What is your EDC Flashlight?

• HTML tutorial

talt2008

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
Member #

I find that the best flashlight is whatever you have that works. I’ve also found that you can spend a ton of money on a flashlight that does the exact same job as a 10 dollar light. Extra batteries are always the key. I keep a couple lights as well as batteries in my truck.
True. Even though the mag light isn't the best light I have, it's always strapped to the roll bar of my jeep in case of emergency... and its "cheap" to replace if someone decides they like it more than I do. Also, I can pick up batteries for it anywhere. Great points!

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Ergon and Graeman

Kardolf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Washington
First Name
David
Last Name
Uthmann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7LZJ
True. Even though the mag light isn't the best light I have, it's always strapped to the roll bar of my jeep in case of emergency... and its "cheap" to replace if someone decides they like it more than I do. Also, I can pick up batteries for it anywhere. Great points!

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
These days, I have about three that I'm rotating through.

1532266583487.jpeg

The light you will most commonly find in my pockets is my Lumintop Tool AAA light (in the middle), usually with a NiMH rechargeable in it. While the battery may not last a long time and it's not the brightest, it does a great job for most of my daily activities, and the size makes it very convenient. If the battery runs out while I am unable to charge, it is easily replaced, since it is just a AAA size.

The next light that seems to make its way into my pocket is the ThorFire TG06S (on the right), which can run on either a 14500-sized Li-Ion or a standard AA battery. Using the 14500, it will do 500 lumens on high mode and can drop down to a moonlight mode as well as having several other modes in between. I like that this light can tailstand, and that the strobe modes are "hidden", since I have never needed a strobe in common use. This light was on sale this week for less than $10 each, so I'm probably going to pick up a few for my toolbox and glove compartment. The set I got has a USB charger for the battery, so I can charge in the car or even solar if I need to.

Finally, on the left, you can see my 4Seven Mini. Compact, bright, tailstanding, it easily hits many of my needs, and when I'm close to home, it's great. The battery is a CR123, which means it's hard to find at grocery stores, which is its greatest downfall.

I have lights scattered around which may get grabbed at anytime. I was buying some cheap AA focusing lights that stuff in gloveboxes and toolboxes, but that ThorFire really outdoes them, so some will probably be replaced soon. I have an SOG Dark Energy DE-07 in my drivers door, and well as a Big Larry that is a great light to use to work on my 4Runner. There is an Olight that sits in my jacket pocket which means it doesn't get used for the summer, and I have a Zebralight hanging on a hook next to the front door that gets regular use during the winter when I'm chopping and gathering wood for the woodstove.

Sent from my SM-T817T using OB Talk mobile app

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The light I carry at work everyday is the Fenix UC30. 5 brightness settings with the brightest being 1000 lumen. USB charging also. I use it on the #2 setting inside and it goes 3 weeks before I have to charge it. For camping I use one of the Fenix USB recharge headlamps (don't remember number). Keeps my hands free for cooking and carrying things.

Scott

Reactions: Ergon

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I've carried a 4Sevens Pen light Every Day clipped in a cargo pocket on me for six plus years. I like that it uses two AA as I've tried to keep commonality of batteries to keep it keep it simple. I would say no matter what you use or carry on you, at the very lest make sure they use the same batteries across the board as you can.

In my X I always have two headlamps in a pouch with spare batteries (which I actually prefer), and a Maglite mounted by the shifter with filters. Before GPS I used to deliver people and luggage in the dead of night and I would bounce a beam off of street signs in neighborhoods to help navigate.

Reactions: Ergon

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
amazon.com/gp/product/B07S2VK919/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what i carry. At $20 i have been happy with it.

1580716425082.png

Reactions: Outdoordog

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
They're not made any more but I carry a little single AA LED light that Gander Mountain had made for their house brand. It's super bright, small and there's been one in my pocket for almost a decade now.

I lost my first one and bought two more on clearance when they closed but eventually found my first one and it's still the one I carry daily.

20200203_063123.jpg

Square beam:

20200203_063130.jpg

Reactions: Outdoordog

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I have a couple of torches. The issue i have is accessibility to replacement batteries. Theyre few and far between and pricey.

Ive been contemplating the ARB Pureview 800. It is rechargable via USB. Has anyone any experience in this particular torch?

10500070.jpg

I still carry my headtorch which i use rechargable batteries

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Surefire E2D in my work truck has seen 4 hurricanes, 3 tornado's, and numerous storms including Katrina and Irma.

E2D Led is in my personal truck and is three times as bright.

The Surefire E2D holds the record for longest lasting flashlight. All other have been destroyed or lost by now.

Attachments

Last edited:

DBAR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lebanon, PA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Dunbar
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I always have a Streamlight Stylus Pro in my pocket.
Same here, It is only slightly larger than an ink pen and it is very bright. I tend to use it more than any of my other flashlights as well.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I find that the best flashlight is whatever you have that works. I’ve also found that you can spend a ton of money on a flashlight that does the exact same job as a 10 dollar light. Extra batteries are always the key. I keep a couple lights as well as batteries in my truck.
I can agree with this to a point but durability comes at a price. It doesn’t have to be Surefire price but I’m also not carrying a $10 light on my duty belt.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I tend to disagree.

The lights are like any other gear. Sometimes you do get more for the money.

I have weird eyes and the standard cheap led tends to be on the blue side, which hurts my eyes after a few minutes.

So I go for lights that are modified for warmer color and high CRI.

20191119_140752.jpg

20191119_141144.jpg

This one is my most carried light. Prometheus delta. Triple 219c, very warm color and about 800 lumens on turbo. Will run a long time, but I carry a spare or two anyways.
20191108_153926.jpg

Reactions: max.grun