• HTML tutorial

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

hi guys

What is your ideal vehicle for overlanding and why...?

I have always had a soft spot for Toyota...very reliable...tough and great options for accessories...I prefer either landcruiser or hilux...and have owned both...got a landcruiser 120 now but my change it for a hilux again in the future...just for my needs the hilux gives me better options and room and is more economical....

What do you guy like and why...?

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

I love my Defender, cheap and plentiful spare parts, Meccano like built aids replacing any damaged panels. No more depreciation in it value. Smiles on your face driving it and waves from other Defender drivers.

Ideal vehicle Land Rover 101 converted to a camper with a Td5 engine and auto box. mmmm.

grover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Silver Springs, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Grover
Member #

I initially posted this in the wrong thread. Anyway...

Considering the broad scope of overlanding, here are my two "overlanding" vehicles:

Why the Jeep?
- cheap. so cheap, that it is a second vehicle dedicated to my hobby, which has tremendous benefits. I even I bought a second one just for parts.
- manual transmission, which I just like.. that's all there is to be said about that!
- easy to fix and learn on
- I don't loose sleep over pin-striped paint
- tons of aftermarket parts
- lots of information and how-to's online
- very capable off-road (especially with a few basic mods)

Why the motorhome?
- my family as a whole is more into the "road-trip" aspect of overlanding, not so much the off-roading/winching part (which I like best)
- cheap... at least mine is. I bought it for $3500 USD and it has roughly 50k miles on it.
- heat, space, comfort :)

Reactions: blackntan

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Ive owned landrover 90s , defnders. Love them but its the width that gets me no room and long travel in them for me is uncomfortable , changed to disco commercial spec great but i had pick ups aswell hilux , nissan navaras and isuzu dmax all very capable ive settled on the dmax for my off road and hunting truck , and have made mods to it
The debate on which make etc could run and run but if i had a bottem less pit of wonger LANDROVER 110 tombraider spec Pulling a patriot 3 trailer DREAM & EXPLORE BnT

escape_the_paradigm

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Newark, CA
Member #

I think I own my perfect overland vehicle, Turbo Subaru forester.
It has enough room for two to sleep in, gets 25 mpg on freeway and is fun to drive. It will never be a rock crawler but with a small lift and a good set of tires it will get you to most places and that in my mind is what overlanding is all about.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

This....I couldn't imagine driving anything else. 04 Rubicon (4" lift on 33s) gets me anywhere I want to go and hauling a CDN M101 trailer let's me take everything I need.

IMG_0762.JPG

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

My frontier seems to work pretty good. Having two little ones in car seats the back leaves much to be desired but most capable suv's are limited in the same area... and i have no desire to go back to a fullsize rig. Only other thing is consider is a new 4runner...

jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
I love to many to decide jeep Cherokee with AWD transfer case love the land cruiser with all the lockers but would want an engine swap and the mpg is bad i currently have a disco 1 that I love when it works lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
I love to many to decide jeep Cherokee with AWD transfer case love the land cruiser with all the lockers but would want an engine swap and the mpg is bad i currently have a disco 1 that I love when it works lol

Oh and my next project will be a 1st gen 4Runner forgot that one haha sorry I just love to many different vics