What do you do for insurance on your offroad trailer?

• HTML tutorial

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I built a nice offroad teardrop. I plan to be towing it aroung North America but will not always be tied to it. I am not worried about wrecking it, but they get stolen around here frequently. I called my insurance agent and got a quote for $15,000 of stated value coverage. I was pleasantly surprised. All they wanted was around $60 every 6 months.

What do you guys do for insurance? If your trailer isn't hooked to your vehicle, it isn't covered for accident and even then, it isn't covered for theft.

Reactions: Rubiconcruiser

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I don't own one. But.....

I'm not a big believer in Insurance. They make millions and billions betting "everything is gonna be okay".

And it usually is.

Then they have deductibles, fine print, exclusions and so on. Then they raise your rates if you use them.

I am very under-insured but it gives me the ability to invest in other assets making it less of a big deal if I take a loss once in a while.

Just me.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I look at it like budgeting losses. I don't want to be out $20k if some a-hole steals it. It is worth 10 bucks a month for the piece of mind.

Here in Colorado almost one third of all drivers don't have insurance. It may not be my fault but if they don't have insurance or assets, I am still out the money. On the road, I think they should seize any car found to not be insured.

Reactions: Robert Fullen

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

I have less than $6k in trailer/RTT, so self insure. Cable through wheels/axle/tongue lock. Can still be defeated, but deters the casual pilferer.

bolojohn

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kingman,
Member #

If you use a lock and roll hitch which I highly recommend, you can weld it together so if someone doesn’t have the vehicle end of the apparatus they can’t haul it...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If you use a lock and roll hitch which I highly recommend, you can weld it together so if someone doesn’t have the vehicle end of the apparatus they can’t haul it...

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
If you look at the build thread, you will see I did one step beyond that.

billum v2.0

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flyover Country
Member #

It is mandatory. They simply don't get it.
Any typically don't have assets to attach to if they're at fault. That's why un/underinsured coverage is (relatively) spendy, becoming more and more likely that your coverage will have to cover damage to your vehicle caused by another party.

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
That I why I think they should seize any vehicle found without insurance and sell them off. Maybe that would make more people get insurance. Surprisingly enough, adding collision/comprehensive on my old Cherokee only adds around $20 a month. That will cover everything.

Now on to the other insurance topic. In Colorado, your insurance does not cover your medical if someone else hits you unless you buy un-insured motorist coverage. I have Medicare now so it isn't as big a problem but I have a buddy who lost everything due to a half million in doctors bills due to an illegal hitting him and almost killing him. They didn't even deport the illegal even though he had numerous traffic offenses.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Who did you get that quote thru? I just purchased and the lowest quote I got was thru my vehicle insurance and it was more than that.

S

SubeeBen

I have national general premier insurance for our teardrop rental business & our trailers run $ 8.10 per month with a $ 500 deductible & you can drive our trailer off of a cliff & we are covered 100%. Just my 2 cents. & we are a business so general consumer should be cheaper