Investor

Enthusiast II

Orange County, California
First Name
Jorge
Last Name
Vazquez
Member #

I had a hard time not getting KO2's again. I put them on my 4runner at about 25k miles and they are still on it today at 96kish with tread left, not much but still above the wear bars. i will be installing 285s this week and using those left overs for my new trailer build. The biggest complaint i have seen on the KO2's is wet traction. i have not experienced that issue.

Just my .02 and thoughts on the KO2.

Keep your eyes on eBay also. i got my set of 285s from there they are labeled as "Takeoffs" still had the stickers on the tread. i see a lot of new Rubicons around here with them on the stock setup. i'm guessing a dealer in CA is pulling them and putting on MT's of some sort. saved me a few hundred bucks so i'm happy.
My 1st 4X4, I put 285/70R17 on my Silverado, drove through rain and snow. No slipping or lost traction. They work great for me. Yes BFG KO2.

Attachments

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I'm running Nitto Trail Grappler's 35x12.5x20 on my JKU and have had really good use and life out of them. My rig is also my daily for now and I move around pretty much the entire state of Florida with work so I can talk about experience driving both on road and off road on them. They give me a good balance when I'm on the Highway and streets, don't have issues even when its wet. Off road they grip just about everything we handle here in Florida and even have been wheeling in the mountains when were on our overland trips and no complaints. They are not the cheapest set of tires but so far they have given me really good results both on and off the road and would totally recommend them. Not going to lie its a heavy tire even when its not mounted to the rim.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I really like my nokian rockproofs. I've put about 20 k on them and haven't had any issues with them. I ruined my kos and when it came time to by new I looked at the ko2s, priced out in my area cheapest I could find was 1800 for all 4. A few guys on a different forum suggested I look into nokian rockproofs. Priced those out as well and they came to 1200 bucks. They are a little bit noisy, but not like the old wrangler mtrs. They also have a substance like kevlar in the side walls. So I pulled the trigger on those and I've got to say I'm pretty happy with them. They have been great on mud, rocks, sand, but when it comes to snow they don't do very well. Anyway they have been a good tire for me I'll be buying another set when it comes time. First picture is my old kos, second picture is the rockproofs. 20180128_150534.jpg20180318_115830.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I really like my nokian rockproofs. I've put about 20 k on them and haven't had any issues with them. I ruined my kos and when it came time to by new I looked at the ko2s, priced out in my area cheapest I could find was 1800 for all 4. A few guys on a different forum suggested I look into nokian rockproofs. Priced those out as well and they came to 1200 bucks. They are a little bit noisy, but not like the old wrangler mtrs. They also have a substance like kevlar in the side walls. So I pulled the trigger on those and I've got to say I'm pretty happy with them. They have been great on mud, rocks, sand, but when it comes to snow they don't do very well. Anyway they have been a good tire for me I'll be buying another set when it comes time. First picture is my old kos, second picture is the rockproofs. View attachment 124345View attachment 124350
Your tire dealer wont go broke at those prices. Who sold them to you ? What size are they anyway. That Ko2 looks like it been in a fire.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaytperry89

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I bought them at a local tire pros. These are 315/70r17, sadly that's the biggest they get. Lol well those are the old kos, so I'm sure there was some dry rot in the tire. Also played a little too hard in the snow that day. Big o and les Schwab gave me the price of 1800 on the ko2s at my tire size

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I bought them at a local tire pros. These are 315/70r17, sadly that's the biggest they get. Lol well those are the old kos, so I'm sure there was some dry rot in the tire. Also played a little too hard in the snow that day. Big o and les Schwab gave me the price of 1800 on the ko2s at my tire size
I use to love les Schwab but their prices got outrageous and every time someone takes a car in they seem to say it’s gonna need 1500$ in repairs . If you have a discount tire around I would try shopping there next time . DC4F77E0-AE9C-4EF4-B176-777CA17D2C82.png

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I use to love les Schwab but their prices got outrageous and every time someone takes a car in they seem to say it’s gonna need 1500$ in repairs . If you have a discount tire around I would try shopping there next time . View attachment 124469
Discount will also price match if you find the same tire cheaper listed elsewhere which can be quite handy.(ie-amazon)

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Lots of options. I have no brand loyalty but over the last 15 years on 5 different trucks and SUVs, I have stuck with snow rated all terrains of many different brands. I buy the most aggressive I can afford at the time and have been very pleased on and off road. The trick is airing down when appropriate. Both tires below have been through Death Valley trails with no trouble at all (Surprise Canyon, Goler Wash, Mangle Pass, Cerro Gordo up and over, Dedekera Canyon, Reward Mine, etc and behave well on Tahoe snow and open road).
1572568559246.jpeg1572568585045.jpeg

Last edited:

Rick 17Taco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
McCraw
Member #

I just got 5 Goodyear Duratrac Wranglers instead of KO2's..... KM3's are what I want though I must admit but I do a lot of HWY miles between honey holes. These Duratrac tires have a decent aggressive look and should get the mileage necessary for an economic WIN, hehe. I hope anyway

wvjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

WV
First Name
Derek
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8CD
I've been running the KO2's for a couple of years now. I'm going to need to do tires on the Jeep next year and waffling between another set of KO2's in 35x12.5R17 or a set of Cooper STT Pro in 315/70R17.

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I just bought some trail blade A/Ts, they are coming in tomorrow, pretty good price, pretty nice looking. I can't wait to put them on, I'll give you an update once I try them for a bit! They are going on my 2012 jeep liberty.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I just bought some trail blade A/Ts, they are coming in tomorrow, pretty good price, pretty nice looking. I can't wait to put them on, I'll give you an update once I try them for a bit! They are going on my 2012 jeep liberty.
Let us know how you like them.

gungriffin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
K
I will throw out there that Duratracs don't seem to have a strong sidewall. The previous owner of my vehicle had 2 sidewall failures with Duratracs. There have been MANY people at Hundreds in the Hills who have experienced sidewall failures as well.

I am currently running Toyo ATIIs and I like them in most conditions. They have at least a few thousand trail miles. The issue that I have is traction when I am wheeling over any rocks when it is wet or damp is not great. I am also a pretty heavy vehicle at somewhere above 7k lbs. I am looking at the KM3s now. I need something that will cope with the weight of my truck better. I have some minor issues with chunking with the ATIIs as well. Driving as I have has chewed up the outer edge of the ATIIs on almost all 4 corners.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
DT's are a standard tire, with a big chunky tread. Good, but lack the armor or a real MT tire.