What happened to Red Rock Camping Company?

• HTML tutorial

TexTransplant

Rank 0

Contributor I

Just stumbled across some people posting online about these tents, couldn't remember the company's name, but it looks like every trace of them has been wiped from the internet. I figured somebody was going to get upset that they were a near exact copy of Oztent setups, but I can't find anything online anymore.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If they were Red Rock was making knockoff clones of Oztents, then good riddance. If Oztent out-sourced to a company that decided to sell off-brand knockoffs on the side, then Oztent did it to themselves.

TexTransplant

Rank 0

Contributor I

If they were Red Rock was making knockoff clones of Oztents, then good riddance. If Oztent out-sourced to a company that decided to sell off-brand knockoffs on the side, then Oztent did it to themselves.

Pretty sure they had no affiliation with Oztent, they look like absolute blatant copies, I'm just curious if they just folded up shop or were forced out of business to avoid legal action

Reactions: Old Tanker

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Pretty sure they had no affiliation with Oztent, they look like absolute blatant copies, I'm just curious if they just folded up shop or were forced out of business to avoid legal action
Agreed, but my point was that Oztent may have outsourced to a Chinese manufacturer, who in turn sold re-labelled clones with Red Rock labels to Red Rock. Sharing your IP with a CHICOM company is the equivalent of leaving your car running while you go into a 7-11 at night - don't expect sympathy when a theft follows.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Agreed, but my point was that Oztent may have outsourced to a Chinese manufacturer, who in turn sold re-labelled clones with Red Rock labels to Red Rock. Sharing your IP with a CHICOM company is the equivalent of leaving your car running while you go into a 7-11 at night - don't expect sympathy when a theft follows.
yep! may or not be the case, but a great possibility. that is what is called "gray market". years back, sony had cameras made in china and china took their EXACT copy and sold them around the world. new york city was notorious for shell companies importing the fake sony cameras and selling them for cheaper. even rolex watches have been copied, including the sweeping hand that was originally a patented swiss design that wasnt easily duplicated until china got making them. that has been going on for many years. there are NO intellectual property rights when it comes to china and a lot of items on amazon are now falling to that. even fake haircare items are a big problem now where people are spending $70 for a name brand item and getting the fake that is made with chinese sewer water. its a mess out there dealing with fakes and knock offs...

not to derail the tent thread...just make sure to pay really close attention when buying things, especially expensive things that are being sold for cheaper somewhere

Reactions: Old Tanker