Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Always loved camping, being outdoors exploring new places. Being in IT i really need to unplug from it all. Always been a car guy from modding my mustangs to my fully built 5.3 stroker Mercury Marauder the one car in the stable I left alone was the 2500 Suburban. It's been a good truck and felt it was time to really make it into a capable adventure mobile where me and my son can enjoy the outdoors together and maybe bring along my daughter and ...Wife on our adventures. I am glad I hung onto it almost sold it a few times just couldn't pull the trigger since buying it new in 2003.

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

It all started for me when I turn 16 and got my driver's license. The first thing I did was grab my friends and head out on the freeway without a destination in sight. The idea was to randomly pick roads and see where they let us. The first trip, we ended up in Arrowhead California in the mountains and we had a wonderful time. We traveled on the cheap, eating canned food and loving every minute of it. From that point on it expanded into desert then further into Southern Baja. I've been traveling like that ever since. I just got back from a two-week trip to Peru where we flew into Lima without a reservation or a destination and found herself having the time of our life. Let the adventure lead you.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

It all started for me when I turn 16 and got my driver's license. The first thing I did was grab my friends and head out on the freeway without a destination in sight. The idea was to randomly pick roads and see where they let us. The first trip, we ended up in Arrowhead California in the mountains and we had a wonderful time. We traveled on the cheap, eating canned food and loving every minute of it. From that point on it expanded into desert then further into Southern Baja. I've been traveling like that ever since. I just got back from a two-week trip to Peru where we flew into Lima without a reservation or a destination and found herself having the time of our life. Let the adventure lead you.

My off-roading experience started with a two-wheel drive Toyota where I started to learn the art of paying attention to the softness of the ground. I learned a lot about getting stuck and unstuck and after a extremely difficult I'm on a sand dunes near Gonzaga Bay I learned the necessity of caring a high-lift jack and handmade maxtrax made out of 4 by 8 sheets of plywood.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I did a lot of flying in airplanes as a kid. Most of that was flying around the Southwest and I spent a lot of time staring out the window at all the dirt roads and wondering where they went. Now I'm an adult and spend a lot of time looking at Google Earth wondering where the dirt roads go.

I just like to explore and look around.
Google earth is a huge free resource for exactly that, researching and planning routes etc.
I find the planning almost as much fun as the trip.
Both of us love modern and ancient history something which is abundance here in Cyprus.
So I scroll google earth for abandoned villages from 1974 troubles and search them out or Crusader castles, Venetian bridges and roman towns.
It's all there if you look for it and makes a great day out or couple of days.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'm the middle child and growing up was always a loner, so I frequently rode my bicycle to areas I could explore.

Both my wife and I have jobs with loads of people contact, so, solitude is what we prefer. We have worn out "camping" in designated campgrounds.

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

I remember being a kid and going on all kinds of shooting and fishing adventures with my dad in his 94 toyota pickup. We always had such an amazing time exploring back roads, reabing maps, and just enjoying the great outdoors. Then he got into a terrible car accident and totaled his back and his beloved pickup. With his back broken our adventure days were through. Although we could no longer adventure in the PNW forest, I still found myself playing "adevnture" with my hot wheels and rc cars, driving through the mud and rocks from one end of my back yard to the other, pretending I was looking for the perfect camping spot for my bug "passengers" to spend the night. Fast forward about 10 years to when I got my drivers licence. My father surprised me with a 99 toyota 4runner, I adventured with that for a while, exploring backroads in my hometown, until I was forced to trade it in for a fuel efficient corolla when gas prices skyrocketed to over $5 a gallon. Fast forward a few miserable adventureless, 4runnerless years and I just couldn't take it anymore, I needed adventure. I found a 2000 4runner 4x4 with only 100k on the odo and a rear locker. I was sold, and it's been history ever since. Since then I haven't stopped exploring, my dad through lots of surgeries and physical therapy and finally adventure again! He just bought a 2017 Sr5 4Runner and we go shooting and adventuring in the cascade mountains with our rigs about every weekend. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Google earth is a huge free resource for exactly that, researching and planning routes etc.
I find the planning almost as much fun as the trip.
Both of us love modern and ancient history something which is abundance here in Cyprus.
So I scroll google earth for abandoned villages from 1974 troubles and search them out or Crusader castles, Venetian bridges and roman towns.
It's all there if you look for it and makes a great day out or couple of days.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Cyprus, it's a beautiful place.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

For me it was camping with family and friends as kids. My parents took my brother and I camping at least once a month. We took three seperate 2 week trips from the Bay Area to North of Vancouver, BC by vehicle, never staying in a hotel. As we got a little older our trips turned into backpacking trips. Backpacking is still one of my greatest pleasures but sometimes I just do not want to put in physical effort and want a few more luxuries. I have always owned four wheel drivers (since I was 18). Solitude away from stuctures, roads and sometimes people is my church, so overlanding it is.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Camping and exploring have been a part of my life since I was in diapers. Started riding motorcycles at 10 and racing off road motorcycles in the SoCal desert at 16. Started Adventure riding MC's and have done several trips along the Mojave Trail and off road to the Grand Canyon and back. Health concerns are telling me to sell the bike and just got a Subaru Outback as an overlanding / adventure vehicle.
DSC_4148.JPGIMG_2207.JPG Let the build begin.

Everyday

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

For me it was all the overcrowded camp sites and campgrounds I would visit. I had got my truck and started researching remote areas to access and trails others may not know about. That had eventually led me to overlandbound.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

For me it was dual sport and road motorcycle riding. I have completed many trip on and off road on the bike and getting older want a few more luxuries . I have always enjoyed fourwheeling but the short day trips were not satisfying. I love exploring, driving, and being in remote places and hope life puts me in a place where I can spend more time on and off the road.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I've always loved camping and going places but it's only now that i have found a concrete purpose to what i am doing. I have two kids that I would like to have the opportunity to see and experience things in a different way before they reach their age where they will detach from us and join the rat race. The hope is that at later point in their life with whatever path they've chosen, they will continue to pull from this experience and help them understand how to balance the importance of things in life. And if it actually worked, they will also hand these over to their kids and so on.

Now seriously, i just like to mod the damn Jeep. j/k

Reactions: Maverick9110E