Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

As of now I reside in the state of California with its wonderful emission regulations. What vehicles can one buy legally in the state of California, this will help me narrow down my search.

- Can you buy a Land Cruiser 40, 60, or 80's series with a diesel or v8 swap?
- Can you buy an imported vehicle?
- Unimog?
- Retired military vehicle?

Thank you for your advice

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

If you want it simple 1975 and older gas or 1997 and older diesel if you want to do whatever you want to your motor or yse any motor you want. If non imported.

Importing into california is a pain. Possible but not easy. Has to be 25 years or older but even then it isnt that easy. If importing talk to a company that does it and they can let you know what is possible.

I wanted a rhd hilux and it came down to importing it to another state. Then finding somebody that has lived there for at least a year and happened to be moving to california. Putting the car in their name and having them register it in CA after the move then transfering it back.

With a bit if paperwork you can swap a newer engine into a non pre 75 car if you say you cant find a stock replacement and it comes out of or is designed for a similar vehicle. Then you get it inspected and you have to meet the stricter of the smog requirements, generally the newest one either the car or engine depending.

Reactions: CCHeath

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

If you want it simple 1975 and older gas or 1997 and older diesel if you want to do whatever you want to your motor or yse any motor you want. If non imported.

Importing into california is a pain. Possible but not easy. Has to be 25 years or older but even then it isnt that easy. If importing talk to a company that does it and they can let you know what is possible.

I wanted a rhd hilux and it came down to importing it to another state. Then finding somebody that has lived there for at least a year and happened to be moving to california. Putting the car in their name and having them register it in CA after the move then transfering it back.

With a bit if paperwork you can swap a newer engine into a non pre 75 car if you say you cant find a stock replacement and it comes out of or is designed for a similar vehicle. Then you get it inspected and you have to meet the stricter of the smog requirements, generally the newest one either the car or engine depending.
Ouch, sounds like a headache. Now I am understanding why so many California's have Jeep Rubicons and Tacoma's.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Also you can swap a motor that is same type (diesel to diesel , gas to gas) same model year or newer. There are some hoops to jump through to get a bar sticker for it but not too bad. Other wise I would say stick to something you know you want that had a decent factory drive train. Welcome to the junky world of trying to mod vehicles on California lol.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

All the vehicles at our place in CA stay registered in TN. Several are permanent tags due to age.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I had to upgrade my small fleet of freightliners just for California.