What is you experience on alternators and batteries? Generally, does a factory alternator run everything you need on an adventure?

• HTML tutorial

mgp

Rank 0

Contributor I

NC
First Name
m
Last Name
p
Generally, does a factory alternator run everything you need on an adventure? Just wondering where to begin on building an OL vehicle. I have a Nissan Frontier and just need to know what changes most people make. Then I started thinking about power for lighting and coolers, etc. I welcome everyone's experience and thoughts.

Reactions: Kent R

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have/am using the factory alternator for my truck. My main battery supplies power to my aftermarket stereo system and interior components and 12v accessories and lighting. My main battery also feeds to a secondary engine bay battery for powering auxiliary ditch lights and communication devices. For now, I haven't felt the need to upgrade my alternator. For my refrigerator and other accessories for camping, I have a separate Jackery 500 generator. Plus, I have a solar panel and 3rd solar supported battery.

I guess you might want to give a run down on what your power requirements are and someone could chime in with more specific recommendations for what you're trying to build out?

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
My alternator charges both the main engine battery and the 100 ah house battery with no issues. The engine battery powers everything to do with the vehicle. The house battery powers anything to do with camping like the fridge, lighting, heaters, fans, etc.

Reactions: Drmiller100

WJJEEPIN

Rank II

Enthusiast III

California, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Mitchell
My stock alt ran my aftermarket stereo, amp for sub, Piaa lights and winch. It took a dump after 160k and so I upgraded.

If you are adding things like fridge or external lighting you plan to use during OL while the motor is off then you want to look at a second battery setup, they can 100% be run solely off your stock alt or like above you can add a DC -DC converter that will take the input of a solar setup to charge during the days your parked.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Stock alt. Start battery and 2 group 31 AGMs / 2K Inverter, ton of AC and DC accessories, no issues

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Generally, does a factory alternator run everything you need on an adventure? Just wondering where to begin on building an OL vehicle. I have a Nissan Frontier and just need to know what changes most people make. Then I started thinking about power for lighting and coolers, etc. I welcome everyone's experience and thoughts.
I moved this thread to Overland Vehicle Build Threads

You will get more responses on this page.

Drmiller100

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boise ID
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Miller
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ke7ixe
Pretty much all stock alternators today are north of 100 amp. That is a bunch and more than enough to charge batteries faster than they want to be charged. A 100ah lead acid battery is going to take 4 hours minimum to charge if it is pulled down a lot. The first hour can br the alternator then solar can top them off.

mgp

Rank 0

Contributor I

NC
First Name
m
Last Name
p
Thanks Everyone! So far the consensus is do not worry about the alternator yet. I may start looking for a place to mount a second battery. And Thank You Kent for your help!