What happened to all the true adventurers?

• HTML tutorial

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Cruise ships dump thousands of tourists a day into Venice. They take the requisite selfie in St. Mark's square and gaze at the gondolas; mill about for a few hours and then back to the ship.

Have they been to Venice? Technically yes, and they've got the all important pictures to prove it, but in reality, no. It's a touristic hit and run job.

It shouldn't be a surprise that some like to outfit but not really explore. YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and their corresponding views, subscribers, followers/friends and likes really are drivers in some people's lives.

I don't have a solution for this. It does sadden me.
Why do you care if someone takes a selfie in Venice and hops back on their cruise ship? If it makes them happy, who are you to say it's wrong, let alone needs a solution? Live and let live.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Why do you care if someone takes a selfie in Venice and hops back on their cruise ship? If it makes them happy, who are you to say it's wrong, let alone needs a solution? Live and let live.
I don't believe he is saying it's wrong, but that it happens, and is just an example of where else it happens in the world in addition to overlanding. I don't see his post as trying to be argumentative.

JeepBounder

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Prescott, AZ
Member #

"Overlanding" is becoming commercialized, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. You can keep your eyes on the (off)road and enjoy yourself, or you can get worked up because a 23 year old has more expensive equipment than you. If the author of that article is upset that these "noobs" are using the term "overland", he should get over it and fast. He's probably already lost, as you can sense the negativity seeping into his thoughts more and more as the article went on.

Lately I've been comparing it to the rave scene. I started going to underground parties in 99 when all of the "old school" ravers where already saying it was "over". Events were picking up in numbers, pushing 15 to 20 thousand people at events that used to be small, intimate, and unknown. There was massive resistance, and as a result, the old schoolers didn't instill any of their knowledge into the newcomers because they viewed them as some sort of virus. They grew bitter, and divisive. As a result, the rave scene collapsed and it became nearly impossible to attract more than a few hundred people to an event having to do with "techno" or "rave" music. 10 years later, major corporations coined the term "EDM" (electronic dance music) and began funding massive festivals. Millennials rejoiced - old schoolers continued scoffing. The new "EDM" scene was massively successful, made tons of money, and is still the oversaturated pile of dog shit it became because the newbies didn't have any of the cores values that should have been taught to them by the veterans.

The world's population is booming, and overlanding is something new and fresh that hasn't been ruined yet. The masses are coming. We're nowhere near the level of commercialization and bastardizing it will reach in the future yet. You have two choices - either embrace the new and pass your knowledge down while still having a good time, or be the divisive "keeper of the gate" that doesn't want to share his sandbox. I will say that this community has taught me things I would not have learned if I just built my rig and blasted into the wilderness with my smartphone and social media accounts in tow. I plan to set a good example, and that's all you really can do. Writing finger-pointing and noob-bashing articles like this only set the tone of division for the inevitable influx of new people coming in.
Excellent post.

PolarExpress

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aliana TX
Member #

I can’t believe I read that entire article. He didn’t need to say he was 28, his words, attitude toward others and vast experience said it for him. I know this because I too was a slightly self-righteous jackass when I was 28, it happens to the best of us. Eventually he may learn that, while some got into this early in life, others are late to the party. They may need to be shown where the keg and shitters are and that no, it’s not cool to puke on someone’s cat. There’s always a couple of the cool kids that have been partying like rockstars since their teens that look down on the newbies as posers. Well, they came to the party, the least we can do is show them the ropes, have a good time and make sure they don’t OD on the awesomeness that is this glorious way of life.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

It's funny this is one of the first threads that popped up after I joined the forums this week.

I'm 35. I grew up driving backroads in Alabama, fishing swamps in Florida with my uncles and grandfather, and moved to Nashville 10 years ago and ended my affair with the Pensacola beaches and fell in love with the Tennessee Mountains and Forests.

I've been camping, doing primitive archery (building my own bows to hunt with), fishing, and generally living in the outdoors any chance I get. I light my fires with a flint and steel. I make cowboy coffee. I've never owned a 4x4 until last week. I didn't buy one to look cool or be awesome on social media, I got one because I want to start exploring new trails, I don't want to have to stay at the local campsite just because I'm stuck in a 2wd pickup.

I think that article is ridiculous. I think a 28 year old who isn't Theodore Roosevelt or Bear Grylls doesn't really know their head from that hole three feet down below it, because Lord knows I didn't.

Have fun. Show respect. Don't be afraid to play in the mud. Doesn't seem like a challenge. I am personally looking forward to getting a membership badge and meeting people who can teach me stuff that I don't know.

Seppy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cambon Avenue, Saint James, NY, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Cosentino
Member #

At the end of the day, happiness is a choice. It's also a choice to be unhappy and a choice to block your own happiness with the "noise" created by others. When out exploring, my phone becomes a camera and a clock. The internet is like the radio or the TV. If you don't like what's on, change the channel or turn it off. It's not really worth getting worked up about what others are doing.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
When out exploring, my phone becomes a camera and a clock.
That's great. All the money i have in my camera and lens. What have I been using??? My Phone. Way easier than dragging out the camera bag.

Scott

Reactions: Arailt

Seppy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cambon Avenue, Saint James, NY, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Cosentino
Member #

That's great. All the money i have in my camera and lens. What have I been using??? My Phone. Way easier than dragging out the camera bag.

Scott
That's why it pays for me to get a good phone based on the camera. I specifically use my phone for work purposes, for the same reason. Takes great pics.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I just found this site this week. In fact this is my first post.

I read that article and can half agree with him but he missed the point that I think he wanted to make, or the point I would have made. If you want to have a vehicle that will take you camping in the backcountry and post pictures, who cares? The problem I see are people that want to be Instagram stars and ask how can I get followers. They see "Overlanding" looks cool and that is what they do. They show pictures of there build and all the stuff they buy take a few trips and post videos and pictures. Get followers, then they start getting free stuff from all the vendors. How you have all these followers that think you need all this stuff to go "Overlanding". Just because you have all this cool stuff doesn't mean you also have the skills to keep out of trouble. I was talking to a guy that was in Colorado on the Alpine Loop and got stuck behind a couple that just got a new 4 Runner and Turtleback trailer and was on their first ever offload trip, and first time pulling a trailer. He got hung up on a switchback and caused a huge backup both ways. Took hours to get him out. Stuff like that is what will get trails closed or bans on trailers. When I was a kid we had a 46 Willy and my brothers and I and a few friend would load up and go camping, year round in NW Indiana. We didn't have good sleeping bags for camp kitchen stuff but we had a blast.

So is it a bad thing this all these new people getting into "Overlanding"? I don't know, but it will make it more crowded out there. Someone above said about the crowded North Rim and that he will go to the back country. Well guess where all the people that think the North Rim is to crowded are going? And I admit, I'm to blame too. I'm building an offload teardrop, we put our time in camping in a tent both out of the Jeep and with the KTM 990.

I do have Facebook and that is only so family and friends back home can see what was happening when we moved. I have maybe 40 friends and maybe half I have blocked. I look at it every few weeks. I don't do any other social media. I really hate what social media and smartphones have done to people. I have an iPhone for my work but if I could get a device that would run Gaia and had a camera the size of an iPhone I wouldn't touch my phone over the weekend.

I am not sure about this site yet. I see a lot that I like but also a lot that turns me off. I told my wife I'm going to start a drinking game and have a drink everything is see the word "rig". She told me to do a push-up. I have to keep reminding my self to not drink the "Overland" Kool-aid. And it's hard not to because some of the stuff is so cool but do I really need it? Probably not. I know some peoples hobbies is building out their "ugh- Rig" and thats cool too. I had a friend who's hobby was reload bullets, he liked that better than shooting. Worked out great for me because I liked shooting than reloading. It seems like this site was build around social media, even the numbered badges I find odd. Human nature makes people think that someone with number 2xx is better than someone with 13xx. I sure that wasn't the idea but why do it? And the guy who wrote the article even makes a jab at it. I'm going to spend some time looking around here.

So my take is enjoy camping, Jeeping, Overlanding, what ever you call it and have fun till it's not fun anymore, then find another hobby. But realize at some point you are going to go to your favorite remote campsite in Death Valley and not find a place to setup.

Have a great weekend.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I just found this site this week. In fact this is my first post.

I read that article and can half agree with him but he missed the point that I think he wanted to make, or the point I would have made. If you want to have a vehicle that will take you camping in the backcountry and post pictures, who cares? The problem I see are people that want to be Instagram stars and ask how can I get followers. They see "Overlanding" looks cool and that is what they do. They show pictures of there build and all the stuff they buy take a few trips and post videos and pictures. Get followers, then they start getting free stuff from all the vendors. How you have all these followers that think you need all this stuff to go "Overlanding". Just because you have all this cool stuff doesn't mean you also have the skills to keep out of trouble. I was talking to a guy that was in Colorado on the Alpine Loop and got stuck behind a couple that just got a new 4 Runner and Turtleback trailer and was on their first ever offload trip, and first time pulling a trailer. He got hung up on a switchback and caused a huge backup both ways. Took hours to get him out. Stuff like that is what will get trails closed or bans on trailers. When I was a kid we had a 46 Willy and my brothers and I and a few friend would load up and go camping, year round in NW Indiana. We didn't have good sleeping bags for camp kitchen stuff but we had a blast.

So is it a bad thing this all these new people getting into "Overlanding"? I don't know, but it will make it more crowded out there. Someone above said about the crowded North Rim and that he will go to the back country. Well guess where all the people that think the North Rim is to crowded are going? And I admit, I'm to blame too. I'm building an offload teardrop, we put our time in camping in a tent both out of the Jeep and with the KTM 990.

I do have Facebook and that is only so family and friends back home can see what was happening when we moved. I have maybe 40 friends and maybe half I have blocked. I look at it every few weeks. I don't do any other social media. I really hate what social media and smartphones have done to people. I have an iPhone for my work but if I could get a device that would run Gaia and had a camera the size of an iPhone I wouldn't touch my phone over the weekend.

I am not sure about this site yet. I see a lot that I like but also a lot that turns me off. I told my wife I'm going to start a drinking game and have a drink everything is see the word "rig". She told me to do a push-up. I have to keep reminding my self to not drink the "Overland" Kool-aid. And it's hard not to because some of the stuff is so cool but do I really need it? Probably not. I know some peoples hobbies is building out their "ugh- Rig" and thats cool too. I had a friend who's hobby was reload bullets, he liked that better than shooting. Worked out great for me because I liked shooting than reloading. It seems like this site was build around social media, even the numbered badges I find odd. Human nature makes people think that someone with number 2xx is better than someone with 13xx. I sure that wasn't the idea but why do it? And the guy who wrote the article even makes a jab at it. I'm going to spend some time looking around here.

So my take is enjoy camping, Jeeping, Overlanding, what ever you call it and have fun till it's not fun anymore, then find another hobby. But realize at some point you are going to go to your favorite remote campsite in Death Valley and not find a place to setup.

Have a great weekend.
I agree with you about social media and smartphones. Its just too much stimulation with no real human contact.

Reactions: Haminacan

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I have an iPhone for my work but if I could get a device that would run Gaia and had a camera the size of an iPhone I wouldn't touch my phone over the weekend.
Welcome to Overland Bound, take what you need, learn what you don't know, teach others like you did in this post. You can purchase a used iPhone 6, now that the 8's and 10's are released. Then purchase a "Data Only" SIM, no phone - but 4G LTE for Data, Gaia WiFi signal, great camera... Just a thought.
David & Linda

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckoverland

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

In general I agree, social media is twisting overlanding into something completely different from what it really is. I've viewed a number of these videos and have to seriously wonder if they really know what Overlanding is or does they desire for fame and glory overwhelm what they do. The first that comes to mind was entitled "The ultimate overland rig". It was some old Dodge pickup with a bunch of camping gear thrown in the bed. It may be his ultimate rig but I wouldn't say the title applies to everyone. The latest was "What makes Overland Expo great". After five minutes of watching people come up to this person saying "I am your biggest fan . . . " I shut it off. That may be what is great about Expo for you but many others would disagree. With all of these videos I have to ask, what are you doing that is overlanding? With all the talk about yourself, your gear, and your rig, where is the exploring? With 4, 5 or 8 hours a day dedicated to video editing, and the associated time finding a WiFi spot and up loading, how much are you really exploring?

But its not just Facebook, Instagram, or even Youtube, its also forums. I had one guy tell me he has been an overlander for 20 years because he goes to the same National Forest, camps in the same campsite, and wheels on the same trails each of those 20 years. When we first learned about Overland Journal and Overlanding, we saw the foundation of Overlanding was Explore. We had done the camping thing, the travel, and the off roading, but we didn't go into this saying we already do this. We went in to this saying we are new and need to learn what it is. I have heard few people in forums say that so I have to wonder if they really know what Overlanding is. Over the years we continue to learn about Overlanding, finding out about other Overlanders, and refining our version of Overlanding. What we have learned from other Overlanders is;

1. What road, trail, or path you take is determined by what you want to explore. If you watch people like Expedition Overland, 80 to 90 percent of what they drive on is paved roads. Yes, remote locations normally means driving on dirt but driving on pavement does not exclude someone as an Overlander. Hell, when was the last time you got out of your vehicle and walked through the woods to see something?

2. Camping doesn't make it Overlanding. Every single Overlander I have heard, seen, or read about has stayed in a hotel. Some are out of necessity, no camping available in the area, or severe weather, or for personal security. Some stay simply out of desire, hot shower. I've seen in forums where people try to say staying in an established campgrounds is not Overlanding. Bull.

3. Exploring the people of an area is an important part of Overlanding. I am sure most everyone in this forum has seen the Expedition Overland videos. How many towns did they stop in and talk to the people, explore the town, and learn about its history? That isn't just an Expedition Overland thing, most of the top end Overlanders make a point of stopping in towns and meeting people. Most of them say the best way to learn about an area is through the food. Adventure is about getting out of your comfort zone. The best way to get out of your comfort zone is to meet someone who you don't know, who is different from you, who has a different view of the world, and eats different foods than you.

One of the few video series I like to watch is Andrew White (4xOverland). In one video he talks about the pros and cons of forums, pointing out there is a lot of experienced people in them with good information but there are also a lot of self appointed experts who provide information that only leads to failure. These are also the same people who try to twist what Overlanding is to mean only what they do. Its not a new thing, they are in almost every forum. In the Jeep community it started out years ago with "its not a real Jeep if it has square headlights". Now they have gotten all the way down to which color determines what a real Jeep is. "You are not a true Overlander if . . . " If you read this in a posting, run!

For anyone new to Overlanding the first question is always, what is Overlanding. Its an individual thing to start with so its meaning is largely up to you. Overlanding, originally termed Touring in South Africa, is "vehicle dependent travel to remote locations where the journey is the destination". Vague, yes. Its so vague that it would include the old retired couple in a Class A visiting Russel Cave National Monument to the prepper looking for a new place to hide in the woods. A global Overlander on a three year expedition is just as much an Overlander as the young couple in a Kia Soul on an overnight to the nearest National Forest. Who determines who is an Overlander or what makes it Overlanding? No One. The problem with forums is we have too many self appointed experts who seem to think they are the governing body of the hobby, and their self glorification is far more important than the hobby.

The biggest thing I have seen on Overland forums is people saying, when they claim to be an Overlander, that they have been doing this for years. If your idea of adventure is only wheeling in some forest or camping in some woods, always far from other people, that's all well and good. The problem, just as with new Overlanders watching the Youtube glory seekers, starts when these people push their view of Overlanding and the newbies get a distorted opinion of what Overlanding really is. Some people in the forums are just as bad as the Youtube glory seekers, spreading their limited view of Overlanding like the gospel Some even go as far as saying they are so disgusted with the present state of Overlanding that they no longer call them self an Overlander (as if they are above everyone else in the hobby).

Advise to the newbies; As with everything, there are some good people on the forums that do provide good information and who honestly want to help new people. Take the time to find them.

Richard Hartman 96

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Hartman
Member #

In general I agree, social media is twisting overlanding into something completely different from what it really is. I've viewed a number of these videos and have to seriously wonder if they really know what Overlanding is or does they desire for fame and glory overwhelm what they do. The first that comes to mind was entitled "The ultimate overland rig". It was some old Dodge pickup with a bunch of camping gear thrown in the bed. It may be his ultimate rig but I wouldn't say the title applies to everyone. The latest was "What makes Overland Expo great". After five minutes of watching people come up to this person saying "I am your biggest fan . . . " I shut it off. That may be what is great about Expo for you but many others would disagree. With all of these videos I have to ask, what are you doing that is overlanding? With all the talk about yourself, your gear, and your rig, where is the exploring? With 4, 5 or 8 hours a day dedicated to video editing, and the associated time finding a WiFi spot and up loading, how much are you really exploring?

But its not just Facebook, Instagram, or even Youtube, its also forums. I had one guy tell me he has been an overlander for 20 years because he goes to the same National Forest, camps in the same campsite, and wheels on the same trails each of those 20 years. When we first learned about Overland Journal and Overlanding, we saw the foundation of Overlanding was Explore. We had done the camping thing, the travel, and the off roading, but we didn't go into this saying we already do this. We went in to this saying we are new and need to learn what it is. I have heard few people in forums say that so I have to wonder if they really know what Overlanding is. Over the years we continue to learn about Overlanding, finding out about other Overlanders, and refining our version of Overlanding. What we have learned from other Overlanders is;

1. What road, trail, or path you take is determined by what you want to explore. If you watch people like Expedition Overland, 80 to 90 percent of what they drive on is paved roads. Yes, remote locations normally means driving on dirt but driving on pavement does not exclude someone as an Overlander. Hell, when was the last time you got out of your vehicle and walked through the woods to see something?

2. Camping doesn't make it Overlanding. Every single Overlander I have heard, seen, or read about has stayed in a hotel. Some are out of necessity, no camping available in the area, or severe weather, or for personal security. Some stay simply out of desire, hot shower. I've seen in forums where people try to say staying in an established campgrounds is not Overlanding. Bull.

3. Exploring the people of an area is an important part of Overlanding. I am sure most everyone in this forum has seen the Expedition Overland videos. How many towns did they stop in and talk to the people, explore the town, and learn about its history? That isn't just an Expedition Overland thing, most of the top end Overlanders make a point of stopping in towns and meeting people. Most of them say the best way to learn about an area is through the food. Adventure is about getting out of your comfort zone. The best way to get out of your comfort zone is to meet someone who you don't know, who is different from you, who has a different view of the world, and eats different foods than you.

One of the few video series I like to watch is Andrew White (4xOverland). In one video he talks about the pros and cons of forums, pointing out there is a lot of experienced people in them with good information but there are also a lot of self appointed experts who provide information that only leads to failure. These are also the same people who try to twist what Overlanding is to mean only what they do. Its not a new thing, they are in almost every forum. In the Jeep community it started out years ago with "its not a real Jeep if it has square headlights". Now they have gotten all the way down to which color determines what a real Jeep is. "You are not a true Overlander if . . . " If you read this in a posting, run!

For anyone new to Overlanding the first question is always, what is Overlanding. Its an individual thing to start with so its meaning is largely up to you. Overlanding, originally termed Touring in South Africa, is "vehicle dependent travel to remote locations where the journey is the destination". Vague, yes. Its so vague that it would include the old retired couple in a Class A visiting Russel Cave National Monument to the prepper looking for a new place to hide in the woods. A global Overlander on a three year expedition is just as much an Overlander as the young couple in a Kia Soul on an overnight to the nearest National Forest. Who determines who is an Overlander or what makes it Overlanding? No One. The problem with forums is we have too many self appointed experts who seem to think they are the governing body of the hobby, and their self glorification is far more important than the hobby.

The biggest thing I have seen on Overland forums is people saying, when they claim to be an Overlander, that they have been doing this for years. If your idea of adventure is only wheeling in some forest or camping in some woods, always far from other people, that's all well and good. The problem, just as with new Overlanders watching the Youtube glory seekers, starts when these people push their view of Overlanding and the newbies get a distorted opinion of what Overlanding really is. Some people in the forums are just as bad as the Youtube glory seekers, spreading their limited view of Overlanding like the gospel Some even go as far as saying they are so disgusted with the present state of Overlanding that they no longer call them self an Overlander (as if they are above everyone else in the hobby).

Advise to the newbies; As with everything, there are some good people on the forums that do provide good information and who honestly want to help new people. Take the time to find them.
As a newb, this is literally my first post on this forum, I am grateful for RescueRangers post. I just joined, I know nothing except I have a very enthusiastic friend that I haven't seen in years and he told me about OverlandBound. I was nervous until this post. I'm good now.... there are "those experts" in everything and try to ruin it. I just had to be reminded. Hopefully I will actually make it outdoors soon. RescueRanger - member #0675 - a guy who is honestly helping new members. Thank you

Reactions: Davesax36

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
28 years old, won't post his name, and has owned 12 trucks in the last 6 years? Really? I call bullshit. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, have your own fun, let everyone live their own lives.

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

For a lot of people who call themselves a "community" yall sure do judge people more than i had hoped. Most of us are here for the same reason, which is the love of exploring/travelling/nature/and dare i say overlanding. Who cares what others peoples definitions of the words are. If thats what they do, then let them do it, theyre not trying to push their opinions on you and you shouldnt push yours on them. Im 28, i dont consider myself a millenial, ive done 3 tours to serve my country, ive owned over 30 vehicles in 10 years, and i love driving my jeep in the woods and have been doing so for quite some time.. does that make me a self righteous asshole?

Live YOUR life

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
With the advent of social media and the internet, everything has changed. Being almost 70, I have a different take on life than the latest generation.

I am far from a Ludite. I grew up on a farm 20 miles from a small town in the middle of the mountains of Colorado, with a crank telephone and no TV. We had to make our own fun. There was nothing to turn on to entertain us. I walked down to the creek and fished. I tied my own flies. I designed and built my own toys. We cooked from staples and grew what we could at that elevation. Do I feel like I lived a deprived childhood. Hell no.

The internet has dumbed down our society. I am an engineer. Back in the day, if you were an electrical engineer, you became good friends with Maxwell and learned how to design things from scratch. Today, engineers buy boxes and modules and put them together, without understanding what is inside and what makes them work. When their compilation of boxes don't work, they blame the boxes. Few engineers can design what is inside the box anymore. This scares me. I make a ton of money because I still design what is in the boxes. Everybody wants to do engineering or software, but they never learn the underlying basics. We end up hiring many of our high power RF engineers from Eastern Block countries because they can't afford to buy premade boxes and have to do it the old way.

I'm not knocking the younger generation, but are worried that we are slowly losing our core competency.

I say all of this because I see parallels in all facets of our life. How many people can even change a tire, much less unmount it and patch it? We are more interested in how shiny and pretty it is, than how it works or its underlying strength or capabilities. Life in all aspects has become a fashion contest. I have "overlanded" for well over 50 years. We never had cell phones, gps, and many times even a tent. Everybody these days says they want to get back to a simple and less stress recreation, but they carry all the things that make it less simple and more costly with them.

All you need to do overlanding is a vehicle, a bedroll, a trip to the grocery store, and some gas. We wheeled all the hardest trails in Colorado on 31" tires, but now everybody thinks that you have to have 35" tires to even get off the pavement. I admit that the conveniences make things more comfortable, but we work so hard on making sure we are comfortable that we never actually get out and explore.

If that is what every body wants, I have no problem with it. I just grieve their loss in the simple things.

I know I will get some hate mail because of the conveniences I have. My rigs are self designed and built on a very small budget. That is a process I enjoy as much or more than actually getting out and going. I can honestly say I have spent more nights sleeping in the back of my Jeep than I have my trailer. I am forced to travel for work so I get to spend very little time in the mountains or on expeditions. I hope to retire in a couple of years, and then only check in at home every month or so to pick up my mail.

I will step off of my soap box now.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Few engineers can design what is inside the box anymore.
Hit that one on the head. I started school to get my Electrical Engineering degree. Life got in the way and I had to stop going to school. 40 years later I now have my Mechanical. I always needed to know how exactly everything worked. Now that I'm semiretired, I attempt to teach the latest generation (18-25 ish) automotive from how to change oil to basic engineering. Out of 100 students I may get 20 who actually care how things work. Some cant do basic math and cant figure out how to use the calculator on their phone. "Guys, It's 4 digit decimal or milimeters" "It's not that hard". Sigh. As time goes on, were losing our craftsmen.

How many people can even change a tire, much less unmount it and patch it? We are more interested in how shiny and pretty it is, than how it works or its underlying strength or capabilities
Probably wouldn't be surprised to know how many people don't know where their jack is, let alone use it. I'm all for ascetically pleasing. I try to build my toys to look good and function. But function first.

Jumping off my soap box too.
Heh...how many people actually know where that term came from?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I'm not knocking the younger generation, but are worried that we are slowly losing our core competency.
Preach it brother!

I grew up on a remote ranch. Remote enough that we did not get electricity until I was six years old. And it took 19 poles to get it it to us when we finally got it.

Roads out to there were pretty dicey. If floods washed out the river crossing it could be weeks before we could get through.

Anything that had to be done we had to figure out how to do it ourselves. Figuring out creative solutions was SOP.

I will add that we are currently homeschooling because we don't see the school systems teaching children how to actually think. Or, even more fundamentally, to even see.

I have friends who bring problems to me because they know I bring a substantially different perspective to the table. I would say it all comes down to the ability to see. In order to see you must have a grasp of what you are looking at. If it is a black box, then you might as well be blind. BTW, this has much to do with why I believe folks need to do their own wrenching. If you really know your vehicle then you can spot problems before they turn into issues.

I worry about our future. Especially the degree of dependence which has been made acceptable. Everyone brags about how lean their processes are, but I know of no one who places priority on robust systems which can withstand breakdowns on both the inside and outside. Independence has practically become a dirty word. Eking out the last penny today is more important than ensuring survival down the line. It is going to be painful when those chickens come home to roost.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

With the advent of social media and the internet, everything has changed. Being almost 70, I have a different take on life than the latest generation.

I am far from a Ludite. I grew up on a farm 20 miles from a small town in the middle of the mountains of Colorado, with a crank telephone and no TV. We had to make our own fun. There was nothing to turn on to entertain us. I walked down to the creek and fished. I tied my own flies. I designed and built my own toys. We cooked from staples and grew what we could at that elevation. Do I feel like I lived a deprived childhood. Hell no.

The internet has dumbed down our society. I am an engineer. Back in the day, if you were an electrical engineer, you became good friends with Maxwell and learned how to design things from scratch. Today, engineers buy boxes and modules and put them together, without understanding what is inside and what makes them work. When their compilation of boxes don't work, they blame the boxes. Few engineers can design what is inside the box anymore. This scares me. I make a ton of money because I still design what is in the boxes. Everybody wants to do engineering or software, but they never learn the underlying basics. We end up hiring many of our high power RF engineers from Eastern Block countries because they can't afford to buy premade boxes and have to do it the old way.

I say all of this because I see parallels in all facets of our life. How many people can even change a tire, much less unmount it and patch it? We are more interested in how shiny and pretty it is, than how it works or its underlying strength or capabilities. Life in all aspects has become a fashion contest. I have "overlanded" for well over 50 years. We never had cell phones, gps, and many times even a tent. Everybody these days says they want to get back to a simple and less stress recreation, but they carry all the things that make it less simple and more costly with them.

All you need to do overlanding is a vehicle, a bedroll, a trip to the grocery store, and some gas. We wheeled all the hardest trails in Colorado on 31" tires, but now everybody thinks that you have to have 35" tires to even get off the pavement. I admit that the conveniences make things more comfortable, but we work so hard on making sure we are comfortable that we never actually get out and explore.

If that is what every body wants, I have no problem with it. I just grieve their loss in the simple things.

I know I will get some hate mail because of the conveniences I have. My rigs are self designed and built on a very small budget. That is a process I enjoy as much or more than actually getting out and going. I can honestly say I have spent more nights sleeping in the back of my Jeep than I have my trailer. I am forced to travel for work so I get to spend very little time in the mountains or on expeditions. I hope to retire in a couple of years, and then only check in at home every month or so to pick up my mail.

I will step off of my soap box now.
Hate mail? Ha! I wish I could like this more than once. Well said!