What do I really need for recovery gear?

• HTML tutorial

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

Hello Overland Bound, What do I really need for recovery gear? I have read many different topics on this but when it comes to buying a kit I still cant decided.

I have a 2016 Toyota 4runner and it will weigh approximately 5800 - 6000 lbs when finished. I have a bunch of friends suggesting the cheapest options and others suggesting the most expensive options.

So just for clarification I am asking about straps, tree savers, blocks?, shackles. I will have shovel, hi-lift jack, axe, and maxxtrax. I also purchased a TJM Winch I felt it was a good deal.

I have been leaning towards a BUBBAROPE Rock and Roll Recovery Kit but was unsure of the rope size. Should I buy a kit or piece one together?

Thank you all for the assistance. I hope I didn't ramble to much.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I wouldn't bother with a winch, hi lift, AND come-along!

I have
-2x tree savers
-1x ARB705 snatch strap
-1x 65' synthetic winch extension line
-4x shackles (came in a set for a steal)
-1x 5000lb ratcheting strap (for anything from setting up a tent to stabilizing a rig)
-2x Speedmaster traction mats
-1x tire repair kit
-1x Axe
-1x Shovel
-2x small fire extinguishers

I might affix 2x12s under the Speedmasters to use them for light bridging and tire packing.

I also have a 60" Hi Lift and a Lift-Mate, and am almost done with my winching system that will allow me to use the hi-lift to winch about 30 feet as required. Once I build my bumpers Ill be using a Smittybuilt 9500lb winch and carrying one snatch block.

Eventually I will buy a PullPal as well.

*edit*

Keep forgetting to list stuff lol.

Last edited:

CDN Offroader

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

St. Albert, AB, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Houghtaling
Member #

You guys make me feel like I need more recovery gear. I have a winch, shovel, and a hi-lift. 1 tree-saver, a pulley that came with the winch, and a 30' tow strap. I guess it depends how often you get stuck, how often you wheel with others( can share gear, less load on the rig)

That Bubba rope kit looks nice, for Rope selection -
Which Bubba Rope do I need?
There is no official working load limit on using Kinetic Energy Recovery Ropes. However, from experience we recommend that the best method in selecting the right rope is by multiplying the weight of the vehicle you are recovering by 3 or 4 times and then selecting the rope that has a breaking strength that is equal to or higher than that number. For example: if you are going to be recovering vehicles similar in size to a Jeep Wrangler which weighs approximately 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. our Renegade Bubba Rope with a breaking strength of 19,000 lbs. would be perfect for that application. Similarly, half-ton pickups that usually weigh around 6,000 lbs. the best fit would be our Original Bubba with a breaking strength of 28,600 lbs. If you still have questions of which rope to select just call or email us and we would be happy to recommend the best fit for your use.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
I have a 3" strap from wheelers for static pulls, a 7/8" rope from southeast overland for Kinetic pulls, a couple of shackles and two soft shackles. I prefer the soft shackles by the way. I carry a small shovel, tire deflator and air compressor. Proper tire pressure will do wonders for recoveries.

For me this is enough since I never go out alone. If you do a winch is important. My next purchase will be a set of maxtrax

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: BCBrian and Bk6418

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

Thank you all this has been very helpful.

I currently have the following:

leather gloves, axe, shovel, 2x plastic fire extinguishers, Schumacher Power station, and a TJM 12000lbs stealth series winch

I plan on buying this:
- Recovery Kit w/ 7/8"x 20' recovery rope rated to 28,000 lbs. It includes:
  • 2x Synthetic Shackles
  • 10' Tree Hugger protector strap
  • Winch line damper/tool pouch
  • Pair of 1" x 6' Bubba Rope camo ratchet tie-downs
  • Life “Rock” Guard
  • Tire storage bag
- A set of Maxtrax
- 1x tire repair kit HD
- Hi-lift jack
- all metal fire extinguishers
- Second set of Synthetic Shackles (will these work everywhere or do I really need D-Rings)
- Second Tree saver
- Snatch Block (unsure on the size I need for the synthetic rope , I am going to a recovery class soon and will wait to purchase most of this until after the class)
- Tow straps (Different than recovery ropes)

Again thank you for the assistance.

Last edited:

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

Thank you all this has been very helpful.

I currently have the following:

leather gloves, axe, shovel, 2x plastic fire extinguishers, Schumacher Power station, and a TJM 12000lbs stealth series winch

I plan on buying this:
- Recovery Kit w/ 7/8"x 20' recovery rope rated to 28,000 lbs. It includes:
  • 2x Synthetic Shackles
  • 10' Tree Hugger protector strap
  • Winch line damper/tool pouch
  • Pair of 1" x 6' Bubba Rope camo ratchet tie-downs
  • Life “Rock” Guard
  • Tire storage bag
- A set of Maxtrax
- 1x tire repair kit HD
- Hi-lift jack
- all metal fire extinguishers
- Second set of Synthetic Shackles (will these work everywhere or do I really need D-Rings)
- Second Tree saver
- Snatch Block (unsure on the size I need for the synthetic rope , I am going to a recovery class soon and will wait to purchase most of this until after the class)
- Tow straps (Different than recovery ropes)

Again thank you for the assistance.
Synthetic shackles are great. Especially for joining two straps together. Personally I would not use them on any metal recovery point that has sharp or squared edges. I'd rather use a metal shackles in that case.

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

You have a pretty good plan already. Mostly, it what you can afford. I agree with @Lindenwood about the come-along.
What would be the size of the come-along I should buy? Any brands you guys suggest over others?

Synthetic shackles are great. Especially for joining two straps together. Personally I would not use them on any metal recovery point that has sharp or squared edges. I'd rather use a metal shackles in that case.
I plan on carrying a few shackles now as well. I find myself helping out most of the time so it would be nice to have the capability to do different types of recoveries and the soft shackles though they have the strength would be the wrong tool for that job.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4

Explore Maine

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hartland Maine
Member #

IMG_0114.JPG
I find myself majority of the time on fire roads and logging roads. I have a recovery strap, folding shovel and 3 shackles, 2 are located in the front connected to my frame and 1 in the rear connected to my trailer hitch. I am starting to look into recovery boards. Do you have any other suggestions on what I should carry.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Something a lot of people forget about when it comes to recovery gear, is what is on the vehicle for recovery points. You can have all the best gear money can buy, but if the attachment point is not up for the job, you will stay stuck, break something, or injure someone. You want solid, frame mounted recovery points. Recovery tabs that are welded to a bumper should have good penetrating welds. That bumper needs to be attached to the frame with grade 8 nuts and bolts. If you're going to run a winch, the frame and bumper needs to not twist under heavy loads. If the recovery point is a bolt on, it needs to have a thick backing plate around 1/4" so it doesn't rip off bumper.

I don't trust "Devil Horns". Those tapered hook, usually mounted upside down so nothing is really secure. Some will have a spring tab to keep a hook from slipping off, but really, they just make it harder to attach a hook or shackle.

Most vehicles have loops welded to the frame. These are tie down points for transport from the factory. They are not a rated recovery point. They are usually too far under the body, and can cause damage to a strap if it rubs on something like a sharp corner.

Generally speaking, at the very minimum, you want a good recovery strap or KERR, and a couple shackles. A quality shackle, like a Van Beest or Crosby, will cost about half as much as a soft shackle. There are always trade-offs with anything, so you vehicle's setup will help determine what you need first.

The other most important piece of recovery gear is your brain. Ask yourself, does this look safe? Go with your gut feeling most of the time. Get some proper training and it'll be easier to make that call out in the field.

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

View attachment 19557
I find myself majority of the time on fire roads and logging roads. I have a recovery strap, folding shovel and 3 shackles, 2 are located in the front connected to my frame and 1 in the rear connected to my trailer hitch. I am starting to look into recovery boards. Do you have any other suggestions on what I should carry.
Have you considered a come-a-long, tree saver, and another shackle for the tree set up? That would give you one more way to self recover if needed. As far as recovery boards are concerned it looks like the Maxtrax are the way to go but there are a few cheaper options.

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

Something a lot of people forget about when it comes to recovery gear, is what is on the vehicle for recovery points. You can have all the best gear money can buy, but if the attachment point is not up for the job, you will stay stuck, break something, or injure someone. You want solid, frame mounted recovery points. Recovery tabs that are welded to a bumper should have good penetrating welds. That bumper needs to be attached to the frame with grade 8 nuts and bolts. If you're going to run a winch, the frame and bumper needs to not twist under heavy loads. If the recovery point is a bolt on, it needs to have a thick backing plate around 1/4" so it doesn't rip off bumper.

I don't trust "Devil Horns". Those tapered hook, usually mounted upside down so nothing is really secure. Some will have a spring tab to keep a hook from slipping off, but really, they just make it harder to attach a hook or shackle.

Most vehicles have loops welded to the frame. These are tie down points for transport from the factory. They are not a rated recovery point. They are usually too far under the body, and can cause damage to a strap if it rubs on something like a sharp corner.

Generally speaking, at the very minimum, you want a good recovery strap or KERR, and a couple shackles. A quality shackle, like a Van Beest or Crosby, will cost about half as much as a soft shackle. There are always trade-offs with anything, so you vehicle's setup will help determine what you need first.

The other most important piece of recovery gear is your brain. Ask yourself, does this look safe? Go with your gut feeling most of the time. Get some proper training and it'll be easier to make that call out in the field.
Great information thank you. I am a Quality Engineer so fully understand the importance of the welding of the recovery points. I will make sure when the new bumper is installed we ensure or add the correct backing plate. I wasn't familiar with the bolt/nut grades but 20 minutes on Google and I know now how to identify those and where to source them if my bumper doesn't come with them.

My military days taught me to never trust the "Devil Horns" but thank you.

The tie down points I have been trying to tell some local guys that they were not suitable for recovery but they still do it. This one guy has full-time shackles mounted to his but I can only say is so much.

Unfamiliar with "KERR" so I will read later about that and Shackles buy quality ones got it. I am planning to go to Overland Expo East and attend a few recovery classes. Thank you for the great information.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Great information thank you. I am a Quality Engineer so fully understand the importance of the welding of the recovery points. I will make sure when the new bumper is installed we ensure or add the correct backing plate. I wasn't familiar with the bolt/nut grades but 20 minutes on Google and I know now how to identify those and where to source them if my bumper doesn't come with them.

My military days taught me to never trust the "Devil Horns" but thank you.

The tie down points I have been trying to tell some local guys that they were not suitable for recovery but they still do it. This one guy has full-time shackles mounted to his but I can only say is so much.

Unfamiliar with "KERR" so I will read later about that and Shackles buy quality ones got it. I am planning to go to Overland Expo East and attend a few recovery classes. Thank you for the great information.
About the tie down points. Yeah, there's only so much you can say, and people will just do what they want to do.

Glad to help. The KERR stands for Kinetic Energy Recovery Rope. It's the generic term for a Bubba Rope, which is a company that sells them.

OE is a great place to learn your recovery skills. Last year I spent my entire weekend with the Camel Trophy guys. I'd lend a hand where I could during and after classes, and just kept sucking up all of their stories and information.

Reactions: Bk6418

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I have a set of Maxtrax that I take with me and a small shovel that I bought at Home Depot. I also have a few tow straps and some heavy duty shackles I bought from a farm store that are rated for some absurdly high amount. That's it though and looking through this thread it looks like a come-a-long might be a worthwhile investment. I don't want a winch since I'd probably never use it and it's not only expensive but also heavy.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Check the rating of the come-a-long before you purchase one. Most aren't rated as high as the Hi-Lift and might not work to get you out if you're really stuck.

Reactions: macr88

jwhughes3

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Most "come-a-longs" I don't trust to hold up - the HiLift can double as one in a pinch so carry one of those with a wide base that can be used to dig.
A folding saw. Recovery strap and soft shackles (I've been converted). Best recovery device is your brain and another vehicle.

Bk6418

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, Georgia
Member #

Just an update: I ended up purchasing an ARB frt bumper. I first want to say thank you all for the information. Secondly I want to talk about another peice of recovery gear essential to recovery.

To many time I have seen while reading about recoveries where some one attempts a recovey fron a factory tie down. This is not only dangerous and not rated for this shear load but you can also damage you rig. So for that reason I added the ARB recovery points to my recovery gear. I feel this will create a base for any recovery I may need as well as the safety and confidence to recover others.

Again thank you all

Sent from my SM-G935P using OB Talk mobile app