What is your favorite overlanding movie, video, book, story, or inspiration?

• HTML tutorial

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

My favorite overlanding video is "The Long Way Round". This is a documentary of Ewan McGregor and his best mate Charlie Boorman, planning and completing a round the world motorcycle trip. Challenging adventures and inhospitable trails. The amazing irony is completing such a difficult journey only to nearly get run over when they reach the safety of North American roads.

51gprSDaCtL.jpg

My favorite overlanding book is "Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide" by Tom Sheppard and Jonathan Hanson. If there was a bible for overlanding, this would be it.

It was out of print for a while and some early hard copies are going into the thousands of dollars.
They have now put out a 4th ed that can be purchased from the UK for $75
http://www.desertwinds.co.uk/expedition_guide_06.html

4105ZKNB5G.jpg

What is your favorite overlanding movie, video, book, story, or inspiration?

Last edited:

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

"In Clancy's Boots" is a good story.

In 1912 Carl Clancy began an around the world journey on a motorcycle. This book relives that journey in modern times and compares the 2 narratives.

Reactions: OuterLimits

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

"In Clancy's Boots" is a good story.

In 1912 Carl Clancy began an around the world journey on a motorcycle. This book relives that journey in modern times and compares the 2 narratives.
You got me sold with 3 sentences! I'll take a look for it. TR

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Lol. It is a good read.

I got a kick out of his stories of how hard he struggled with the trails/roads out of California. The roads were rough and steep. His 3 speed 12hp bike struggled and he had to push a fair bit.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

It's not overlanding, but the Camel Trophy is probably my biggest inspiration, AND favorite videos to watch:)

I have a 2nd edition of the Vehicle-Dependent Expedition Guide and it is part of my top list. There's also Four By Four Driving by Tom Sheppard and The New Zealand 4 Wheel Drive Handbook by Ken Sibly.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

My favorite is "The Gods Must be Crazy". Not about Overlanding but The Range Rover, "Anti-Christ", features prominently in the narrative.
I had forgotten all about that little gem. I saw that in a little indie film theater in Seattle over 30 years ago. The Rover winching itself up the tree is worth the price of admission alone.

It's not overlanding, but the Camel Trophy is probably my biggest inspiration, AND favorite videos to watch:)
The Camel Trophy was a huge inspiration in my younger days. I don't recall much in the way of TV or videos back then, but every time it was featured on a 4x4 magazine, that rag was going home with me. I would read it over and over till my drooling from the pics ruined the magazine. ;-)

I also enjoyed the LWR & LWD TV series and the one Charlie Boorman went on to do, 'By Any Means'
I just found "By any means" on YouTube. Popcorn time!

Another is Michael Palin's 'Around the world in 80 Days'
This such a sleeper doocumentary. It is slow paced and littered with Palin's dry wit. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wow, looks like I have many months of inspiration and entertainment in my future.

Thanks for the input! TR

Reactions: Tim

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@fugitive

I had forgotten all about that little gem. I saw that in a little indie film theater in Seattle over 30 years ago. The Rover winching itself up the tree is worth the price of admission alone.
I don't remember where I first saw it likely a VHS rental back in the 80's. Funny you mention that scene, as it's sort of pulled out for reference often among a few of us.
"Why is the Anti-Christ up in a tree?"
"I don't wanna talk about it."
...​

Boort

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
Jupiter's Travels. A book by an English guy that went around the world on a Triumph in the '70s. It was an inspiration for Ewen McGregor to do his trip. I think it was what first introduced me to the idea of overlanding. It was years later that I started backpacking and then watched the Long Way Around which got me back into the idea. Got real close to buying a dual-sport.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I love the Charlie Boorman stuff, even though its all bikes. He also did one called "Long Way Down" to South Africa, and he did a "Race to Dakar" which is just amazing to watch, again mostly about bikes, but he did part of the Dakar Rally.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Last edited: