What in the world is that part on my FJ?

• HTML tutorial

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Old Hickory, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

So when I start my car after long periods of it being off, I get this vibration or almost fan like sound coming from this part. It lasts for about a minute and then goes away. Can't believe how hard it is to find an FJ engine bay diagram online. Anyways...anyone know what part this is?FJ.jpg

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

That is your secondary air pump. It helps bring the catalyst up to temp faster to lessen emissions just after startup. It should only run just after startup, for a time determined by the ecu.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Yep... totally normal.

For FJ specific stuff you can always peruse the fjcruiserforums.com .... piles of info there.
It's always tough to search something on a forum when you don't know the name of it though....

Reactions: Cully74

RMackay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Africa
Member #

My FJ definitely does not have one of those, and never had one either. Keep in mind this is a South African spec one. Had it from new although I now have a second battery there now.

IMG_0651.JPG

Cully74

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Old Hickory, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Cullum
Member #

My FJ definitely does not have one of those, and never had one either. Keep in mind this is a South African spec one. Had it from new although I now have a second battery there now.

View attachment 70017
Yeah I ran across some pictures of FJ engine bays where that part was not even there. I chalked it up to different year FJs.

RMackay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

South Africa
Member #

Yeah I ran across some pictures of FJ engine bays where that part was not even there. I chalked it up to different year FJs.
Mine is a 2012 year model. Reckon it’s up to country vehicle standards/specs. Here in SA it’s not unheard of to remove the catalytic converters altogether after a couple years.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

It's different MARKET FJs. Remember that the FJ is available around the world, here you can thank CARB and the EPA for forcing the automakers into so much extraneous equipment required for the US spec emissions. Most FJs outside North America also wont have carbon canisters, evaporative emissions, or secondary O2s to name a few.