Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

With proper technique driving over multiple feet is not that hard. Most everything I carry in my truck is to unstuck others. Although on this day I did bury myself to my frame rails and then stall my Warn 12000 with a snatch block trying to continue forward. I'd say the most important thing would be to have the means to keep your vehicle easy to see so no one physically runs into you. For this reason I don't really care for white vehicles living in Colorado image.jpeg

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
... it's not a bad idea to keep a whole roll of flagging tape in your glove box for emergencies. This is handy in the bush too if you get lost - run a bunch of strands in a tree for a possible rescue plane to see you.
If you're really remote, and all other attempts to get help have failed, and you're concerned about your ability to survive much longer,... burn your spare tire! Find an open area, build a campfire, puncture your spare (so it won't explode), and toss it on the fire. They put out huge amounts of black smoke (easily recognizable, by a passing aircraft, as not just another campfire), and they burn forever. It's a last resort, but it can get you rescued when all else has failed.
IMG_4827.JPG
One Additional Note: For less than the cost of a spare tire & rim, you can get an InReach Explorer. Just say'in :-)

Last edited:

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

All depends on where I'm heading... If I plan on being on the pavement the entire time I pretty much bring what is always in the jeep... Winch, recovery tools (snatch block, straps x3, shackles, shovel), hat gloves, heavy coat (Fire Dept. Turn out Coat), axe, full sized shovel, blanket, CB & Ham, a battery jumper (P.O.D.), bag of tools, plus a few I'm sure I'm forgetting. If I'm planning on being off the road in the middle of nowhere... I'll add to the jeep. PullPal, HiLift, a few more shackles, winch extension line, winch line replacement.
For me the most important thing is self recovery. I'd much rather be able to recover myself than have the need to rely on a good Samaritan. That being said, I've only used these tools for helping other out of jams. I'm fairly cautious when I'm out.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Carry the normal recovery gear and if you are going to the snow, ALWAYS plan to get stuck; so pack extra clothes, blankets, food and water. It really depends on the situation: are you stuck deep, are you on a slanted section of the road (make sure to anchor from sliding!) or are you hung in a tree well or pot hole. Each situation is different.

Another thing to think of is yourself: what are you going to wear to get yourself unstuck. Remember your waterproof gloves, good traction snow shoes ( I have fallen on my arse many times) and do you need to have head covering (if you are balding like me, then YES) and so on.

^^Now all this is for the planned excursion. So, if you just slide off the road on a trip to the grocery store, then you will have to improvise and McGyver the situation as needed. Don't panic, make a snow angel and then devise a plan!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

When I first read the title of the thread I thought to myself "f$#king scream and hope someone finds me" and then I realized we were talking about being stuck in snow, in our vehicles.
I just wanted to throw that out there...

Reactions: expeditionnorth

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Winter conditions are with us for many months of the year in Norway, so we are kind of used to it....

Most items listed in the above posts are quite relevant, and sensible to have on-board.

Apart from the usual "recovery and survive kit", which is in the vehicle for this period, I also tend to keep a sleeping bag, even for short country road trips.
Then if you do get stuck, and no recovery options are available, you can keep much warmer staying in the vehicle inside a sleeping bag, rather than just wrap-around blankets.
Have the blankets as well if you can......

And always keep the fuel tank topped-up as much as possible.
You never know when you will need that extras fuel, just to keep you warm and alive.
Use it sensibly - don't run it all the time - then you will have many more hours option still available - top up the heat, then switch off.

As well as a snow shovel, its a good idea to also have a good saw.
You can then cut wood / branches to help you get traction, or build a fire in severe cases.
(have a storm lighter in your survival kit)
Also useful if a tree has fallen over the track - you can cut off a few branches to make your way through - heavy snow can bend and bring down small / thin trees over roads in our area.

The photo below is the standard look for the car every day for many months over here in Norway.
Sometimes you have to clean the car in the morning for school run / work, and once again when you drive home later in the afternoon.
So we tend to always have snow brush with scrapers, de-icer spay, gloves, towel, etc..
Neil AT37 Sirdal Winter.jpg

We also change our tires for the season.
Virtually all of us over here in Norway have 2 sets of wheels for each vehicle.
One set has "Summer / normal" tires for general use (this rubber freezes solid in winter, and acts like a ice-hockey puck - not good for winter conditions)
The second set has "Winter / Studded" tires (softer rubber, different tread, and with metal studs if required).

Reducing air pressure to increase tread footprint can also really help at times and in emergencies...

If you are going onto a remote trail, provide a map and timelines to a friend, who will notify emergency services if you are overdue.

Good Luck.........
Winter is coming soon here !!!

Reactions: ArmyofMike

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I grew up south west of Walden, Colorado. We lived 14 miles from town and 4 miles off the road. I have seen it -62F and we would get over 200 inches of snow a year. This was before cellphones and pretty much before 4wd.

Skill and wisdom is first used to not get stuck. I always carried tire chains, a tow chains, a shovel, ballast/traction sand, high lift, and survival gear. I have never been stuck over night but I have spent 4 or 5 hours shoveling out.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Snow season has started over here in Southern Norway.
Drove to our mountain hytte (cabin) in Sirdal this weekend.

From now on, until Easter (or later) next year, its snow and ice season.........
Need to be prepared to recover myself, or others, from snow and ice situations.

Long-term forecast is a long cold winter ahead, so I expect a lot more snow and ice photos to share over the next few months.

IMG_4429[1].JPG

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Hello All,

Like the title says, if you are driving and get bogged down in snow. What do you do? Assume you are on a actual road, not off road, cell service is spotty at best.

Items you should bring? Dos and Don'ts ?
First and foremost is the safety of my family so I always make sure we have adequate clothing layers and plenty of blankets.

Reactions: LandPirate

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Lots of great suggestions here, one I havent seen yet is if you have to stay in your vehicle; clear your exhaust exit. You can stay warm inside the rig with the heat on but carbon monoxide kills.
Definitely something to be aware of!

(also mentioned in post#15)

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The first thing to do is not to sit and spin your wheels and dig a hole. Getting the vehicle rocking backwards and forwards is basic technique. Once you start moving, don't stop.

Besides carrying emergency supplies, if you are traveling in snow, you should keep some tire chains in the vehicle and ideally put them on before you need them and simply don't get stuck. With multiple vehicles, carry a tow strap and know how and where to connect them.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Practice practice practice. Take the time to go up and drive in the snow , don’t let a sudden snow storm be the place you try and learn . A lot of people I’ve seen get stuck is usually due to lack of experience, to much tire pressure , to much right foot , etc etc .
And as always let people know where you are heading that way if you don’t come back they have a good idea of where to look .
Snow can be a lot of fun to travel in if you know how to drive in it 45BF5F58-9292-4F2C-B6AF-0C5A309C6C72.jpeg