shocks, a bit of lift and Portal axles (original military or bolt on portals)
Tire size would be around 32" probably because fitting more gets hilarious on this van. The obligatory steel bumpers with a winch, tire carrier and Jerry can carrier, some skid plates and a few led lights.

This build would be street legal doable here except for the diesel conversion, this would be extremely questionable and probably not legal in the end.

Why? Because a van gives you some interior space, which I would like to have, Isuzu diesels weight less than Cummins are widely available in the world and auto transmission is just beneficial. Portal axles are just nice to have.
Yes I could achieve all that with a Troopy but I'll probably finish a Buchanka for the price of a stock Troopy with a naturally aspirated gasoline engine.

So I found some pictures to give you a hint of how it could look, the one without poptop has Portal axles
Screenshot_20230219_230350_com.android.chrome~2.jpgScreenshot_20230219_230443_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Last edited:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So my dream Overland build would be a smaller sized van, like a VW vanagon (T3) or UAZ Buchanka for size comparison.
Construction wise it's the Buchanka, solid axle front mid engine body on frame.

Starting from top to bottom, it would be equipped with a partial roof rack and a pop top sleeper.
Scheelmann seats in the front for comfort, the rear would have a minimalistic setup with robust surfaces and a robust floor, obviously insulated, water tanks and battery bank oriented to front center. Drawers in the back with primary kitchen out of the back, secondary cooking options in the van for really bad or cold weather.
One gullwing window in the rear for water access /shower option.
Emergency sleeping option inside but primary sleeping in the poptop.
Technically it would be equipped with solar and Lithium battery, swapped to a 3L isuzu turbodiesel with automatic transmission. Diesel engine heater and diesel air heater for the interior.
Parabolic leafsprings front and back with some better shocks, a bit of lift and Portal axles (original military or bolt on portals)
Tire size would be around 32" probably because fitting more gets hilarious on this van. The obligatory steel bumpers with a winch, tire carrier and Jerry can carrier, some skid plates and a few led lights.

This build would be street legal doable here except for the diesel conversion, this would be extremely questionable and probably not legal in the end.

Why? Because a van gives you some interior space, which I would like to have, Isuzu diesels weight less than Cummins are widely available in the world and auto transmission is just beneficial. Portal axles are just nice to have.
Yes I could achieve all that with a Troopy but I'll probably finish a Buchanka for the price of a stock Troopy with a naturally aspirated gasoline engine.

If I find a picture I'll edit the post.
Very cool man. I'd love to see a picture of what you're thinking when found.

Now, I'll do an iteration of my dream setup, using this as my starting point:

First thing I would LOVE to address is the power issue, especially at altitude. So there, I think a diesel swap would be in order. That would solve to main issues with the the D22 Xterras.....power, and MPG.

I'm undecided on whether or not I would SAS the truck. Advantages being I could put 1 ton axles, and build a WICKED crawler......but.......I don't need that. In the 3 years, and MANY places I've taken this vehicle, not once have I ever thought I'd be better of in a vehicle with solid axles.

So, maybe solid axles, and maybe I'd just go with stronger torsion arms, longer UCAs (working on that one), 2in body lift, and 33's.

I've very happy with the layout and overall setup of my X in it's current config.

This drawer set up has worked very well for me so far:

I have made some revisions to it along the way. The electrical setup has been redone twice. Ive switched to using anderson powerpole connectors to hook up to the relay box, as well as anything that would need to be disconnected in order to pull the drawers out). I also added a 25a solar charger, and 2x 30A power pole connectors at the rear of the drawers.

I've not really used this setup yet, but we'll see how well it works. If I were to build it again, I might make the drawers just a hair taller (10in deep), and I'd probably make the top out of something like starboard. I'd also use locking slides in the drawers.

While I've not done much wheeling or off camber roads with the tent up there, overall, I really like it. It's not perfect though. The mattress sucks (I've replaced it with a 4" self inflating pad, which I use a pump to suck all the air out. It's a little difficult to close and open, due to how high it is, and the mattress making it hard to close.

Initially, I had decided I didn't want to put a tent up on the X, but this was a free warranty replacement, so after fixing the original, I figured I'd try it up there for a year, and see what I think.

Going forward, I may decode to keep this tent, or switch to a wedge style. I may even go to a soft shell style for the annex setup.

That takes care of the rig for the most part. I might go with a different style tire carrier, but there are some advantages to my current setup.

As for the trailer, if I were building again, there's ALOT I would do differently.

First of all, the exterior would be clad with aluminum composite panels instead of wood.

Also, I would NOT have attempted to make my own doors.

I would also have move the front doors back a couple of inches, leaving room for some rack supports at the front

There a bunch if other small stuff I might have done differently. I'd have gone with different tail lights. But overall, the kitchen setup works, is somewhat organized (now), the water system works amazingly well (still thinking about adding an on demand water heater). I think in moderate weather, our needs are well served by a single 100Ah lifepo4 battery in the trailer. However.... When it's cold, that situation changes, and I feel like I 100Ah just isn't quite enough. Well see though.

Honestly, I've been very happy with my setup, and it's been working exceptionally well for our needs.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't place just 1 vehicle to suit all of my needs.
I've been running Jeeps for a long time but I started with full sized rigs. So ... I have established a need to get further off grid than most vehicles can go stock. I would love a vehicle to be cheap to operate but I know that's a stretch, and with a growing family, I am leaning back towards full sized rigs.
So this is where it leads me to my dilemma lol. I love the excursion builds out there but that's honestly probably more than I need. I lived in an late 90's 2 door blazer for a bit when I was younger and a little more room would have been nice. But I don't have a real solid plan..... I never seem to. I kinda just play it as it goes. Which makes this a hard question to answer.
I was thinking a early 2000's suburban, likely SAS and 35s. That's way it would get me to the places I go now.
I would likely keep the interior fairly stock as I carry most of my gear in totes to swap between vehicles and it would likely have to be a daily driver. However I would also attach my planned trailer build behind it to make space in the back.
I started just Wheeling by myself, and now I have a wife, 2 kids and a dog. The Jeep just doesn't have enough room anymore, and is way overbuilt to be used as a long distance vehicle.... it's been done, but it's exhausting.
Sooo.....
*RIG*
• 2000's suburban w/barn doors and drop down tables on each door.
• dual battery setup. Main battery separate from house battery.
• solar on the back portion of the roof.
• cargo rack on the front/middle section of the roof told hold either kayaks or RTT.
• SAS swap... would love to do coilovers but they really don't last around hear with the salt... so I think leaf springs would be the easy solution for install and longevity.
• 35" tires would likely be the goal to get the belly up high enough to keep the breakover angle where I would need it to get into the spots I like to go to.
• steel bumper on front with winch
• steel bumper on rear with a swing out tire carrier/fuel storage
• I would like to keep a fridge in the back of the rig

*TRAILER*
• finish building out my trailer that has storage, slide out kitchen, slide outs for tools, air compressor and tank, also roof attachments for kayaks or RTT.
• water tank ( or pump and filter)

I don't know much about solar setups or how much power I would need to run camp ... so this is all hypothetical.......

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Red_Leaf_Overland Hypothetical is the name of the game! There are plenty of full-size options out there, and cross-compatibility between Silverados, Suburbans, and Tahoes means abundant aftermarket support. You could actually make that a reality for fairly cheap, if you can find a good truck to start with.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

@Red_Leaf_Overland Hypothetical is the name of the game! There are plenty of full-size options out there, and cross-compatibility between Silverados, Suburbans, and Tahoes means abundant aftermarket support. You could actually make that a reality for fairly cheap, if you can find a good truck to start with.
I've been looking for about a year but they are mostly rotted out around my area. Also the ones that aren't rotted people want way too much for them. Pretty much any full size SUV with 4x4 and sky high miles is selling for around $8-$15k some as low as $5k if they need to be towed away and a motor or trans put in them. I did recently come across a 07 Ford Expedition for $7500 that was tempting but it was 3 hours away with a very limited description and pictures lol. for now I'll keep rockin the compass with a trailer until I can afford something bigger .... or the wife lets me dig deeper into my pockets lol

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Very cool man. I'd love to see a picture of what you're thinking when found.

Now, I'll do an iteration of my dream setup, using this as my starting point:

First thing I would LOVE to address is the power issue, especially at altitude. So there, I think a diesel swap would be in order. That would solve to main issues with the the D22 Xterras.....power, and MPG.

I'm undecided on whether or not I would SAS the truck. Advantages being I could put 1 ton axles, and build a WICKED crawler......but.......I don't need that. In the 3 years, and MANY places I've taken this vehicle, not once have I ever thought I'd be better of in a vehicle with solid axles.

So, maybe solid axles, and maybe I'd just go with stronger torsion arms, longer UCAs (working on that one), 2in body lift, and 33's.

I've very happy with the layout and overall setup of my X in it's current config.

This drawer set up has worked very well for me so far:

I have made some revisions to it along the way. The electrical setup has been redone twice. Ive switched to using anderson powerpole connectors to hook up to the relay box, as well as anything that would need to be disconnected in order to pull the drawers out). I also added a 25a solar charger, and 2x 30A power pole connectors at the rear of the drawers.

I've not really used this setup yet, but we'll see how well it works. If I were to build it again, I might make the drawers just a hair taller (10in deep), and I'd probably make the top out of something like starboard. I'd also use locking slides in the drawers.

While I've not done much wheeling or off camber roads with the tent up there, overall, I really like it. It's not perfect though. The mattress sucks (I've replaced it with a 4" self inflating pad, which I use a pump to suck all the air out. It's a little difficult to close and open, due to how high it is, and the mattress making it hard to close.

Initially, I had decided I didn't want to put a tent up on the X, but this was a free warranty replacement, so after fixing the original, I figured I'd try it up there for a year, and see what I think.

Going forward, I may decode to keep this tent, or switch to a wedge style. I may even go to a soft shell style for the annex setup.

That takes care of the rig for the most part. I might go with a different style tire carrier, but there are some advantages to my current setup.

As for the trailer, if I were building again, there's ALOT I would do differently.

First of all, the exterior would be clad with aluminum composite panels instead of wood.

Also, I would NOT have attempted to make my own doors.

I would also have move the front doors back a couple of inches, leaving room for some rack supports at the front

There a bunch if other small stuff I might have done differently. I'd have gone with different tail lights. But overall, the kitchen setup works, is somewhat organized (now), the water system works amazingly well (still thinking about adding an on demand water heater). I think in moderate weather, our needs are well served by a single 100Ah lifepo4 battery in the trailer. However.... When it's cold, that situation changes, and I feel like I 100Ah just isn't quite enough. Well see though.

Honestly, I've been very happy with my setup, and it's been working exceptionally well for our needs.
If I was looking to SAS a Xterra I'd definitely be looking at something like D44s or Ford 9" instead of one ton axles. Unless you go reDONKulous it'll never have the tire or power to require the one tons, and the lighter axles will provide more ground clearance, less unsprung weight (better ride), etc. etc. Just my $0.02

-TJ

Reactions: DintDobbs

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I've been thinking about this for a while and I can't place just 1 vehicle to suit all of my needs.
I've been running Jeeps for a long time but I started with full sized rigs. So ... I have established a need to get further off grid than most vehicles can go stock. I would love a vehicle to be cheap to operate but I know that's a stretch, and with a growing family, I am leaning back towards full sized rigs.
So this is where it leads me to my dilemma lol. I love the excursion builds out there but that's honestly probably more than I need. I lived in an late 90's 2 door blazer for a bit when I was younger and a little more room would have been nice. But I don't have a real solid plan..... I never seem to. I kinda just play it as it goes. Which makes this a hard question to answer.
I was thinking a early 2000's suburban, likely SAS and 35s. That's way it would get me to the places I go now.
I would likely keep the interior fairly stock as I carry most of my gear in totes to swap between vehicles and it would likely have to be a daily driver. However I would also attach my planned trailer build behind it to make space in the back.
I started just Wheeling by myself, and now I have a wife, 2 kids and a dog. The Jeep just doesn't have enough room anymore, and is way overbuilt to be used as a long distance vehicle.... it's been done, but it's exhausting.
Sooo.....
*RIG*
• 2000's suburban w/barn doors and drop down tables on each door.
• dual battery setup. Main battery separate from house battery.
• solar on the back portion of the roof.
• cargo rack on the front/middle section of the roof told hold either kayaks or RTT.
• SAS swap... would love to do coilovers but they really don't last around hear with the salt... so I think leaf springs would be the easy solution for install and longevity.
• 35" tires would likely be the goal to get the belly up high enough to keep the breakover angle where I would need it to get into the spots I like to go to.
• steel bumper on front with winch
• steel bumper on rear with a swing out tire carrier/fuel storage
• I would like to keep a fridge in the back of the rig

*TRAILER*
• finish building out my trailer that has storage, slide out kitchen, slide outs for tools, air compressor and tank, also roof attachments for kayaks or RTT.
• water tank ( or pump and filter)

I don't know much about solar setups or how much power I would need to run camp ... so this is all hypothetical.......
My buddy has a GMT400 Suburban with a SAS... he has 4 kids so the space is needed! It's on 37"s and locked and goes everywhere.

-TJ

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
If I was looking to SAS a Xterra I'd definitely be looking at something like D44s or Ford 9" instead of one ton axles. Unless you go reDONKulous it'll never have the tire or power to require the one tons, and the lighter axles will provide more ground clearance, less unsprung weight (better ride), etc. etc. Just my $0.02

-TJ
I actually have zero need to SAS. I just LOVE the way first gens look SAS'd on 35s. I'm currently working on scoring a set of Calmini UCAs from a guy on Xterranation.

I think 3 inches of lift will be more than enough for the old girl. I've only rubbed her belly once, and that was going over some whoops. It was soft silt dirt, so there was nothing to worry about.

Reactions: DintDobbs

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I am not sure that the ideal overland vehicle could actually be created, I would like it to be fuel efficient, small and nimble for tight trails, reliable and easy to work on. Would have plenty of space to sleep/sit/work inside of in all seasons, and be able to haul all the required supplies/safety and recover gear plus some comfort items all without exceeding the vehicle GVWR. Would be nice to not have to deal with wet condensated tent fabric that flaps in the wind. Many of these could be achieved with existing vehicles with modifications, but to get the holy grail vehicle I think is still a figment of my imagination unless one could figure out how to incorporate Tardis larger on the inside than the outside attribute to a wheeled vehicle... lol perhaps the cowboys were not far off with their use of horses, refueled themselves with available resources along the trail, all hoof traction always enabled. very nimble and resistive to pinstriping on tight and brushy trails, spare horseshoes are much lighter and smaller than tires, generally not problems with water in the intake during water crossings, perhaps a little limited in carrying capacity, but most importantly had its own central processing preservation center that would prevent its operator from doing something overly unadvisable. I do wonder in the old days if Cowboys sat around the campfire and trash talked the other cowboy's choices of horse? i.e. I can't believe that you ride a Morgan, everyone knows an Appaloosa is much more reliable.

1677350686738.png 1677350768902.png

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

I am not sure that the ideal overland vehicle could actually be created, I would like it to be fuel efficient, small and nimble for tight trails, reliable and easy to work on. Would have plenty of space to sleep/sit/work inside of in all seasons, and be able to haul all the required supplies/safety and recover gear plus some comfort items all without exceeding the vehicle GVWR. Would be nice to not have to deal with wet condensated tent fabric that flaps in the wind. Many of these could be achieved with existing vehicles with modifications, but to get the holy grail vehicle I think is still a figment of my imagination unless one could figure out how to incorporate Tardis larger on the inside than the outside attribute to a wheeled vehicle... lol perhaps the cowboys were not far off with their use of horses, refueled themselves with available resources along the trail, all hoof traction always enabled. very nimble and resistive to pinstriping on tight and brushy trails, spare horseshoes are much lighter and smaller than tires, generally not problems with water in the intake during water crossings, perhaps a little limited in carrying capacity, but most importantly had its own central processing preservation center that would prevent its operator from doing something overly unadvisable. I do wonder in the old days if Cowboys sat around the campfire and trash talked the other cowboy's choices of horse? i.e. I can't believe that you ride a Morgan, everyone knows an Appaloosa is much more reliable.

View attachment 250763 View attachment 250764
Horses, much better than walking and access to narrow trails! While a built in CPU is a nice addition, horses can sometimes be a bit thick. Limited storage capacity, but if you need to carry more gear - add packhorses or mules. Major negatives would be exposure to the elements and potentially getting tossed if they get spooked. If they break down (die), I guess you’d have some fresh meat and could make jerky?

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ram 3500 Diesel Crew cab with 35” tires and extended range fuel tank and truck bed topper
- Fuel efficiency is on par with most smaller trucks that are loaded with all the typical overland stuff.
- Relatively simple solid front axle
- Tons of power for extended highway trips through the mountains
- Never run out of cargo carrying capacity
- Comfortable enough for 4 adults (only two of us with a small dog)
- Capable enough for mild trails
- Replacement parts are as close as the nearest parts store
- Could sleep comfortably in the bed of the truck

Reactions: OTH Overland