What do you air down to?

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I just set and tested my deflaters to 18. I'll see how I like the tires there and decided if I should go up or down accordingly. Tested out my new viair compressor too. Took 2 minutes a tire to go from 18 back to 37. Not bad in my opinion.
Iv'e got the ViAir 400p and LOVE it!!!

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

@Trixter404 What inflator did you end up with? My ARB inflator is JUNK.
@stringtwelve Actually, I have learned a bit about the 400p that I didn't know before upgrading my inflator. There are 2 models, the 400p and the 400p-Automatic. The 400p requires an open-chuck inflator...I initially found this out (and confirmed later) when I blew the air hose just after I finished inflating my tires the last time out. I was using a trigger-style inflator (Campbell Hausfeld MP6000) because I hate the inflator that came with it:

So, now I ordered the 400p-Auto which stops after the internal pressures reaches 145 psi. I'll be selling the non-Auto version very shortly.

As for the Campbell Hausfeld inflator, it's okay...I haven't yet found one that's perfect. It seems like the gauges are always off by a few psi. I read some bad reviews on the ARB and avoided that one.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Of course as others have said it really depends on the terrain I will be traveling. I will frequently go down to about 8PSI but am running dual bead locks with 35" BFG KM2s.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Typically about 20 on my duratracs. Still stable at higher speeds but softer in the rough.
Sometimes lower if terrain requires it.

Have used stauns for years, but recently bought the ARB rapid deflator, and I can do all four tires with that quicker than the stauns.

Nice unit.

ARB ARB505 E-Z Deflator

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Have used stauns for years, but recently bought the ARB rapid deflator, and I can do all four tires with that quicker than the stauns.

Nice unit.

ARB ARB505 E-Z Deflator
I did the same, used Stauns for about 9 years and just switched to the ARB rapid deflator back in May. So far been really happy with it but still carry the Stauns in case anybody else needs to use them.