what do you carry your tools in? (ideas and pictures)

• HTML tutorial

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

... I do have one question, what does everyone treat their tools with to keep them from rusting? I keep my tools in the back of my truck under the Diamondback cover which stays mostly dry but here in Florida the humidity ultimately causes them to start to rust. Just wondering what everyone has found to work best?
Corrosion X. It's expensive, but if you lay your stuff on a rag, then spray it on, you can keep the rag in a zip lock & use it to wipe your tools down in the future. There are mechanics here that hose their engines/compartments with it. It's pretty good stuff...
I know this is a bit off topic but don't forget to close the doors on yer trailer....

View attachment 135851

30 miles on the highway in a snow storm.....
Your new name is Homer. As in Simpson. At least now you know that everyone honking & waving weren't being weirdos...

Reactions: M Rose

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I use two Bucket Boss tools rolls to store my tools.
IMG_20190317_155725.jpg

In the 'pouch' roll I keep a variety of things:
3/8 Sockets, SAE and Metric
3/8 Deep well sockets, Metric
3/8 Breaker Bar
3/8 Torque Wrench
WD40 and WD40 Silicon spray
Electrical kit (multimeter, wire, fuse, tape)
Tire kit (Colby valve, plugs, patches, cement, buffer)
Butane lighter
Gorilla tape
Zip ties
Vacuum line

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I use a combination of things. I've got a clamshell tool kit that has the basics and then a tool bag from LOWES I keep most of the odds and ends in, this fits in one of the hardsided craftsman totes that are stackable. It's my heaviest box that goes in the Jeep with the Food box being a close second. In a different box I have electrical stuff, multi-meter, strippers, extra wire, connectors stuff like that. Another one has a quart of each fluid I might need plus spare sensors that will keep the Jeep from running, one spare u-joint of each size, a funnel and a serpentine belt.

Last edited:

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

View attachment 135865

3/8 Breaker Bar
3/8 Torque Wrench
Butane lighter
Gorilla tape
Zip ties
Vacuum line
I have that exact same brown BucketBoss tool roll. Seems to be well made and holds a surprising amount. Really affordable, too.

Reactions: KonzaLander

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

This is how I’m currently packing around my tools. I carry a decent chunk of tools everyday with me just because of work so I try and be space conscious as I can to save room for other items. Everything is currently residing in a TruckVault drawer set up in my truck which over all I love way more then the Decked system I originally had. Also have metric and standard sockets both deep and short and complete sets in both 3/8 and 1/2 sizes they’re all sorted in the Milwaukee cases.

IMG_4122.jpg
IMG_4121.jpg
IMG_4120.jpg
IMG_4119.jpg
IMG_4118.jpg
IMG_4116.jpg
IMG_4115.jpg
IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg

Attachments

Dwayne Garner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Huntington, WV, USA
First Name
Dwayne
Last Name
Garner
Member #

I use a Stanley tool bag. It packs down small and prevents things from rattling. Everything in the picture fits in the bag except for the belts, hatchet, hammer, prybar, and black combination wrench.

That is a very practical looking tool kit. I like to keep things as light and compact as possible, looks like you have that down. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: slomatt and Big G

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

View attachment 135865

3/8 Breaker Bar
3/8 Torque Wrench
Butane lighter
Gorilla tape
Zip ties
Vacuum line
That is SO much better than what I have going for the actual hand-tool organization. I also have a RZR so I have an Action Packer that fits into a rack on the back of the RZR:
1579806591733.png
(not mine, stock photo from manufacturer)

Mine is actually configured the other way, cooler more re-ward you can just see it here:
1579806609859.png

Thus far for Overlanding I've just been taking it out of the RZR and throwing it in the WJ (I take out the RZR-specific stuff like the spare drive belts). I also throw a bunch of my Dewalt tools, a 12 ton bottle jack, etc. into the WJ in either another bin, or down in the the footwell of one of the back seats.

As for what's actually in the Action Packer, I have a "Dirt Bagz" in it for the handtools:
1579806696150.png

It's a nice bag, but everything is just tossed in. There's no organization and the tools get beat up pretty badly. I have a similar assortment of tools as you (though no torque wrench) but I also carry small spools of black and red wire and lots of butt-connectors, terminal ends, etc. and wire crimpers. I'm actually a big fan of having these: in the tool kit. I'd say it's been the case that we need to repair wiring or hot-wire something just as often as we need to do a mechanical repair. So all of that goes in the Dirt Bagz, and the bag goes inside the Action Packer.

Then I also throw in my little lithium jump pack, some real jumper cables, a check-ball siphon hose (so you don't have to such fuel... which is no bueno and never seems to work without somebody getting a mouth full), a good assortment of zip-ties (including some really long/heavy-duty ones), Colby valve stem, tire plug kit, some ratchet straps and probably some other junk I'm forgetting.

I'm about due for a re-inventory and re-organize session on the tool kit. Oh, and I also throw in one of these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/1000642747 (that might not be the exact one). I scored it during a 50% off sale so I actually grabbed a couple. One to keep in the WJ and one for the 5th Wheel. Between what's in that kit and what's in the kit from the RZR I have a fighting chance at fixing most anything. The biggest difference with the WJ is I need more, bigger tools. So I added more large combo wrenches (making sure I have 2 of the sizes that fit the jam-nuts and such on my suspension and steering components) as well larger crescent wrenches, and one of my favorites: the crescent vice-grip:
-TJ

Reactions: KonzaLander

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
That is SO much better than what I have going for the actual hand-tool organization. I also have a RZR so I have an Action Packer that fits into a rack on the back of the RZR:
View attachment 136803
(not mine, stock photo from manufacturer)

Mine is actually configured the other way, cooler more re-ward you can just see it here:
View attachment 136804

Thus far for Overlanding I've just been taking it out of the RZR and throwing it in the WJ (I take out the RZR-specific stuff like the spare drive belts). I also throw a bunch of my Dewalt tools, a 12 ton bottle jack, etc. into the WJ in either another bin, or down in the the footwell of one of the back seats.

As for what's actually in the Action Packer, I have a "Dirt Bagz" in it for the handtools:
View attachment 136805

It's a nice bag, but everything is just tossed in. There's no organization and the tools get beat up pretty badly. I have a similar assortment of tools as you (though no torque wrench) but I also carry small spools of black and red wire and lots of butt-connectors, terminal ends, etc. and wire crimpers. I'm actually a big fan of having these: in the tool kit. I'd say it's been the case that we need to repair wiring or hot-wire something just as often as we need to do a mechanical repair. So all of that goes in the Dirt Bagz, and the bag goes inside the Action Packer.

Then I also throw in my little lithium jump pack, some real jumper cables, a check-ball siphon hose (so you don't have to such fuel... which is no bueno and never seems to work without somebody getting a mouth full), a good assortment of zip-ties (including some really long/heavy-duty ones), Colby valve stem, tire plug kit, some ratchet straps and probably some other junk I'm forgetting.

I'm about due for a re-inventory and re-organize session on the tool kit. Oh, and I also throw in one of these: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/1000642747 (that might not be the exact one). I scored it during a 50% off sale so I actually grabbed a couple. One to keep in the WJ and one for the 5th Wheel. Between what's in that kit and what's in the kit from the RZR I have a fighting chance at fixing most anything. The biggest difference with the WJ is I need more, bigger tools. So I added more large combo wrenches (making sure I have 2 of the sizes that fit the jam-nuts and such on my suspension and steering components) as well larger crescent wrenches, and one of my favorites: the crescent vice-grip:
-TJ
I used to carry all of my tool gear in a fabric bag. It worked fine, but it was a Tetris act getting it all to fit. I like the tool rolls since everything is on display and easy to find. Don't get to excited about the torque wrench I carry. It was a $9.99 sale at Harbor Freight. While it can be useful for torquing, my primary objective was more leverage with it. And yep...I am going to have to get one of those crescent vice-grips. That is such a universal tool!

My tool selection has been custom tailored for me and my Land Cruiser, but I have some SAE sockets so that I could assist another rig if necessary. Each time I have a common part to replace or maintain at home, I like to pull out my tools rolls to try and get the job done. This helps me find the short comings of my tool selection when I am at home and in the garage vs. in need on the trail. I do plan to replace the claw hammer with a big ball-peen (5lb sledge is just too much for a rig tool kit) since I have a small claw in the camp kit. I do keep a few spare parts on board, but I don't really include those as part of a tool kit.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I use a goruck backpack. Large zippers, opens like a suitcase, lifetime warranty.

I keep just the essentials, hex bits, wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, gorilla tape, and some hex wrenches.

I bike lock it to another bag of tow strap to my rear seats mounts.