What is your favorite Go-To knife for overlanding.

• HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
excellent knife. had it out on a jobsite years back and my electrician liked it so much, i ended up buying him one as an end of the job present. very hefty and solid
i bought a second one for me that i keep in the console of my truck

1703849494909.png

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

The bottom one is a Marbles 1916 Patented Woodsman my Grandfather gave me when I was a little kid. 108 yrs. old now.
Usually carry the ESEE, Marble stays in the safe or special occasions.F3758609-2AE3-4E59-8E39-9C01D5B40D77.jpeg

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
excellent knife. had it out on a jobsite years back and my electrician liked it so much, i ended up buying him one as an end of the job present. very hefty and solid
i bought a second one for me that i keep in the console of my truck

View attachment 270926
Oooh I like it too, and I like presents ...

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Could not find the 'one' knife for overlanding, The SOG Seal Knife lives in the back of the rig for general camp chores, potential survival needs, and back up self defense option when other methods are not permitted in a given location. Kershaw folding rescue knife lives above our heads in a holster reachable be either of us in case of an accident for cutting seatbelts, breaking glass etc. The Leatherman and S&W folder reside on me as EDC. None of them are overly expensive but all feel good in the hand when using them and get the job done.
1703877364994.png1703877421496.png1703877475308.png1703877575640.png

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I carry a 50 year old,man that was hard to type, Gerber Mk II fighting knife on my belt, it suffered some minor tip damage a few decades back but still does it's job. I have carried it as general-purpose knife for years, cleaning fish, cutting cord creating wood shavings. I have an inexpensive folder that resides in my Discovery all the time for misc use.

Basically on of these, my scabbard died long ago it now resides in kydex sheath.

knife.jpg

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I don't have a favorite go-to knife, but rather a small assortment of pocket knives and multi-tools spread out in my toolboxes, recovery kits, camping gear etc. But for the sake of showing off, I do have a couple "cool" knives.

- AK-47 bayonet back when they still used to let us take war trophies
- KA-BAR with my unit's name and the Master Parachutist Badge and "Stay Airborne"
- Deer bone (I think) knife I picked up at one of the powwows I attend annually

20231229_172433 (1).jpg

BAJA - PRO

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Veronica
Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS-WRYZ566
Could not find the 'one' knife for overlanding, The SOG Seal Knife lives in the back of the rig for general camp chores, potential survival needs, and back up self defense option when other methods are not permitted in a given location. Kershaw folding rescue knife lives above our heads in a holster reachable be either of us in case of an accident for cutting seatbelts, breaking glass etc. The Leatherman and S&W folder reside on me as EDC. None of them are overly expensive but all feel good in the hand when using them and get the job done.
View attachment 270946View attachment 270947View attachment 270948View attachment 270949
I too have had good luck with Kershaw knives with the 8crmov steel.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I spent a few years looking for a Benchmade Bushcrafter 162, finally found one, and it's lived up to it's reputation. Great for splitting wood, starting fires, etc. I also carry a couple Leatherman and Gerber working knives, and a Swiss Army.
IMG_8132.jpeg IMG_8131.jpeg IMG_8133.jpeg

BAJA - PRO

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Veronica
Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS-WRYZ566

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
most times we're just out hiking and traveling light, so i'll wear a small neck knife. just a nice small razor sharp knife on a lanyard that hangs around my neck and under my t-shirt. pretty handy and very easy to carry anywhere without being conspicious

1703948671166.png