What Hobby Gear Do You Wish You Brought, or Had Capacity to Bring?

• HTML tutorial

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
I almost always look around where I'm camped or my general area of travel and wish I could magically have brought a bike, small motorcycle, fishing pole (and whatever state license) and a boat. Fishing pole is the easiest thing to amend my gear list with. After that, it gets way trickier.

Bike requires hitch rack, which I have (for an e-fat bike) but you have to remove it to lower the tailgate of my Ford Ranger. PIA. I suppose the same is true with carting around a small motorcycle, which I wouldn't do as my wife and dog can't ride on it.

I almost always find myself, at some point of a trip, along a navigable body of water. We own an old inflatable raft and 2 recreational kayaks. I could bring 1 kayak, but my necessary roof top box prevents bringing both kayaks. Canoe, maybe, but my truck canopy crossbars aren't adequate for a two person canoe, I'd need additional rails on my cab. Then there’s paddle storage, probably lifejackets too. My inflatable Sea Eagle 2 raft is probably the most portable and fun enough for some near shore dinking around. I never prioritize packing it though.

The conundrum of enjoying a few different outdoor activities, but being limited by having a nimble rig (mid size truck).

What do you wish you had when you're out and about and at camp?

Last edited:

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I plan as best I can for whatever the goal is. On my most recent trip I knew the group wanted to fish, so I brought a pole. If I'm headed somewhere that has a great kayaking opportunity, sure I'll strap up the kayak. But I'm not carrying all that around just because it MIGHT happen.

One future purchase I would like to make is a disk golf set. When I drove cross-country to Moab we brought my friend's bag of disks and stopped at courses in a few different states, it was a hell of a time and a great way to get out and stretch on a long trip.

Reactions: Lazynorse

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

With our hobbies that include camping, hiking, boating, biking, kayaking, scootering, shooting, metal detecting, exploring, treasure hunting, We will mix and match depending on where we plan on camping and how long. 11EDB754-61CF-48A6-A4E6-5BDD84C59712.jpeg4406F5D5-4862-45BA-8F65-37CCC1F31A85.jpeg32C2E094-E38E-4295-AFDC-DC13FF2C066C.jpeg4EEC5A31-9433-4523-800D-46404407D63D.jpeg0E0A63E7-FECD-455E-B8AF-49F28C93D131.jpeg0225440D-7F38-4498-BEB8-D15DFB543C50.jpeg If we are near water we almost always take the skiff, Everglades, Keys, just about every ramp in Fl.. Lakes like Fontana, Watauga, Jocassee, Harris in the Smokys. and many more. The Yamaha Zuma Scooter comes in handy exploring back roads, running for supplies, cruising the Keys and Key West. Bikes if there are going to be lots of bike trails, Kayaks for the backwater exploring, Silver River.
The Van has all the comforts of home for Base Camp…….AF1272E6-09B5-4B1A-B2E3-461DCC3A6EAE.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ontos and Lazynorse

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We would really like to be able to bring a telescope. Something like this one. Maybe Santa will drop one down the chimney, then, I’ll figure out a way to pack and transport safely