What is overlanding to you?

• HTML tutorial

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I still can't define overlanding when asked; it's just too broad a term. I like going out on my own from time to time. I used to hike and road cycle quite a bit at different periods of my life, and although I do enjoy the occasional group hike or ride, I tend to get the most out of the activities when I went out on my own. I know how this might come off, but I don't want to be tied to someone else's schedule and availability or their pace. I want to stop and go as long as I choose. As for overlanding, or as I describe it to my friends, "sleeping in my car" or "car camping", it gets me away from the crowds for some period of solitude, and that's what I'm ultimately after. It's harder to get alone time when you have a family and the responsibilities that come with that, but I'm blessed with an understanding wife that seems to know that I need to just disappear for a bit once in a while.

Isn't one of the description of overlanding "vehicle-dependent [something or other]"? "It doesn't matter what you drive, just get out there," is that how that goes? Why have I not seen dual sport riders on this forum? How about mountain bikers who do multi-day, week, month rides through the desert / national forests? I presume they also qualify as overlanders. I'm being a bit facetious but at the same time .... not.

Anyway, have a good day gents (and gals)

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I think Overlanding to me means

Going from point A to point B on non-improved roads.

This being said we have never truly overlanded - as we go to point "A" on lots of highway then go to point "B" camp and then turn round and go back to point A the same way to go home.

Personally day trips off-roading to me is just off-roading or Jeeping.

Just my two cents.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Overlanding is a rather broad term. It is generally accepted as referring to act of exploring the world via automobile. But this just me speaking in generalities. In practice the term is used loosely to describe a wide ranging set of activities. In my mind Overlanding is not about what you drive but it is about a journey. It is about exploring the world around you seeking out adventure with the automobile being your chariot. One day one might wish to explore a city or town and the next maybe a mountain range. The point is where you go is irrelevant to overlanding rather it is the journey getting there that matters.

Reactions: Gary Stevens