• HTML tutorial

Hewhowaits

Rank 0

Contributor I

Douglas county, Wisconsin
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Excluding extreme rock crawling or mud bogging, what tires do you thing perform the best for most on-off road conditions in all weather situations and for technical trails as well. I am about to buy 5 new tires for my LRD2 in preparation for my fall, winter, spring adventures. My trips will be in NM, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Washington, and Organ. I will be on paved roads as little as possible but unfortunately I cant just go anywhere I want so whatever road is available for travel will be what I use in my wonderings.
Lanlubber Jim
I bought a set of 4 Thunderer mudtrac's for under 500$ delivered.

I've got maybe 2000 road miles and probably 500 off road miles on them and I absolutely love them.
Load E 10 ply, 245/75/16 on my 1997 discovery. They ride quiet on the highway at 75, and grip like hell off road.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Which ATX will you buy. I looked at them and they are pretty much the same pattern as my Goodyear tires. My tire dealer said he sells a lot of Generals to people who had previously bought BFG TA's or KO's. You probably made a good choice. I have BFG's on two of my trucks and I had them years ago on my 67 Bronco back in the 80's. I put 60,000 miles on that bronco and never did wear them out. I ended up putting them on a 70 Ford 1/2 ton short bed and got another 15,000 miles on it. before selling the truck. I do maintain my trucks alignments, rotation and balancing which I think is one reason for the good wear longevity of the tires.
I’ve always gotten at least 50k out of a set and then sold them for high dollar, making the new tires cost a lot less.. the last set sold for $400. I’ll be getting the ATX E rated .

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I bought a set of 4 Thunderer mudtrac's for under 500$ delivered.

I've got maybe 2000 road miles and probably 500 off road miles on them and I absolutely love them.
Load E 10 ply, 245/75/16 on my 1997 discovery. They ride quiet on the highway at 75, and grip like hell off road.
What kind A/T, M/T ???

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’ve always gotten at least 50k out of a set and then sold them for high dollar, making the new tires cost a lot less.. the last set sold for $400. I’ll be getting the ATX E rated .
Most all my used tires went on one of my kids cars ! Some go on my car trailer and anything left over is usually used as a spare for someone.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thunderer Trac Grip M/T
Is the official name.
MY ROADS ARE MOSTLY CLAY SAND TOO. When wet they have the texture of s - - -. Under that crap is rocky hard clay. I don't drive a lot on those surfaces but that is what the trails have and my tires are for the paved roads to get to the trails and then need to work on the trails.

Reactions: Hewhowaits

RPilk

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

West Plains, MO, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Pilkington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCV721
having run EVERY major tire brand and AT and MT over the last 40 years.... The winner is fast becoming the BFG KM3, so far the wear is fantastic in 15,000 miles they are down 1/32nd, traction on wet pavement is as good as any AT ever, off-road its a beast on almost every terrain, not as good in deep mud as a dedicated mud tire, I've put this tire places I really expected to have a sidewall puncture or tear, it takes it all in stride... ....

Prior to that BFG KO2 (btw I still run these on my F450),

The old Cooper AT was pretty good for mostly highway traction not so good off-road.

The Goodyear ATS was pretty amazing on snow and wet highway and pretty good mileage sidewalls were not very strong...

Duratracs were great all around tires, but wore terrible short mileage and uneven wear....

Bridgestone- really good highway tire, never had one that didnt have LOTS of puncture problems off-road.....

Cooper SST have had a couple tread separation issues, probably from first runs, would not hesitate to put them on again if I couldnt get KM3.....

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
having run EVERY major tire brand and AT and MT over the last 40 years.... The winner is fast becoming the BFG KM3, so far the wear is fantastic in 15,000 miles they are down 1/32nd, traction on wet pavement is as good as any AT ever, off-road its a beast on almost every terrain, not as good in deep mud as a dedicated mud tire, I've put this tire places I really expected to have a sidewall puncture or tear, it takes it all in stride... ....

Prior to that BFG KO2 (btw I still run these on my F450),

The old Cooper AT was pretty good for mostly highway traction not so good off-road.

The Goodyear ATS was pretty amazing on snow and wet highway and pretty good mileage sidewalls were not very strong...

Duratracs were great all around tires, but wore terrible short mileage and uneven wear....

Bridgestone- really good highway tire, never had one that didnt have LOTS of puncture problems off-road.....

Cooper SST have had a couple tread separation issues, probably from first runs, would not hesitate to put them on again if I couldn't get KM3.....
This is good info for all of us to consider. I will add that I talked to a dealership sales person who was very well informed. He said that all tire manufactures use 2 ply sidewalls on all brands of A/T tires. I don't think I asked him about the M/T sidewalls. He also said the majority of tires makers have 10 ply treads and all have different compounds that match what their advertising the tire to do. Most adds are directed towards the off road aspect which means if driven on pavement the wear will be faster and some tires are just the opposite. So when buying any tire you need to know exactly what the manufacture designed the tire to do for it's best performance. The tire I purchased emphases aggressive shoulders, tractivegroove technology, Mountain snow, with aggressive tread design pattern. They are supposed to perform good in mud, water and snow, dry road gripping power, with low paved road noise, 55,000 mile tread warranty, 18/32" tread depth (that was 3/32 deeper than a BFG A/T tires). The extra tread depth will not give longer life but is designed with softer rubber compound for better grip on hard surfaces and designed longtivity wear, as quoted in the mfg. sales brochure. The tire is a Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT size 265/75R/16 and is 31.7" Diameter and 51 pounds.. List for $174.00 each before discounts, promotional gratuities etc., plus tax, mount and balance @ $18 per tire @ Discount Tire and Big O dealerships.

DISCLAIMER:
This info is just to give OB'ers an opportunity to compare POSSIBLE tire purchases . This is not a recommendation for this tire or the tire dealerships named herein. Happy shopping

Reactions: RPilk

Apdski

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
D
Member #

I dont believe I saw Nitto here so I will put in my 2 cents. I currently have 285/70r17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my JKU. This was the largest A/T I could find that still had a 50k or 60k mile warranty (cant remember which number it is). I also chose them because they were decently light and weren't going to add a bunch of un-sprung weight to my vehicle. I think I have put around 20k on them, mostly pavement as the jeep was my daily. With regular rotation they have worn evenly and stayed balanced. I have used them on gravel, dirt, sand, mud and rock. They perform pretty darn well in all situations except in heavy / wet mud. That is too be expected though, since they are just an AT. Im looking forward to miles to come on these bad boys.

All that being said, my next set of tires will probably be BFG ko2s or KM3s in 315/7-r17.

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

May I offer up the Cooper ST MAXX. Quieter and better road manners that the aforementioned STT Pro, but with better than average off-road grip than many "A/T" tires. The lugs closest to the shoulders dig and clear mud well, and center lugs give great wet traction and help to quiet the ride

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I am running 285/75/16 E Cooper ATPs on my 2001 K2500 8.1L Suburban.
I have found them to be a great all around tire here in the north west Rockies of Idaho. They have held up well on a heavy vehicle so far.
Good road manners and air down well.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

I agree 100%. OB is loaded with a variety of people with different levels of experience. That’s why I joined also, great opportunity to learn. As for myself I’d never claim to be an expert in anything, but being old enough to carry an AARP card I’ve been around the block a couple of times and may have something to offer.
I never claim to be an expert because ex is a has been and a spurt is just a drip under pressure

cgflyer

US East Region Member Rep, MD
Investor

Enthusiast III

Lorton, VA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
McCullough
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Retired
Milestar Patagonia M/T's seem to be the rage and they are what I went with on my new 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 315/75R17 (35x12.5) and I love them. I had BFG KM2 MT's on my JK and loved them too, but these Patagonia are super quiet on road and very smooth, aggressive looking and so far have held up well with almost 7,000 miles on them. I have not wheeled with them yet, but everyone that runs them (even the guy from TrailRecon) says they are super sticky and grab onto everything AND the most important factor for a lot of people is they are cheap compared the BFG/Goodyear/General. I hated the Falken Wildpeak MT that came with my Gladiator. They were loud and a very rough ride. You felt every lug on the road. If you haven't looked at the Milestar Patagonia yet, check them out. I also really like SimpleTire.com, they offer very competitive prices, selection (both name and off brands), fast shipping to your choice of installers with pre-negotiated install prices and are always having sales. I have purchased from DiscountTire before too with good experiences, but my last two sets of tires have come from SimpleTire.

If you just want an AT and not a super aggressive one, I ran a set of Nokian Rotiva AT on my Ram 1500 and loved them. They are a true snow rated AT and I put 75,000 miles on them. A very technologically advanced tire and priced well. SimpleTire is the only place I could find them. They are made in Sweden I think. They have a lot of cool features including tread wear indicators that literally show tread percentage (75%, 50%, 40%, 25%) in the tread as the tires wear.

I didn't read through this whole thread, so hopefully if anyone else talked about these two tires, I am just reinforcing a positive review. If I'm the first to bring them up, TOTALLY recommend checking them out.

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
Milestar Patagonia M/T's seem to be the rage and they are what I went with on my new 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 315/75R17 (35x12.5) and I love them. I had BFG KM2 MT's on my JK and loved them too, but these Patagonia are super quiet on road and very smooth, aggressive looking and so far have held up well with almost 7,000 miles on them. I have not wheeled with them yet, but everyone that runs them (even the guy from TrailRecon) says they are super sticky and grab onto everything AND the most important factor for a lot of people is they are cheap compared the BFG/Goodyear/General. I hated the Falken Wildpeak MT that came with my Gladiator. They were loud and a very rough ride. You felt every lug on the road. If you haven't looked at the Milestar Patagonia yet, check them out. I also really like SimpleTire.com, they offer very competitive prices, selection (both name and off brands), fast shipping to your choice of installers with pre-negotiated install prices and are always having sales. I have purchased from DiscountTire before too with good experiences, but my last two sets of tires have come from SimpleTire.

If you just want an AT and not a super aggressive one, I ran a set of Nokian Rotiva AT on my Ram 1500 and loved them. They are a true snow rated AT and I put 75,000 miles on them. A very technologically advanced tire and priced well. SimpleTire is the only place I could find them. They are made in Sweden I think. They have a lot of cool features including tread wear indicators that literally show tread percentage (75%, 50%, 40%, 25%) in the tread as the tires wear.

I didn't read through this whole thread, so hopefully if anyone else talked about these two tires, I am just reinforcing a positive review. If I'm the first to bring them up, TOTALLY recommend checking them out.
Agreed, just got the Patagonia M/T's this weekend. Put a couple hundred on them so still breaking in but love how they ride and agree they are no worse then the street tires I had before. Some how was able to fit 33x12.50r17 on the silverado with only a 2inch level. No rub at all while driving might have some if it flexes. I think the patagonias are the best bang for buck. They look good, are quiet for an MT, give you great traction and are some of the lowest cost tires you can find.

WalkerTexasRanger

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Idaho
First Name
Chase
Last Name
Choate
Member #

Hey guys, without starting a new thread I have a question for the more experienced guys related to tires.

So for my build I am looking into WildPeak 265/70r17 AT3W or WildPeak 285/70r17 AT3W.

This is my train of thought regarding the two.

The 265 is a 31.9in tire @ $140ea with S and T rating while the 285 is a 33in tire @ $181ea T rating and $206 for S. From what I have gathered the difference between T and S is a thicker sidewall and overall heavier tire correct? Is the extra inch of tire worth the $40-60 more and any idea if the ride quality between the two will be drastically different? It'll be my daily driver but also want to be as capable as possible off road, I initially planned on the 285 but if the 265 will do just as well with being cheaper I may go that route instead. I just want to get a better understanding before dropping the money for a set and regretting it later. Thank you.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Hey guys, without starting a new thread I have a question for the more experienced guys related to tires.

So for my build I am looking into WildPeak 265/70r17 AT3W or WildPeak 285/70r17 AT3W.

This is my train of thought regarding the two.

The 265 is a 31.9in tire @ $140ea with S and T rating while the 285 is a 33in tire @ $181ea T rating and $206 for S. From what I have gathered the difference between T and S is a thicker sidewall and overall heavier tire correct? Is the extra inch of tire worth the $40-60 more and any idea if the ride quality between the two will be drastically different? It'll be my daily driver but also want to be as capable as possible off road, I initially planned on the 285 but if the 265 will do just as well with being cheaper I may go that route instead. I just want to get a better understanding before dropping the money for a set and regretting it later. Thank you.
You could run into tire shops not wanting to mount 285's on a factory wheel if it's too narrow.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You could run into tire shops not wanting to mount 285's on a factory wheel if it's too narrow.
I think all factory wheels on American trucks can run 70 series tires with no problem. 285 has nothing to do with width of tire or wheel, it designates height of the tire. The tire dealer can tell you if they are okay to run.